D7 Sidewinder....Initial impressions
Feb 14, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #301 of 680
I'm pretty disappointed.  Got mine today.  The build quality is not very good.  If you gently shake it you can hear it rattling.  Pretty sure there shouldn't be any moving parts in there.  The tolerances between the various parts are also not very good.  The logo looks like it was screened on by someone with the shaky hand but I think maybe it's supposed to look like that for some reason.  To top it off Windows 7 hasn't been able to connect to it stating "This device cannot start. (Code 010)"

Based on the build of it I don't think I would have purchased it had I known.  My E7 seems like a much better built product.  I can't comment on the sound since I can't listen to it.  If anyone has any ideas please let me know.  I really don't want to have to ship it back to China.

I'm really bummed.  I was really looking forward to this.  

Feb 14, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #302 of 680
Just received my D7 today.  Amazing shipping speed - I ordered it Saturday evening and it arrived here in New Jersey today!  Wish every mailorder purchase even here in the USA was so fast.

I am a newbie with headphone listening in general (but have been an audiophile for 20+ years now).  I am currently using a pair of UE TF10's until I decide what high-end IEM's I want to purchase. In addition to the D7 I have been listening to the Headstreamer for a couple weeks.

Not fair to compare with zero break-in on the D7 but there is definately more weight and dynamic punch with the D7.  However, the Headstreamer is totally dead quiet with no music playing while the D7 clearly has a bit of hiss/noise (that also changes over time - like it's picking up RF of something).  Has anyone else experienced this with their D7?

Feb 14, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #304 of 680
I'm pretty disappointed.  Got mine today.  The build quality is not very good.  If you gently shake it you can hear it rattling.  Pretty sure there shouldn't be any moving parts in there.  The tolerances between the various parts are also not very good.  The logo looks like it was screened on by someone with the shaky hand but I think maybe it's supposed to look like that for some reason.  To top it off Windows 7 hasn't been able to connect to it stating "This device cannot start. (Code 010)"

Based on the build of it I don't think I would have purchased it had I known.  My E7 seems like a much better built product.  I can't comment on the sound since I can't listen to it.  If anyone has any ideas please let me know.  I really don't want to have to ship it back to China.

I think Murphy's law could be applicable. Lol.

Feb 14, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #306 of 680
I'm using Windows 7 as well, and have been thinking about a D7, but I'm hearing more than a few reports of issues and it has me a bid concerned.

How did you get the D7 working?  Are you using Windows 7 x32 or x64? 

Feb 14, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #307 of 680
I'm using x64.  I just uninstalled an re-installed the drivers and it seemed to do the trick.  Seems to be fine now but it certainly was a hassle for about 20 minutes.  Probably me overreacting but it seems like these days everything should be plug-n-play.  Not sure if an async USB affects the ability to do that.  The sound does seem to be pretty stellar thus far but I've only been listening to it for a very short amount of time.  

Feb 15, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #308 of 680

Quote:

Wow, that's basically the opposite from mine. I am sorry to hear about the quality. I am glad you got it working, though (as mentioned in your later post.) Hopefully, you can swap it out after getting a chance to hear it for a bit. I know it's frustrating but may be worth it in the long run.

Quote:
Just received my D7 today.  Amazing shipping speed - I ordered it Saturday evening and it arrived here in New Jersey today!  Wish every mailorder purchase even here in the USA was so fast.

I am a newbie with headphone listening in general (but have been an audiophile for 20+ years now).  I am currently using a pair of UE TF10's until I decide what high-end IEM's I want to purchase. In addition to the D7 I have been listening to the Headstreamer for a couple weeks.

Not fair to compare with zero break-in on the D7 but there is definately more weight and dynamic punch with the D7.  However, the Headstreamer is totally dead quiet with no music playing while the D7 clearly has a bit of hiss/noise (that also changes over time - like it's picking up RF of something).  Has anyone else experienced this with their D7?

Mine is quiet, so far. I would try a diferent outlet/room or computer if possible to see if it remains. A step further might be to try a USB hub to see what happens. It seems that it could become more hassle than it's worth, though, as opposed to sending it back for replacement. I am sure there are others with more technical knowledge to provide better advice - that's just what I would initially think of.

Sorry to hear about both of your situations. Hopefully the QC is generally good for most and iBasso stays vigilant.

Feb 15, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #309 of 680

Quote:
I'm using Windows 7 as well, and have been thinking about a D7, but I'm hearing more than a few reports of issues and it has me a bid concerned.

How did you get the D7 working?  Are you using Windows 7 x32 or x64? 

few report of issues? iirc this is the 1st one I see and most likely a user error problem.

Quote:
I'm using x64.  I just uninstalled an re-installed the drivers and it seemed to do the trick.  Seems to be fine now but it certainly was a hassle for about 20 minutes.  Probably me overreacting but it seems like these days everything should be plug-n-play.  Not sure if an async USB affects the ability to do that.  The sound does seem to be pretty stellar thus far but I've only been listening to it for a very short amount of time.  

you can blame win7 for not PnP because it doesnt support usb audio class 2, which basically what d7 is.

Feb 15, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #310 of 680
It's been a little buggy since I got it working.  Sometimes the sound just cuts out and if I turn it off and turn it back on it works again.  Been listening to it solid for the last 3 hours and it's cut out about 4 times.  I can say it sounds awesome and I hope the bugginess is behind me. 

Feb 15, 2012 at 3:53 AM Post #313 of 680
Quote:

For Mac OSX and Linux, USB Audio Class 2 is plug and play, but with Windows no.

Feb 15, 2012 at 4:00 AM Post #314 of 680
Quote:

Yes I confirm that, if I place it too close to the tubes of my LD MKIII I have a little noise. But if I move it a few inches to the rear is completely quiet. The important for me is that the hiss dont come through the USB !

Feb 15, 2012 at 4:13 AM Post #315 of 680

Quote:
I'm powering a pair of Q701's with mine and they sound great.  No harshness, sweet mids and plenty of bass.  They don't sound underpowered to me.

Awesome - That seals the deal, I'm getting one. Anybody need a HeadStreamer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back