D5000's are on their way ... now I need a DAC/AMP ... best recommendations?
Feb 12, 2011 at 8:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

broc3

New Head-Fier
Thanks for providing such a great community! I'm just starting to dive into head-fi (this is my first post), and I am overwhelmed with all of the knowledge and help provided in these forums ... now onto my question :)

I have a pair of previously loved D5000 on their way. Now the question is - "Which dac/amp to get/build?"

As far as sources go, I have a Macbook Pro, which will be my primary source (so I need either a USB or optical input ... optical preferred to decouple the laptop's electrical noise from the amp).

The only other source that I might use is my DAP, but amping this and having a portable unit is a "like-to-have" not a "must-have".

I am a grad student & I need to keep my wife happy with me so keeping the total cost at or below $170 is ideal.

Based off of what I've read so far, the best matches that I've found are Aune, uDAC, and possibly preowned FiiO E7/E9.

Additionally, I am willing to mod/diy if the improved quality is sufficient (I already have the technical skills and equipment). Possibly a Starving Student plus some DAC to be determined? (edit: disregard the starving student option ... even though the name appeals to me and my current situation ... I have read enough posts voicing displeasure with pairing Denons with tube amps to make me wary of this option ... I've added further DIY options in the follow-up post)

As far as music is concerned, I enjoy everything (I listen to blues, techno, rock, jazz, and string based classical music more than the others ... roughly in the order listed).

Thanks! ... Of course, let me know if there is some other info that I can provide.

p.s. - I plan on markl modding the D5000's based off of the reviews here, but I will certainly listen to them first to make up my own mind :)

Feb 13, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #2 of 11
The DIY options competing with the commercial options listed above are based off of my reading so far are:

1) a GrubDAC (~$45) paired with a Pimeta (minimal $75 / better components $150)
2) a GrubDAC (~$45) paired with a Carrie (~$85)
3) One other suggestion that I have seen is to use a gamma2 DAC ($135 without case or $180 depending on the source ... I have access to a machine shop)

Unfortunately a GrubDAC (~$45) paired with a PPA v2 (minimal $150) or probably more realistically $200) is just out of my price bracket (but I thought that I would include it here to tempt others)

My first question is how these stack up against the Aune, uDAC and Fiio E7/E9.
My second question is if the diy option comes out on top, which fits my needs best?

Thanks again!

Note: the links above go to other head-fi posts related to this topic ... hopefully, this helps somebody else going down this path :)

Feb 13, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #3 of 11
I am using a new E7 with new D5000s and so far have been very impressed with the sound quality just out of a HP notebook. All genres sounded pretty good but Patricia Barber and Michael Buble sounded incredible. The cans are just OOTB too. Burning both units in tonight.

Feb 13, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #4 of 11
I'm going with the schiit asgard amp (already using it) and the audio-GD nfb-12(can't hardly wait for it to arrive) currently using the E-Mu 0204. Opinions vary but, I think what I went with is a better combination than the Fiio e7/e9 combo.

Feb 14, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #5 of 11
Darkninja67 - Thanks for the info since your setup is nearly identical to one that I'm considering! With the low price on the E7 over at dealextreme (~$82) this is probably my top commercial contender given your feedback.

powerlifter450 - I agree that the asgard looks like quite a good amp, but it is a tab out of my price range. If you have any thoughts/experience with where the differences lie, I am always happy to learn.

As I've looked at the DIY options a bit more closely, the gamma2 looks like the best option since it seems like a very capable DAC that has the current capabilities to drive my low impedance D5000's. It also will leave the door open to adding a capable amp further down the road if I catch the upgraditis bug that seems to be floating around here.

Thoughts?

Feb 14, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #6 of 11
Any final thoughts on the gamma2 DIY DAC versus the FiiO E7?

I feel like I am trading  off between a higher quality source but likely lower power (I have not verified the power output) for the gamma2 and
a lower quality source but with better power & portability with the E7.

I realize that these are broad generalizations based off on being a DAC and the other being an DAC/AMP, but until I locate the related specs, that is the best that I can do (I will update this post if I find the specs).

Of course, I am still open to hearing about other options fitting the criteria above that I have overlooked.
Thanks to everybody for their help so far!

