DAC/AMP for HD 598s
Jul 12, 2012 at 9:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Markcso

New Head-Fier
Hi all. After looking around for a while, I've decided to go with HD 598s for my first high-end headphones. I can't decide what to use to power them though. I will be using my desktop for all listening with these, so I figures a sound card would be best. The Asus Xonar STX in particular. The problem is, I keep seeing threads about how it's a bad idea to use this card and these headphones for some reason. I'm not really willing to spend more than $200 for any DAC/amp/whatever. What's my best option? I know very little about impedance or really much anything at all. Just want nice headphones for listening to music (Rush, Styx, Daft Punk). Thanks!

EDIT: Would the Maverick TubeMagic be good? Which one is best? I have an MSI z77GD-65 mobo, what kind of cable would I need to connect to the Maverick?

Jul 12, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #2 of 5
Ok....I own the hd595's, which are the same as what you have....first of all, they don't need to be amped...but I would go with a dac if you choose too...the headphones you have are 50 ohm headphones....I have the hd595's, and the hd650's, which are 300 ohm headphones...see my point?

Jul 12, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:
Hi all. After looking around for a while, I've decided to go with HD 598s for my first high-end headphones. I can't decide what to use to power them though. I will be using my desktop for all listening with these, so I figures a sound card would be best. The Asus Xonar STX in particular. The problem is, I keep seeing threads about how it's a bad idea to use this card and these headphones for some reason. I'm not really willing to spend more than $200 for any DAC/amp/whatever. What's my best option? I know very little about impedance or really much anything at all. Just want nice headphones for listening to music (Rush, Styx, Daft Punk). Thanks!

EDIT: Would the Maverick TubeMagic be good? Which one is best? I have an MSI z77GD-65 mobo, what kind of cable would I need to connect to the Maverick?

STX is not perfect for headphones with low impedance, and especially those that are bass light and on the bright side of neutral on their own, because STX is a very analytical and detailed sounding sound card, to me its not neutral, its leaning towards bright and bass light.  Something like Q701 + STX is painful to listen to for me. I guess HD598 would be similar. STX is a really an amazing DAC for something like HD650's.

Jul 12, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #4 of 5
O2 amp+ Odac? a bit over budget tho. 

Jul 12, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

The STX's has an impedance of 10-Ohms, which is fine for headphones that are 80-Ohms or higher.
But it's really not that negative for 50-Ohm headphones.
Are you looking for something like Dolby Headphone 7.1 surround sound for movies and gaming (STX good choice).
Or just to play music, 2-channel audio?

For just music, the Fiio E10 USB-DAC-Headphone amplifier ($80) should work well with the HD598.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back