dac+/amp for HE-560 & others
May 29, 2018 at 8:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

mitjok

New Head-Fier
Hello currently I have a HifiMan HE-560 with 4pin xlr cable.
I had using them directly from my pc sound card, but I don't like how they sound and I decided to get some dac+/amp.
I'm looking for a dac/amp or dac+amp that will have 4pin xlr and 1/4 connectors.

I have viewed some:
amp/dac:
Questyle CMA400i, Audio-gd NFB 28.28, Sony TA-ZH1ES, Oppo ha-1, Schiit JOTUNHEIM, Aune S6.

amp:
Audio-gd NFB-1AMP, Cayin iHA-6 Balanced Headphone Amp, Pro-Ject Head Box DS2 B, Schiit MJOLNIR 2, Aune S7, HPA RS 08.

And some dac's but I forgot to write them in my notepad.

I don't want to spend a lot, but I can afford about 1600 euro. Would be great if the price will be lower.

What you can advise to choose, your options are welcome.

In the future I will get some other headphones.

Thanks!

May 29, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #2 of 11
I have the HiFi man HE-560.

I've used it with these DACs

LH Labs Geek Out V2A
Schiit Audio Jotunheim Multibit
Schiit Audio Yggdrasil v2

I'm currently using the Yggy v2 -> Jot headphone via balanced output

I think the Jotunheim Multibit is a great all in one value component.
Offers a lot in terms of input/output and gain change.
I don't know about the other products you listed.

Good luck.

Mike

May 30, 2018 at 3:25 AM Post #3 of 11
Mike thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately Jotunheim with Multibit at the moment is not available in EU stores.
I'll look at other options, but if it will be available I'll think about purchasing it.

Thanks!

May 31, 2018 at 2:51 AM Post #5 of 11
I don't want to spend a lot, but I can afford about 1600 euro. Would be great if the price will be lower.

What you can advise to choose, your options are welcome.

You can just save up a bit more to get an amp with more peace of mind from local product support with the Violectric V281. It has optional DAC boards too.

May 31, 2018 at 4:12 PM Post #6 of 11
Thank you Oscar. I like Keces S3, but it is very hard to find any store that is selling it in europe :frowning2:
I would like to get something more affordable.

Violectric V281

A great amp, but I don't think I need so hi end amp at the moment, thank you for your advice.

Jun 1, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #7 of 11
A great amp, but I don't think I need so hi end amp at the moment, thank you for your advice.

It's just a bit more than what you're willing to spend right now but ticks all your requirements, plus you have peace of mind for nearer product support.

If you don't buy the amp now and wait a few months, you'd have the money for the V281, and you might be willing to spend that much on them then.

Otherwise why not just not run balanced? You can get a V200 for a lot less money.

Jun 1, 2018 at 7:39 PM Post #9 of 11
If you don't like your car do you buy a new engine or trade in for something you love? My point is you are trying to fix an inherent headphone problem by altering what drives it. The overall sound signature of the 560 is not going away.

I suggest going with the 400i or going all out for something like the MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Open. That is my best advice since I've been down your road many times.

Jun 18, 2018 at 4:28 AM Post #10 of 11
Thank you all for your recommendations, few days ago got my Violectric V280.
Now my 560 sounds much better and loud enough.

What can you advise for DAC? I'm not going to buy it now, but after a while when there will be an opportunity.
Price up to 600 euro.

And is there a difference between connecting AMP and DAC through xlr or rca?
I know that V280 is converting signal from rca to balanced.

Thanks!

Jun 18, 2018 at 7:40 AM Post #11 of 11
For that price, I would get a Denafrips Ares. Second choice would be the Chord Mojo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back