D2000 replacments, mostly for gaming
Mar 28, 2010 at 8:42 AM Post #16 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by hoth17 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also have a Xonar D2X sound card. It has a built in headphone amp, although I am not sure of its quality.
Newegg.com - ASUS Xonar D2X 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Express x1 Interface Sound Card - Sound Cards

I really like the Beyerdynamics DT 150 and the K701, both a bit more than I wanted to spend.

I have read both have a really good sound stage, how do they compare? Is the K701 worth the extra $50?

the cheapest DT150 i know is roughly 180USD new. You can get it 100-120USD used here on the forum.

Mar 28, 2010 at 9:02 AM Post #17 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by phandrew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the cheapest DT150 i know is roughly 180USD new. You can get it 100-120USD used here on the forum.

The price seems pretty good, however, I have not seen nearly as many people talking about them as other headphones.

I am not if sure they would good for gaming, but I don't really know.
I really like the K701s but again, I have no idea how good they would be for gaming.

I keep reading people say get the ATH-AD700 but I know there has to be better when you budget is more than $100.

Mar 28, 2010 at 11:42 AM Post #21 of 33
at least try your D2000s with the Jmoney pads.

im not sure how the D2000s didnt do it for you, although i admit, everyone is different in what they like/dislike.

and yes, the DT150s would need some type of amp.

Mar 28, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #22 of 33
Quote:

Also, how would the hd600 compare to the others?

If I got the hd600 I would make a diy desktop amp.

HD600/650 is mediocre for gaming IMO.

Just get the J$ pads for the Denons, you'll be very happy.

Mar 28, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #23 of 33
Okay, I will grab some JMoney Pads before I do anything. No need to buy anything expensive without trying all the options.

How is it that these help so much?

Mar 28, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #24 of 33
They are supposed to help separation and soundstage. I don't think there is a chance their soundstage and imaging could be nearly as good as the AD700's. If you want pinpoint imaging to kill in fps get the AD700's, HD595's, or step up and get the K701.

Mar 28, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

Okay, I will grab some JMoney Pads before I do anything. No need to buy anything expensive without trying all the options.

How is it that these help so much?

They push the driver away from the ear and put it at an angle. This GREATLY improves separation and enlarges soundstage substantially.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GALACTUS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are supposed to help separation and soundstage. I don't think there is a chance their soundstage and imaging could be nearly as good as the AD700's. If you want pinpoint imaging to kill in fps get the AD700's, HD595's, or step up and get the K701.

Read my first post. I have compared the AD700s, K701s and HD650s all to the D5000 with J$ pads, none of them are as good. They are all superior to the D5000s stock, but the J$ pads take them to a different level.

The K701 has an enormous soundstage yes, but it is unrealistic and makes pinpointing the distance of sounds very difficult in games, not to mention the fact it's much wider than it is deep.

The HD650s (and I would assume by association the HD555/595) were honestly kind of depressing for games, I was expecting much more. Soundstage and separation was very underwhelming for the price.

The AD700s were better than K701s IMO, and come in third (tied with AD900s) in my list, following the DT880s and Denons with J$ pads. They have a natural, very large soundstage with good separation and clarity.

However, the DT880s and Denons are better, there's no question. The DT880s are without a doubt the best gaming cans I've ever used, and the Denons with J$ come in a close second. Both are simply superb for pinpointing just where your enemy is.

Mar 28, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However, the DT880s and Denons are better, there's no question. The DT880s are without a doubt the best gaming cans I've ever used, and the Denons with J$ come in a close second. Both are simply superb for pinpointing just where your enemy is.

Okay, I am ready to buy the J$ pads, but before I do, I have one more scenario. I am able to sell my D2000 to a friend and pick the DT880s for the same price as it would be buying the J$ pads. Would that be a better path?

Also, a little random, but should I use my X-Fi Titanium card or my Xonar D2X card?

Mar 29, 2010 at 3:22 AM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

Okay, I am ready to buy the J$ pads, but before I do, I have one more scenario. I am able to sell my D2000 to a friend and pick the DT880s for the same price as it would be buying the J$ pads. Would that be a better path?

Also, a little random, but should I use my X-Fi Titanium card or my Xonar D2X card?

I found the 32 ohm Beyers to be very harsh on the ears in high frequency, it was the 250 ohm version I liked. Without an amp you couldn't drive that.

I'd just go with the D2000s you already have with J$ pads. It's a lot less of a hassle, and the DT880 isn't a HUGE step up.

I think you're overestimating the difference headphones make as far as gaming goes. There are limits to how much difference they are, and it's not a big difference. The improvements are very incremental and take extensive A/B'ing in a lot of cases to tell the difference.

Mar 29, 2010 at 5:38 AM Post #28 of 33
I would very much second getting a pair of J$ pads for your D2000's. They will help immensely with your soundstage and sound placement issues. No question.
biggrin.gif

And looky there! 2000 posts!

Mar 31, 2010 at 3:51 AM Post #29 of 33
I would get the JS pads just to try them out, and then invest is a solid pair of open can headphones for the soundstage, ad700s are good enough I think.

and sorry to hijack this thread, but I have a side/somewhat related question:

Is there anything with somewhat decent isolation and not that much leakage that would be good for gaming? The AD700s seem perfect for me for both general music usage + FPS soundwh0ring but...they are open cans. I guess that's why the soundstage is so good...but...yeah. Anything closed with a good soundstage for gaming? Or open with decent isolation/minimal leakage? <100$

Mar 31, 2010 at 4:18 AM Post #30 of 33
No headphone are superior to the other for gaming. As long as the headphones you pick don't mask the frequencies that matter (ie. footsteps) ANY pair of headphones will do. I've gamed with cheap Sony Earbuds to AD700s and HD595s and guess what? They allowed me to pinpoint direction exactly the same between the three. No one was superior to the other in terms of directional sound. It's a crock of you know what if you think otherwise. Not once have I seen science backing up statements regarding superior headphones for directional sound.

PS: I would consider myself a semi-pro gamer for quite a few years. I've played in high level leagues/tournaments in Quake, CS, CSS, and COD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back