D7 Sidewinder....Initial impressions
Apr 13, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #572 of 680
Thank you so much for your replies guys, newbie in headphones and forums (fora!) in general but it is more than clear that we have a very beautiful community here!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #573 of 680

Quote:
However the main use would be to replace my FiiO E10 and play with my Beyerdynamic DT880/250 and Sennheiser HD650.

I have the D7, E10 and DT880/250.  The D7 goes really well with the DT880, although the built-in amp of the D7 is somewhat quieter than that of the E10.  I don't really listen to music loudly, so it isn't an actual issue for me, but it could be more noticeable for someone who really likes loud music with the DT880 (but generally only for albums recorded/mixed poorly).  Of course, if you're using an external amp, then it doesn't matter--I sometimes use the JDSLabs C421 with the D7, which I really like a lot as a combo.  The D7 is a noticeable upgrade to the E10, although I wouldn't call it a huge difference.  The initial thing I noticed is the soundstage--not as much whether it is deeper or wider, but more that the D7 simply sounds more natural.  The E10 is really impressive for the money, although the soundstage sometimes sounded a bit artificial, with an almost reverb-like effect sometimes.  In contrast, the D7's soundstage just sounded more natural overall, and it also had slightly cleaner highs.  The D7's built-in amp is a tad warm--not a lot, but is noticeable since the DT880 is also a tad warm, so the two together add-up to a small yet detectable amount of warmth.

Apr 14, 2012 at 8:14 AM Post #574 of 680

Quote:

I didn't try the DACPort before so I can't comment on it but you will need to find a 1/4" connector to RCA cable which is not so common. I don't think anyone will be disappointed with choosing the D7 =)

Just FYI...
Probably they know it's hard to find so they made one that sells for $75.
However (DACport with RCA cable)  vs  (D7) = $475 vs $200 (aprox)!

http://centrance.com/products/reserveseries/

Apr 14, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #575 of 680
The information I received from iBasso of the D7's output power is as follows:

165mW into 32ohm & 17.5mW into 300ohm
Output impedence <1 ohm

I'm new to amping but this figures basically means it's more suited to driving iems and hd25 amperior and the like, correct?

Nevertheless, I've ordered the D7 mainly for functioning as my laptop's DAC and driving my SE535 LE and EX1000..

Apr 18, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #576 of 680
I read somewhere that D7 does great with sensitive IEMs, so I bought one after selling my E7. Plugged into my IBM T420 the first time today, the noise was BAD!! Then, I tried with my MBP. A power warning popped up, but it still functions. It is definitely quieter than plugged into my PC, but there's still a noticeable hight pitch noise when the playback like is on. Does this happen to everyone with IEMs? Does it go away as it burns in?

Thanks everyone! I'm so new to this...

Apr 18, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #577 of 680

Quote:
I read somewhere that D7 does great with sensitive IEMs, so I bought one after selling my E7. Plugged into my IBM T420 the first time today, the noise was BAD!! Then, I tried with my MBP. A power warning popped up, but it still functions. It is definitely quieter than plugged into my PC, but there's still a noticeable hight pitch noise when the playback like is on. Does this happen to everyone with IEMs? Does it go away as it burns in?

Thanks everyone! I'm so new to this...

Yes, I get a terrible squeal too with most of my "sensitive" IEMs on the D7, but the Ety ER4S (insensitive IEM) is dead quiet as usual. I have tried it on 2 different laptops and 2 different desktops - same result.

It is definitely in the amp section because I can go Computer --USB--> D7 --Coaxial--> FiiO E17 --Headphone Out--> SE535/SE425/W4/UM2 etc and there will be no squeal.

I have been running my D7 for over a month straight now (I don't turn off my PC). The squeal is still there, so I doubt it will go away with burn in.

Apr 18, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #578 of 680

Quote:

Yes, I get a terrible squeal too with most of my "sensitive" IEMs on the D7, but the Ety ER4S (insensitive IEM) is dead quiet as usual. I have tried it on 2 different laptops and 2 different desktops - same result.