-Broc

Feb 14, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #7 of 11
I've been looking all over for any comparisons between the fiio e7/e9 and the asgard or other similar amps and dacs. I can't seem to locate anything. There are a couple posts on head-fi right now about broken fiio gear. Good luck and let us know what you went with and how it sounds. My denon d500 arrive tomorrow and I can't wait to compare them to the Ultrasone Pro 900s!

Feb 14, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #8 of 11
For those who have used the D5000 with the E7, what is the max volume that you use?
See below for why I am asking.

My best guess on the gamma2 output is 0.049W per channel. 
This is from the VRMS at the gamma2 spec site and the maximum continuous current from the AD8565 output buffer datasheet.

While using the numbers for the FiiO E7 yield 0.096W per channel when adjusted for the impedance of  the D5000s.

As anticipated the SNR of the gamma2 is superior (139 dB) compared to the E7 (100dB), and the gamma2 doubles the sample rate (up to 96kHz) and increases the word length allowable from 16 bit to 24 bit when the spdif interface is used instead of the usb.

I guess that leaves the final question. For those who have used the D5000 with the E7, what is the max volume that you use?

If  you don't exceed 50% then the gamma2 power level is sufficient and all of the other specs & reviews outperform the E7 ... of course, if 0.049W/channel isn't enough, then the gamma won't quite cut it on its own

Powerlifter450: I've stumbled across a few informal comparisons of the E7's with  other amps & dacs but nothing that thorough. The E7 build issues that seem to have popped up just recently have me pretty concerned too. Let me know what you think of your new arrival!  As far as updating with the results of this thread, it may take some time if I go down the DIY path. I can build quickly, but I have competing demands on my time since I am wrapping up my PhD thesis :) ... that said,  I do like to procrastinate :)

edit: Powerlifter450: your wish has been partially granted. There is a great thread A/B testing different amps. The E9 is the most recent addition.

Mar 6, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #9 of 11
A small follow-up: I've build an AMB gamma2 DAC for my work desktop setup.

Since I am in a shared office, I tend to listen at pretty low levels ... somewhere around 10% on the Windows 7 mixer (this is on a Macbook Pro). My primary complaint with the Macbook's headphone jack was the coupling of electrical noise (typically from either fans or the cd spinning up). To avoid this, I opted to fully electrically decouple the DAC and the laptop by using the optical out (TOSLink) and to power the DAC via a wall wart. This had one added benefit. The gamma2 supports 16bit up to 48kHz via USB and it supports 24bit up to 192 kHz (the windows driver caps out at 96 kHz).

Given that I listen at low levels most of the time and that the attenuation is happening in the digital domain, there is an added benefit of not having balance problems that are common with low to mid level amps when they are at low gain settings, but nothing is free. The cost here is that if you are listening at 1/8 the max volume then you have effectively limited your system to 21 bit sound if you started with 24 bit sound (which I would argue is acceptable) or 13 bit sound if you started with 16 bit sound (I have not actually tried to compare these two conditions to see if I can tell the difference or not, and given the electrical noise of my laptop, I'm not sure that it is even a fair test ... I will leave it to you to decide whether 13 bits is acceptable.)

As far as max volume that is capable, I have turned it up on a couple of late nights. The maximum volume of the DAC is more than I can comfortably take for nearly every genre. The only time that I have been able to have the gain at unity for more than 10 seconds was last night during a violin feature (music listened to so far - blues, jazz, techno, electronic, 70's rock, piano concerti, ensemble, 80's & 90's rock, R&B/Soul)

Also, for anybody trying to make a decision similar to what I was, I would suggest that you check out the following article (Headphone Amps/DACs Explained) ... it would have helped me early in the decision making process.

Happy Listening!
-Broc

Mar 6, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #10 of 11
So, how DO the pro 900s compare to the D5000s?????

Quote:
I've been looking all over for any comparisons between the fiio e7/e9 and the asgard or other similar amps and dacs. I can't seem to locate anything. There are a couple posts on head-fi right now about broken fiio gear. Good luck and let us know what you went with and how it sounds. My denon d500 arrive tomorrow and I can't wait to compare them to the Ultrasone Pro 900s!

Mar 9, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #11 of 11
While waiting on my E9 to return I have been using my E7 (No bass boost or EQ) with my D2K's and they sound very good together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back