D7000 - Fact or Fiction???
Jan 5, 2012 at 12:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Gclef

Head-Fier
There "IS" in fact a break-in period for these headphones?

My experience:  disappointment out of the box, they seemed quite boomy AND veiled at the same time.  I let 'em burn overnight last night and could only listen to them for about 5 minutes before running out the door this morning, but from what I heard I was happy, they "seemed" better, or maybe I should say I like what I heard for that brief listen (?)  I'll report further after I listen to them again tonight.

You get accustomed to the sound signature after listening to the same pair of headphones for awhile, which makes them sound better?

Prior to getting these headphones, I had been using Grado SR60's.  Maybe this caused my first impression to be altered?  At first I thought the Grado's were cleaner - the D7000's seemed to have a lot of reverb or echoey-ness ( <-- newly invented word) compared to the sharp SR60's.  Yes, I'm aware of the difference between open and closed cans.  I really need closed cans.  Maybe I just chose the wrong ones?

Is there any truth to either of these phenomena's?  I have 30 days to return the Denon's - I'll see how things play out in the next couple of weeks, I was just curious what others thought???

Jan 5, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #2 of 35
My d7000's were pretty disappointing at first. After a few days, they really opened up, and my god do they sound amazing. I can't say whether it is getting used to the signature or actual burn-in, but I can say that there is *something*.
I'd give them a weeks worth of good use before making any decisions.

Jan 5, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #4 of 35
My old D7000 sounded exactly the same from first day to many, many, hundreds of hours later.

What can change the sound is mostly you yourself. There have been instances where my DT990's treble sounded quite rolled off, and if you know how the DT990's treble is, it's anything BUT rolled off. Like a whole different headphone.

The phenomena has happened where I would go from the HE4 to D7000. The D7000 would sound incredibly muddy and veiled. Once I got used to the sound and went back to the HE4, the He4 sounded like it was ALL treble, all the time. You have to spend a good while with headphones so your ears can get accustomed to them.

Jan 5, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #5 of 35
Taowolf51 - *something* is exactly what I felt this morning, I think you're right on the money.

Quote:
My old D7000 sounded exactly the same from first day to many, many, hundreds of hours later.
What can change the sound is mostly you yourself. There have been instances where my DT990's treble sounded quite rolled off, and if you know how the DT990's treble is, it's anything BUT rolled off. Like a whole different headphone.
The phenomena has happened where I would go from the HE4 to D7000. The D7000 would sound incredibly muddy and veiled. Once I got used to the sound and went back to the HE4, the He4 sounded like it was ALL treble, all the time. You have to spend a good while with headphones so your ears can get accustomed to them.

I had first picked up a used pair of D2000's, I loved the sound signature and really enjoyed those headphones, I just wished they were tighter/cleaner, which is why I chose to trade up to the D7000's.  I guess I was just surprised at first listen when I didn't notice much of a difference.  I wish I could have compared them side by side.  I've never been a true believer that 'burn-in' could make a 'substantial' difference, however, this could possibly change my point of view (?) 

Jan 5, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #6 of 35

Quote:
Taowolf51 - *something* is exactly what I felt this morning, I think you're right on the money.

If you notice it, I'd definitely give it a few days, and listen to them as much as you can. They go from boring to oh-my-god fairly quickly.
I used to be a strong believer in burn-in, but I'm slowly moving over to the "brain-in" side (your brain adjusts to the sound signature). I do very much believe that there is *something* as I explained earlier, because I noticed "brain-in"/burn-in before I even new what either were.

Quote:

Listening to a large number of headphones can really alter how you hear each (in my experience). You never really totally get used to a pair of headphones when you cycle between a bunch. It's usually why I like to be much more monogamous with headphones, so I can really get to know everything about their signature. I only wish my D7000's were portable enough to take to work. I listen to my Pro 750's at work, and I think it's altering my experience with the D7000's. I'll have to figure out how to move the D7000's to work.

Jan 5, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #7 of 35
What system are you plugging the D7000 into?