It is definitely in the amp section because I can go Computer --USB--> D7 --Coaxial--> FiiO E17 --Headphone Out--> SE535/SE425/W4/UM2 etc and there will be no squeal.

I have been running my D7 for over a month straight now (I don't turn off my PC). The squeal is still there, so I doubt it will go away with burn in.

You're using the digital out of the D7, so you're bypassing the DAC too. You can't say it's only the amplifier then. It could be the DAC. It could be the analog power rails being dirty.

To make sure it's really the amplifier, you'd have to isolate it from the rest of the circuit. Try that : Computer --USB--> D7 --Line Out--> FiiO E17 --Headphone Out--> Headphones

That way, you will be using the DAC of the D7, but the amplifier of the E17. If you get the same noise, then the noise is not from the amplifier, but from the DAC. Heck, you could even plug your headphones directly into the Line Out jack at the front of the D7 to test that.

My bet is the noise is from the analog power rails, so you will get the noise either ways.

Apr 18, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #579 of 680

Hmmm. It might be a deal-breaker for me. Sometimes the noise bugs the crap out of me. And the D7 screams when I plugged it into my T420.

You're using the digital out of the D7, so you're bypassing the DAC too. You can't say it's only the amplifier then.

Am I correct that signal goes to Xmos receiver chip --> DAC --> Amp then my headphones? I'm not really sure what all the jacks are on my D7 and which one bypass what. Help...

Apr 19, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #580 of 680

Quote:

You're using the digital out of the D7, so you're bypassing the DAC too. You can't say it's only the amplifier then. It could be the DAC. It could be the analog power rails being dirty.

To make sure it's really the amplifier, you'd have to isolate it from the rest of the circuit. Try that : Computer --USB--> D7 --Line Out--> FiiO E17 --Headphone Out--> Headphones

That way, you will be using the DAC of the D7, but the amplifier of the E17. If you get the same noise, then the noise is not from the amplifier, but from the DAC. Heck, you could even plug your headphones directly into the Line Out jack at the front of the D7 to test that.

My bet is the noise is from the analog power rails, so you will get the noise either ways.

Thanks for the correction. Tried it through the D7 line out, no squeal. So that means it is not the DAC?

On a related note, how good is the amp section in the D7 anyway?

Apr 19, 2012 at 5:09 AM Post #581 of 680
Ordered the D7 on Fri, shipped on Monday and received it on Tuesday..

Just a minor issue, does any of the D7 users experience the music getting interrupted/"hiccups" for a few milliseconds, then resumes playing normally?

Is it due to the usb cable or usb port?

Apr 19, 2012 at 7:38 AM Post #582 of 680

Quote:
Ordered the D7 on Fri, shipped on Monday and received it on Tuesday..

Just a minor issue, does any of the D7 users experience the music getting interrupted/"hiccups" for a few milliseconds, then resumes playing normally?

Is it due to the usb cable or usb port?

It should be due to your computer lagging.

Apr 19, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #583 of 680
If you are under windows try to use foobar and change the output to ASIO, normaly this protocol is installed with the USB driver for the D7
Please give also more information about your computer, OS and player used ...

Apr 19, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #585 of 680

Quote:
Using windows 7 64 bit & foobar.. didnt download the aiso component though..
laptop using Q9100 cpu with 4 gb ram..
yup think most prob it's due to my com lagging..

I have only used it under Winxp, but you have a 4 core processor CPU at more than 2 Ghz, this is largely enough to support a USB 2.0 troughput of 5 Mb/s for you audio card. ( FLAC files are usually at ~ 1Mb/s)

Try to install Asio4all : http://www.asio4all.com/

Windows 7 is supported : Combined 32/64 bit version, supports Win 98SE/ME/2k/XP/MCE/2003/XP64 and Vista/Windows 7 x86/x64

Do you have installed the Ibasso driver ? : http://www.ibasso.com/en/download/index.asp

Under Foobar change the output to ASIO4ALL, in the property panel of ASIO4all activate/select your XMOS USB Audio card , hope this will help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back