D2000 Markl Mod Sibilance
Oct 25, 2010 at 1:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Zalken

100+ Head-Fier
I recently partially markl modded my d2000's (dynamat on earcups and drivers), however I found the sibilance to be too much for me.  I played around with changing the cable (stock D2k cable and Mogami 2893) and removing parts of the dynamat and reapplying it.  It seems most of the sibilance is caused by the dynamat on the inner driver.
The only problem, with the dynamat only on the earcups, the bass is still a bit overpowering.

Does anyone know if adding dynamat to the outer driver of the D2000 can noticeably tame the bass without causing sibilance?

Oct 25, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #2 of 8
That's interesting. You won't find many that will say doing the markl mod added sibilance. You definitely won't find many that will say dampening the cups added bass. Some will even say dampening the cups take away bass. Your findings are the exact opposite of many who have done the mods. But everyone ears are different. I find them unlistenable stock and quite good modded. Well one thing is for sure doing the mods definitely changes the sound. Whether that change is good or bad is up to the listener.

Oct 25, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
I found my D5000 unlistenable due to sibilance after they were markl modded.  It seemed to get worse over time.  It wasn't a botch job either, as I had sent them to Markl himself to mod them.

I agree, and said something similar, earlier in another thread. My LA2000 Lites (MD5000, with Premium Oak cups) were unlistenable to me because of the accentuation of certain upper frequencies and the 'cupped-hands' or tubey sound. Other than the excessive bass, the stock D5000 had a better all-around sound quality (to my ears). I did not find the LA's to be sibilant, but it did push some painful upper-mid - lower-high frequencies...

shane

Oct 25, 2010 at 2:49 AM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
That's interesting. You won't find many that will say doing the markl mod added sibilance. You definitely won't find many that will say dampening the cups added bass. Some will even say dampening the cups take away bass. Your findings are the exact opposite of many who have done the mods. But everyone ears are different. I find them unlistenable stock and quite good modded. Well one thing is for sure doing the mods definitely changes the sound. Whether that change is good or bad is up to the listener.

Adding dynamat to the cups don't add bass - I believe they take away bass.
At the very least, they stop the headphone from rattling my skull when they are on my head.
However, I would just like more bass control and I'm wondering if adding dynamat to the outer driver will help this.

If no one has gone through the trouble of testing this all out (I bet MarkL has though) - I'll try it out and post my results here.

Oct 25, 2010 at 12:11 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
At the very least, they stop the headphone from rattling my skull when they are on my head.
However, I would just like more bass control and I'm wondering if adding dynamat to the outer driver will help this.

If no one has gone through the trouble of testing this all out (I bet MarkL has though) - I'll try it out and post my results here.

I hope this works. Let us know. 

Oct 27, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #7 of 8
my d2ks were recabled but ttbomk no further mods were done. they don't have the bass issues that others complain of with this can (fwiw i've not heard the stockers).

Aug 19, 2011 at 7:04 AM Post #8 of 8

Quote:

How did you go with the results?? Was just rear driver dynamat best?? Would love to know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back