D2000 vs HD650 | Comparison & Review
Feb 11, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #241 of 287
Did you fully burn your AHD2000's in before making your final judgment. I notice some people are making assumptions before fully burning their cans in.

Feb 11, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #242 of 287

Quote:
I sold my D2000 shortly after I bought it. I really can't stand that "U" response that it has. Perhaps if I had it converted to an LA2000 I might've liked it more, but I think out of the box the D2000 is quite flawed, unless you like that sort of big bloated bass, hyped up treble, no mids sound. I preferred the DT880's more even response, but sold those due to their moderate comfort level and el-sucko build quality. It's embarrassing how cheap the DT880 headband design is, the Denon certainly walks all over the Beyer on that front. I will be buying the HD-650 soon, as I suspect that will match my tastes much better.

DaveBSC did you fully burn in the D2000's before making your final judgement? From what I hear they require anywhere from 200 to 300 plus hours to fully burn in. I've got about 40 hours on my D5000's and they are gradually improving. I love them so far. The bass is tightening up the mids are coming out.

Feb 11, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #243 of 287

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
That's quite unfortunate, since the midrange is where most of the magic of music lies. :)

Heh. I find the magic in the bass, and also the treble.
tongue.gif

Agreed. I rather feel the music, instead of listening to it. As long as the mids aren't non-existent, I seriously don't see why people are so far up the mid-range's ass. It's not like a decent pair of bass and treble emphasized headphone is gonna have inaudible mids. Case in point: DT990s. The mids are as detailed if not moreso than the 880s. but people want the mids to be LOUDER. That doesn't mean the mids are lacking. Jesus.

People like what they like. A good headphone will portray all ranges. Whatever is emphasized is just that, emphasized. That's why there are so many flavors of headphones out there. Not one is better than the other. There's a headphone out there for all types. Bassheads, mid-whores, trebleheads, neutralheads. There is no right way to listen to your music.

I hate the elitist mid-range, or neutral sound BULLSH*T on this forum. It's so damn stupid. One example for me, the ESW9. Very popular here. It has bass and mids. I absolutely HATED it's sound. Then there was the K701. Mids and treble. HATED it for music. Koss UR40, BAAAASS.... HATED it. But that doesn't mean they aren't good. We just have our own preferences.

I just happen to be a mild bass/decent mid/sparkly treblehead. I know there's a lot of people who don't like that here. Doesn't make their tastes better than mine or vice-versa.

Completely agree with you on that ideltime. Some people simply just try to force their opinions on you like its fact and that is not the point of the forums at all. It it to share our points of views while at the same time helping each other out regarding audio equipment in general. Everyone has their own preferences and that is why there are many choices of headphones out there :wink:.

Feb 11, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #244 of 287

Quote:
I agree with a lot of your intent and even what you're saying overall.  I think those are fine goals to strive for, but there are inherent limitations built in.  For example, if you gave Brian Eno a set of Beatles tapes to master, he would set different EQ levels for instruments if he mastered the record when he was age 20 vs. age 40 vs. age 60.  The same person would master things differently depending where he was in life.

Over the past 20 years or so, I think there has been a compete and absolute shift toward more bass, regardless of genre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pp312 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm talking about the need to establish absolute standards in hi-fidelity so that we can at least maintain the definition: high faithfullness to the original sound. 

Bass is definitely more prominent these days than in the past but bass has always been an important part of the music. It kinda gives the music its soul if you know what I mean. Without bass music is very plain Jane and boring to listen to IMO. I don't like the bass to be overpowering but very prominent and defined. Bass in certain ways drives the music.

Feb 12, 2011 at 5:13 AM Post #245 of 287
Getting back to d2000 and 650 comparisons, and the fact that they are very different. It depends what music you are listening too, I'm always going to keep my 650's for when I want a more natural sounding headphone with certain types of music. I'm finding that the D2000's are working really well with orchestral music, big complex pieces where a big sound-stage and bottom end give you that "live" feel and excitement. But they don't work as well with more intimate music like solo piano, chamber and acoustic jazz. This where the 650's are amazing.

Opera sounds better with the D2000's but Schubert songs for piano accompaniment sound better with the 650's.

In regards to Rock music, a song like Kashmir sounds amazing with the denons, but as a whole the 650's sound better with guitar based music probably because of the mids.

I don't listen to dance music so cant judge. Can anyone add opinions in regards to this?  I have a feeling that the denons high end may be a bit too much for synthesized electronic music, but the bass should be amazing. Most pop and dance music now is already mixed with a big bass sound and to emphasize it more may be irritating so would the 650's be the better hp for pop?     

Feb 12, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #246 of 287

Quote:
Getting back to d2000 and 650 comparisons, and the fact that they are very different. It depends what music you are listening too, I'm always going to keep my 650's for when I want a more natural sounding headphone with certain types of music. I'm finding that the D2000's are working really well with orchestral music, big complex pieces where a big sound-stage and bottom end give you that "live" feel and excitement. But they don't work as well with more intimate music like solo piano, chamber and acoustic jazz. This where the 650's are amazing.

Opera sounds better with the D2000's but Schubert songs for piano accompaniment sound better with the 650's.

In regards to Rock music, a song like Kashmir sounds amazing with the denons, but as a whole the 650's sound better with guitar based music probably because of the mids.

I don't listen to dance music so cant judge. Can anyone add opinions in regards to this?  I have a feeling that the denons high end may be a bit too much for synthesized electronic music, but the bass should be amazing. Most pop and dance music now is already mixed with a big bass sound and to emphasize it more may be irritating so would the 650's be the better hp for pop?     

