D7 Sidewinder....Initial impressions
Mar 2, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #451 of 680

Quote:
I do realize it's just the preview but I thought it was weird that it said it was drawing too much power when it didn't do that with Windows 7.  The power consumption is the same.  It sucks because the D7 sounds so much better than the E7.  Hopefully I can find a solution or it looks like it's time for a new DAC.  Windows 8 looks too nice to go back to Windows 7.  

It says the same thing on Mac and it still function as per normal. All the Mac users get this warning.

Mar 2, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #452 of 680
I actually love how D7 has a straight non-variable line out output from the back. That's actually what sold it for me funny enough. Variable output frustrated the hell out of me with the uDAC and how it would distort at the max levels...

Mar 2, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #454 of 680

Quote:
Variable line-out - wouldn't that defeat the purpose of line-level output?

Variable line-level output is another way of controlling volume.  For example, my main setup is an universal CD/SACD/DVD-Audio player with variable line-out running straight to a pair of active monitors.  I control system volume on the player's remote control by varying the line-level output.  Can you think of a cleaner signal path, or a simpler, more elegant way of adjusting volume?

Mar 2, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #455 of 680

Quote:
I actually love how D7 has a straight non-variable line out output from the back. That's actually what sold it for me funny enough. Variable output frustrated the hell out of me with the uDAC and how it would distort at the max levels...

Well, it has to be properly implemented, of course.  In a properly designed product, variable line-out does not distort and can be defeated by the user.  This is one of the features that sold me on the Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus which can operate in DAC or in DAC||Preamp mode.

Mar 2, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #456 of 680

Are you saying you prefer the D7 to the Bifrost? It seems like you're saying "I am hearing more low end resolution, texture and control...on the D7 compared to the Bifrost". I just want to make sure I'm understanding your statement correctly :)
Quote:
Definitely a different flavor from the Bifrost dac.  I am hearing more low end resolution, texture and control.  Perhaps better equipment matching.

Mar 2, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #457 of 680
I had the D12 + SRH840 wich I found a good pairing: bass on the Shure got tight due maybe to the relative brightness of the D12.
To me, it seemed that both tonal balances compensated each other.

Now that I have recovered the 840, I'm thinking again of getting an Ibasso. Anybody could compare D12 and D7 tonal balance wise?
I'm reading that D7 has a touch of warmth that suits some Grados. Wondering if this would be good for the 840.

Mar 2, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #458 of 680

Quote:
Variable line-level output is another way of controlling volume.  For example, my main setup is an universal CD/SACD/DVD-Audio player with variable line-out running straight to a pair of active monitors.  I control system volume on the player's remote control by varying the line-level output.  Can you think of a cleaner signal path, or a simpler, more elegant way of adjusting volume?

what you looking for is a preamp with variable output, which the D7 is not. its a DAC with an extra amp that some like.

Mar 2, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #459 of 680
Costing merely USD179, the D7 gives you:

1) USB Receiver (24bit/192khz) + DAC with fixed line RCA out to desktop headamp, pre-amp, active monitor (most active monitors have their own volume control)
2) USB Receiver + DAC with fixed line 3.5mm out to portable amp (e.g, O2)
3) USB Receiver with coaxial out to desktop DAC
4) USB Receiver + DAC + Headamp for those using headphones

I believe most of us here are glad that it doesn't have a preamp section in its RCA output because most preamps in DACs tend to degrade the sound (unless it is extremely well implemented which will bring up the cost) and we don't need it (having two preamps in the audio chain is just useless).

Those looking for preamp should look elsewhere and not beat the D7 for what it is not designed for. The D7 is already able to satisfy 99% of the people out there
normal_smile%20.gif

Mar 2, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #460 of 680
Active monitors have one volume control on each speaker. Unless you have a "out to other speaker" on the monitor, then you have to adjust the volume on both speakers. This is just not fun, and in this case, having a pre-amp out on your DAC is a lot more handy. It's also useful when your monitors are out of reach while your DAC sits on your desk. Unless you are a die-hard audiophile, there's a point where functionality is more important than sound quality. Especially when the influence said feature has on sound is arguable.