Jan 5, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #8 of 35
I'm using an iBasso D6 (dac/amp).  It's enough to clean up the signal and play at moderate volumes, I think it sounds great.  Significantly better than plugging directly into a DAP, but not as rewarding as a Burson HA-160D of course.

I seem to be on the same page as Taowolf51.  *Something"* changes from the 1 minute mark to the ~1week mark.  I believe the equipment changes 'slightly' from new/stiff, which is then compounded by the adjustment and familiarity of your brain.  All in all, there's definitely a change to some degree.  I guess I'm just hoping to get a similar result - even going from boring to 'Very Nice' would be a welcome change.

Quote:
What system are you plugging the D7000 into?

Jan 6, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #9 of 35
I noticed a change in the D7k over time. There was definitely a change in the first month (or so) of ownership. The most apparent change was in the bottom end. They were very slightly boomy at first, but that lessened. The rest of the spectrum seemed to remain constant.

Jan 9, 2012 at 8:50 AM Post #10 of 35
I noticed considerable difference after 150 hrs. bass became tighter and more focused and the sound stage felt like it snapped into place. I noticed this more than any other headphone i have owned new. There was a substantial difference enough that made me keep them the first time I owned them. I love these headphones especially for the comfort.

Jan 9, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #11 of 35
Going from SR60s to AH-D7000s is like going from cold water to hot water. One is clear and in the treble range and the other is mid-echo-ie <made-up word. It just takes time for your brain to sort out the new listening immersion. With the right gear and tweeking you can get the mids totally clear. The AH-D7000s are fantastic!

Jan 9, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #12 of 35
I agree that there is *something* with headphones. I believe in a mixture between both getting accustomed to a specific sound signature and the pure mechanical "drivers getting a little loosened up". The headphones probably doesn't change too much during burn in, but some seem to be more sensitive to hearing the changes. There seems to be too many accounts of said "burn in" to completely ignore it. My old socilogy professor once said "If there are enough stories about a certain phenomenon, and it is possible to attempt falsifying it - then it is probably worth attempting it".

However, whether it is burn in or "brain in" doesn't actually matter. Leave the burn in vs brain burn in debate to those willing to engage in it..

What matters is that you start liking them more and more. 

Jan 9, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #13 of 35
RedCarMoose - I agree 100%.  Great extremes in those 2 headphones.  I let the D7000's cook for at least 50 hours over the past 4 days, and at first listen after that, they sounded great.  I'm still getting some of that "echoey-cloudy" feeling on some material, but it seems much improved.  Or so my brain thinks so anyway.  And as Coq de Combat has correctly pointed out - that's what really matters - the fact that you simply enjoy and grow with them. 

I'm currently using an iBasso D6 portable amp, it's quite transparent and seems to work very well.  HOWEVER, in my quest to achieve (my) perfect sound, I just purchased a used Yulong D100.  I don't know if or how much of a difference this amp will make, but if there's anything I learned, the only way to know for sure is to listen myself.  So I will.  Maybe there will be an improvement in clarity, separation, and soundstage - maybe not, but I need to find out.  I really do love these headphones and will keep them no matter what.  But if there's a chance to improve on the 90% perfection I already have, I have to at least give it a shot.  Thanks for everyone's thoughts, I do appreciate it !!

Mar 8, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #14 of 35

Not enough posters list what source and system they use with their headphones.

I am a new owner of the D7000 who is unhappy with the bass. But i realize it could be the fact i havent burned in yet, and the fact that i plug the headphones directly into an Apple Itouch with varied MP3 quality (144..192, and 44hz).

I also know i need an amp dac to clean up the bass. No idea where to begin there.
I will look into the Ibasso D6 Gclef mentioned above.

Mar 8, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #15 of 35
Regarding burn-in, read here

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/measurement-and-audibility-headphone-break

Bottom line: "If they sound lousy out of the box, but they start sounding a lot better as you listen to them over time, it's your amazingly versatile brain figuring out how to cope with the world. The miracle is in your head ... not in the headphones"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back