D2000 Equalization Thread?
Nov 12, 2010 at 4:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Zalken

100+ Head-Fier
I think the drivers of the D2000s have the potential to be extremely good with proper EQ, so I gave EQing a shot.

Here is my EQ setting for my Denon D2000s

I tried to match the frequency response of the Stax Omega 2 and the Audeze LCD-2 (They both have a very similar frequency responses).

I am currently REALLY enjoying this setting - it makes my D2000s sound just so much more natural, but I can't help but wonder if anyone else has had great success with EQing their D2000s (or D7000s - the two headphones seem to have a similar frequency response).  If you have, could you please post your results? :)

Also, if you happen to try my EQ setting, could you please comment on it?

Some information about my headphones and the graph:
My D2000 has dynamat on the earcups only (none on driver) and has a Mogami 2893 cable.
The program is AIXcoustic Electri-Q v1.84
All the peaks above 1000 Hz are calculated using the Orfanidis method - I find it to be more accurate for higher frequencies.

Frequency (Hz) Gain (dB) BW
20 3 0.4
36.5 -1 5.5
1000 1.75 0.4
1450 -2.9 0.4
2200 3.7 0.7
3500 -5.0 0.35
5980 -7.5 0.45
8000 6 0.50

Nov 16, 2010 at 3:25 AM Post #2 of 9
Thanks for the chart! I have a question for you or anybody who is willing to help. I'm relatively new to this "hi-end" audio market (I refuse to say audiophile. Makes me feel like some sort of hipster) and the Denon D2000's are arriving next week. With that said, I'm also looking for a CD player, or a quality source. Thing is, the Marantz CD5004 doesn't have an equalizer. Does have a current buffer headphone amp, though. Do I know exactly what that will do to my Denon's? No. Some suggestions would really be appreciated. I'm not really looking to spend more than 400 dollars and I don't know how I feel about an amp either. I will use my PC quite a bit as my source as well. Here are the specs to the Marantz if you're not familiar with it. http://www.amazon.com/Marantz-CD5004-CD-Player-Black/dp/B003R7KMTW/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_3

Thank you ladies and gentlemen.

Nov 16, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #3 of 9
If you are mainly using headphones or have a speaker system that is no bigger than 2 speakers and 1 subwoofer and don't mind using your computer as a source, I would recommend you don't buy a CD player and buy a DAC/headphone amp.  An amazing one at the price range that has both is the Audio-GD FUN.

Nov 16, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #4 of 9
I actually don't have a speaker system, so yes, the D2000's are what I'll mainly use. So, plug it in straight to my computer and that's it, great sound? I'm not really looking to make extra modifications or whatnot.

Nov 16, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #5 of 9
It seems like almost everybody here buys an amp or DAC and then 6 other products...and all in the same price range. I'm not really looking for that. My income isn't that great and I have other hobbies to support :)
So, I'm kind of just looking for a buy one (maybe two) and done. Can anybody relate to this? 
confused.gif

Nov 17, 2010 at 2:38 AM Post #6 of 9
Yes, you can just connect your audio GD fun to your computer via USB, select the FUN as your output on your operating system and plug in your headphones and go

I'm not sure what you mean by the 6 other products (more headphones?)

I guess, ideally you'll want
Dedicated power source
USB to CoAX convertor
DAC
Amp
Headphones
and extremely good interconnects

But the Audio GD Fun acts as a DAC and an amp, and you have decent headphones.  The dedicated power source and USB to Coax covertor are both extremely optional.

May 3, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #7 of 9
Sorry for resurrecting a dead thread, but I just want to say that the EQ given here really improved my D2000s. I can vouch for what Zalken said; without the EQ, the cans just sound more, plastic-y, for lack of a better word. My D2000s really do sound more natural, organic, real. Seeing as there is a free version of this program, I really don't see the downside of at least trying this out. 

May 3, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #8 of 9
Hey there,

I have a 31 band, third octave equalizer. I can do anything I want with any phones or recording, old or new.

Some say that's "cheating" and not reproducing the sound as the recording engineer meant it to be. I have heard recordings in the studio and the only way te get that sound would using the same amp and phones used in the studio.

The job of the phones is to convert the signal from the amp into sound, so if you you EQ it, so much the better???  Isn't the idea to have sound that you like the way you want it????

May 4, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #9 of 9
Interesting equalization, that's for sure.

I know this is a long shot, but has anyone tried this equalization with the Dolby equalization (the one found in this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/555263/foobar2000-dolby-headphone-config-comment-discuss )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back