That said, the Audinst HUD is the same price as the D7 and has almost the same features. Main difference being that the Audinst has variable RCA out while the D7 has fixed out. And since nobody on a budget will buy both to see which sounds better, we will never know. Choosing between those two comes down to what one prefers, or what fits better in their chain.

That is, until someone acquires both a proceed with a thorough comparison.

Mar 2, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #461 of 680
Unless you are a die-hard audiophile, there's a point where functionality is more important than sound quality.

If that is the case, why don't you just get the Audinst HUD since it suits your functional needs better?

There is no point considering the D7 in your case unless you're willing to make do with the volume control on your computer.

Mar 2, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #462 of 680

Quote:
Active monitors have one volume control on each speaker. Unless you have a "out to other speaker" on the monitor, then you have to adjust the volume on both speakers. This is just not fun, and in this case, having a pre-amp out on your DAC is a lot more handy. It's also useful when your monitors are out of reach while your DAC sits on your desk. Unless you are a die-hard audiophile, there's a point where functionality is more important than sound quality. Especially when the influence said feature has on sound is arguable.

That said, the Audinst HUD is the same price as the D7 and has almost the same features. Main difference being that the Audinst has variable RCA out while the D7 has fixed out. And since nobody on a budget will buy both to see which sounds better, we will never know. Choosing between those two comes down to what one prefers, or what fits better in their chain.

does this mean mx-1 also async usb audio class 2?

also that the good thing on having a various product, even if from different vendor. if you need variable line out go for mx-1 or if need line level go for D7.
unless of course Ibasso decide to make a variable output version of D7. but by then I bet someone would complain on how Ibasso have too many product variation
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 2, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #463 of 680
The one additional thing I can think of that is not quite similar between the two (beyond async USB and bit for bit 24/192 with the D7) would be overall size. The D7 seems to be more "portable" to me (for example, sitting at the airport or on a plane with a laptop) than the Audinst. Not that you can't take the Audinst with you (not oversized based on dimension), it's just doesn't look/seem quite as convenient to put in a backpack front pocket, set it next to you, etc.  I really appreciate the diminutive size of the D7, personally.

Some powered speakers have one volume control for both (Audioengine A5 and M-Audio AV 40 based upon pics, for example), not that it negates the need to adjust the volume at the speaker or laptop when not having variable RCA line out. You may be specifically identifiying active studio monitors vs. powered speakers though.

It's good to point out that the D7 doesn't have variable out for those that don't know. It does make a difference to some.

All that being said, I am quite content with this device.

D7 -> PK1 -> 
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Mar 2, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #464 of 680

With regards to the pairing with the P4 amp and IE80, yes.  Better component matching for improved results.
Are you saying you prefer the D7 to the Bifrost? It seems like you're saying "I am hearing more low end resolution, texture and control...on the D7 compared to the Bifrost". I just want to make sure I'm understanding your statement correctly :)

Mar 2, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #465 of 680

Quote:
what you looking for is a preamp with variable output, which the D7 is not. its a DAC with an extra amp that some like.

No, I am not looking for a preamp with variable output.  I am looking for a DAC with variable output, like a handful that exist out there.  Two examples:  Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus, ESI Dr. Dac Prime.  But you may be right in that it may not make a lot of sense in an USB-in only device whose volume can be controlled digitally at the source.

If so, however, the same criticisms of variable line-out voiced here could be leveled against variable headphone-out.  That is,  if you are so convinced that analog variable level can so degrade signal quality and that it is a perilous (to signal quality) redundancy to have more than one volume control, particularly at this price point, why don't you control your headphone level digitally at the source and fault the D7 for corrupting your signal by providing for analog headphone volume?  What's good for the line-out goose is good for the headphone-out gander, right?

One example of an USB DAC/headphone amp that has dispensed with variable headphone-out in an effort to avoid signal degradation--an approach praised by Headfonia--is the ESI Dr. Dac Nano ($99).  Another is the CEntrance Dacport LX ($299).  If we are to believe the claims and criticism advanced here, that analog variable output controls degrade the signal at this price point, variable headphone out would only make sense on an USB DAC if the DAC were limited to 16-bit depth (digital volume control is much less deleterious to signal quality at 24-bit depth).  Which the D7 is not.

In summary, I am hoping that someone here can tell me why, at this price point, variable line-out risks significant signal degradation while variable headphone-out does not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back