I just got done listening to HD650 and D2000 side by side.  I agree with everything you said.  

I did test many electronic songs with both.  Like you, I also think that both the d2000 and the hd650 are GREAT, but as far as which one to listen to when I had the choice?.. depended on the music.

D2000 did great with electronic.  The bass was great and it was still in your face enough to just blow your mind.  I listened to Feed Me, Deadmau5, Rusko, Afrojack and a few others.  

Rap and hip hop sounded good w/ both the 650 and the D2000.  Both had the bass, but I could actually FEEL the d2000 bass.  I could feel it wiggle my ears.  650 has a lot of bass, but it doesnt give you the wiggle.  I think its because they are open as opposed to the closed d2000. 

Laid back music with the 650's is brilliant.  They are just so chill but at the same time involving.  I loved all the jazz and classical I put through them.  

Basically I would have to keep both pairs.  The 650s have the soundstage and midrange to die for.  The d2000 have the beautiful highs that arent as fatiguing as my K701.  People may not like this description but the D2000 is like a nice mix between the HD650 and the K701 (for me).  I wish the D2000 were open so they could compete with the soundstage of K701/650, I wish the k701 was less fatiguing and had more bass, and I wish the 650 was a tiny bit more lively.  

If I had HAD HAD to choose one, it would be based on my amp.  If I had tubes, I'd keep the 650, otherwise, I'd keep the D2000.

Feb 12, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #247 of 287

Quote:
Quote:

I just got done listening to HD650 and D2000 side by side.  I agree with everything you said.  

I did test many electronic songs with both.  Like you, I also think that both the d2000 and the hd650 are GREAT, but as far as which one to listen to when I had the choice?.. depended on the music.

D2000 did great with electronic.  The bass was great and it was still in your face enough to just blow your mind.  I listened to Feed Me, Deadmau5, Rusko, Afrojack and a few others.  

Rap and hip hop sounded good w/ both the 650 and the D2000.  Both had the bass, but I could actually FEEL the d2000 bass.  I could feel it wiggle my ears.  650 has a lot of bass, but it doesnt give you the wiggle.  I think its because they are open as opposed to the closed d2000. 

Laid back music with the 650's is brilliant.  They are just so chill but at the same time involving.  I loved all the jazz and classical I put through them.  

Basically I would have to keep both pairs.  The 650s have the soundstage and midrange to die for.  The d2000 have the beautiful highs that arent as fatiguing as my K701.  People may not like this description but the D2000 is like a nice mix between the HD650 and the K701 (for me).  I wish the D2000 were open so they could compete with the soundstage of K701/650, I wish the k701 was less fatiguing and had more bass, and I wish the 650 was a tiny bit more lively.  

If I had HAD HAD to choose one, it would be based on my amp.  If I had tubes, I'd keep the 650, otherwise, I'd keep the D2000.

Hi , thanks for your opinion, and i do know what you mean about the "wiggle"!
basshead.gif
 and isn't that exactly what we are looking for in a headphone!!? full size speakers always sound better when we can feel a little vibration without distorting.  I think this is my point in regards to my liking the D2000's over the 650's.  That "live" sound.  Accurate is dull... 

Cheers
smile.gif

Feb 13, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #248 of 287
I agree, its just that some music doesnt need that wiggle.  All the jazz and classical stuff sounds really good out of the 650's too.  :D its a tough choice, but whatever someone chooses, they will be happy in the end with either.

Feb 13, 2011 at 5:16 AM Post #249 of 287
I know I may come off strange. But sometimes the D2000 seems polite with hard rock music. Listening to Nirvana it seems like the energy level drops off a bit. May be its just me.

May 15, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #250 of 287
A nice novel indeed. Thanks for the review

May 24, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #251 of 287
Great review. I did not like the HD650 at all, but the Denon D2000 were my first audiophile headphone ever, and they served me incredibly well for a good while. After getting the D7000 I realized the D2000 has some flaws like recessed midrange and a little messy bass (and after getting the T1s I can never go back to the D7000 or closed phones in general) but for the price they are very good and don't require an amp. A great starting headphone.

May 24, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #252 of 287
good review! only caught this thread now cos im a late bloomer on HD650 ownership only having possession of one the past coupla months. not having owned the denon (though i did get a chance to hear the D5k briefly & wasnt too impressed IIRC) i cant comment on the comparo & superiority of either but i do agree with almost everything u wrote as pertaining to the HD650. it indeed is a mid centric headphone possessing a very smooth, lush & dare i say alluring midrange.

colored but balanced is also another trait i hear & agree with. that said, clarity (or lack of) is a characteristic determined substantially by amplification. i've tried my 650 on quite a few amps & i do hear it change like a chameleon so i do bliv there's quite a bit of potential to be had with these senns. all in all, a very good fair & balanced review. thxs

May 28, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #253 of 287
Very interesting comparison indeed. I stumbled on this thread. I own a pair of D5000, D7000, and recently HD650. I've owned HD600, HD580, and HD650 previously and sold them all. Just got another pair of HD650 this week, and I definitely missed the sound. I don't think it would be fair to call the D2000 "forward" especially compared to other headphones I've owned, but certainly they are more forward than the HD650's offer. The D2000 also have the denon signature high treble, and bloated bass at the bottom end. Certainly interesting to compare these two cans. 

May 30, 2011 at 3:50 AM Post #254 of 287
I'm debating between these two cans as well. I currently only own an E11 amp so I think the d2000 would be a better choice at the moment for me correct? I would love to pick up an e9 but I need something I can use away from home, ad I would not be able to afford a better amp until far down the road. Any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back