D7 Sidewinder....Initial impressions
Jan 31, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #181 of 680

Quote:
Thsere is a reason to go with a 8740 instead of es9018. The reason is that es9018 is very hard to implement to make it sound good. But good implementation will cost much more.

To the many people out there, they immediately struck off the D7 as just another-portable-dac-out-there once they heard that the plan for sabre chip has been shelved aside. This is what I mean that iBasso literally killed the product (by killing the market interest). 

Everyone thought that iBasso could make a great sounding sabre chip based portable dac/amp at a great value. iBasso initially quoted ~USD200-300 which IMO is pretty decent. That price tag will in no way suggest poor implementation of a sabre dac.

iBasso is a great little company of wonders. Given the specs of the D7, no one would have expected it to cost so little, don't we? Yet, its performance was not being compromised in anyway. 

It could be that the WM8740 chip inside gives it a very easy and pleasant to listen to sound. But it would be cool to just have another of its siblings when we want to hear something different =)

Jan 31, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #182 of 680

Quote:
IMO, the edge would go to the D7 due to the better performing DAC. I also look forward to John's opinion.

Thanks Ron, I'm anxiously awaiting my delivery... You were on the money with the D4 and I value both of your opinions..

Feb 1, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #183 of 680
Hi guys,
I was pulling between DACport LX, HRT MS2+ and now this one came along. :) Which is makes choosing even harder. Is anyone had a chance compare this three?
confused.gif

Feb 1, 2012 at 7:06 AM Post #184 of 680
Since the D7 is so new I doubt that anyone has tried all 3. 

I like the form factor of the DACport LX best
I think the D7, which I own is the most versatile, and I think it sounds better than the original µDAC, which was better USB dac in the Hifi-man EF2. The soundstage is really good, and detail is nice too, and it's not a coloured as the µDAC v.1. 

But which one sounds best?

Quote:
Hi guys,
I was pulling between DACport LX, HRT MS2+ and now this one came along. :) Which is makes choosing even harder. Is anyone had a chance compare this three?
confused.gif

Feb 2, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #185 of 680
@uelover, there has never been a better time for those looking for 'something different' in the sub-$200 market : spend wisely and you could be listening to a different DAC/amp combination every night of the week ....

Feb 2, 2012 at 3:13 AM Post #186 of 680

I have ordered a Little Dot MKIII for the D7, can't beleive what you can find today for 200$, I'm buying a new audio device every month !

Quote:
@uelover, there has never been a better time for those looking for 'something different' in the sub-$200 market : spend wisely and you could be listening to a different DAC/amp combination every night of the week ....

Feb 2, 2012 at 4:10 AM Post #187 of 680
I've had a few iBasso products and I know they are great stuff for the price. Now I'm looking into getting a dac with rca out to feed a vintage marantz amp and whatever future amps I may get. I've been looking at the MF V-Dac, good price and also the option of separate V-PSU. For all of you D7 owners, is it a good idea to get the D7 and would it be good enough to feed bigger amps like vintage marantz ones?

Edit: Or - is it unnessecary to get another portable dac just for the RCA out when I have the DB2's unbalanced out? I've heard some negative stuff about the DB2's SE out, and only praise regarding the RCA output of the D7. Of course, the D7 is the latest thingie and this is head-fi :)

Feb 2, 2012 at 6:13 AM Post #189 of 680

Quote:
I think so, my D7 RCA out is feeding my amplified monitors Truth B2031A without problem and sound is perfect, full of details and plaisant.

Migou67 how do you control the volume of monitors? Do you use some kind of passive preamp?

Feb 2, 2012 at 7:09 AM Post #190 of 680
No i use the alsamixer under linux to set the output of the DAC and I control the volume with the player Amarok using the well mouse. Also in the monitors you have a potentiometer (input trim +/- 6db, I have set it at -6db. This result in a fine control and progressif volume.

Feb 2, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #191 of 680
I have finally get today a quality cable to feed the monitors, through the Maverick A1 pre amp tube and now I can also control the volume with the A1.

For me the sound is better than the RCA of the D7, but its me, I like tubes and the A1 is doing a nice job with the D7 on this monitors.

Quote:

Migou67 how do you control the volume of monitors? Do you use some kind of passive preamp?

Feb 3, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #194 of 680

Quote:
Have you guys noticed this amp is highly susceptible to RF interference. I noticed this when I set my phone next to it.

Which phone do you own?  I just sat my iPhone 4s on top of it, and I didn't detect anything...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back