D marc0's Journal: My Head-fi Journey
Jul 12, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #467 of 562
I have the Kef M200, loving it. But it's sometimes really too relaxed. Does the altone offer a more toe-tapping sound? Or what can you recommend me till 250USD.

I can't think of anything else at that price. The Altone 200 has great PRAT that is quite addictive.

Jul 12, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #468 of 562
  I have the Kef M200, loving it. But it's sometimes really too relaxed. Does the altone offer a more toe-tapping sound? Or what can you recommend me till 250USD.

i am a big fan of the m200 as well, but beside the bass they are indeed unexciting... i let them go
I can't think of anything else at that price. The Altone 200 has great PRAT that is quite addictive.

whats this PRAT you speak of?

Jul 13, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #469 of 562
i am a big fan of the m200 as well, but beside the bass they are indeed unexciting... i let them go
whats this PRAT you speak of?

It stands for "Pace, Rhythm and Timing". Factors that engages you with the music hence the toe-tapping reaction.

Jul 13, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #470 of 562

I quite enjoy the clarity rushes I get with Altone, when a song for example busts into the chorus and you're listening quite loud the mid-range clarity just melts in each ear. Makes you start dancin.

Jul 14, 2014 at 2:18 AM Post #471 of 562
TOPPING NX1 Portable Headphone Amplifier Impressions

The NX1 is a basic portable amplifier from Topping that's getting quite the attention. This mighty little amp is quite small making it ideal for portable use. It's the perfect size to match the Colorfly C3 with great build quality that can take a beating. The aluminium casing is not only sturdy, the surfaces are decently finished as well. Despite the affordable retail price (under $50), its build quality says otherwise. Here's a few more facts about this amplifier:

Specifications:
- Output Power:
100mW (RL=32Ω, THD+N=1%)​
- THD + N < 0.001% 32Ω 50mW
- Frequency Response:
20-20kHz±0.2dB​
- Suitable Headphone Impedance: 16-300Ω
- Noise < 10μV
- Battery Capacity: 1000mAh
- Working Time:
Approx 100 hours​
- Dimensions:
Approx 9CM x 5.8CM x 1.35CM​
- Weight:
Approx 93g (unit only)​
- Gain(@1kHz): +6dB (GAIN=L); +15dB (GAIN=H)​

F​
or more info: http://www.tpdz.net/en/products/nx1.htm

SOUND: To be honest, I was quite sceptical on the NX1's sound performance. Budget amplifiers usually skip on the good internals to make-up for the affordable price. Fortunately, the NX1 doesn't sound like your usual budget amplifier! Paired with the Colorfly C3, the sound is just marvellous; clear, crisp, detailed, and very neutral. The low end is well extended and the top end is airy resulting into a respectable sound quality you'd never expect from a $50 device. As a matter of fact, I struggled differentiating the NX1 from the JDSlabs C5D because the overall tonality is quite similar. What I really like about the NX1 is the level of clarity it retains from your source and at the same time maintaining a neutral sound signature. I don't have any complaints about the NX1's sound performance whatsoever and if there is it'll be pairing with really sensitive IEMs. Using the Noble 4 results into an audible hiss that can be heard even when playing music at a very low volume. As for my other IEMs such as the T-PEOS Altone 200, there is barely any hiss and I'm quite happy with the pairing. 

FEATURES: The most important feature that I really admire about the NX1 is the power duration. Topping is claiming approximately 100 hours of play time with this device! That is some feature a constant traveller will surely appreciate. You're not only getting the portability due to its small size, but you also get more than enough juice to last you a plane trip around the globe! Well the plane will run out of fuel before the NX1 runs out. I haven't really tested the 100-hour mark but my experience of over 24-hours constant operation is enough to convince me that the NX1 is more than enough for my needs. This amplifier also has a Low and High gain which are handy for various headphones. I'm just not sure if it is powerful enough for high end power hungry headphones. But then again, I don't think the NX1 was built for such usage. I only wish there was a bass boost feature. A simple bass boost toggle switch would've made the NX1 the best budget portable amplifier in my books.

CONCLUSION: For those who are preparing a budget setup; look no further. I highly recommend the Topping NX1 Portable Headphone Amplifier. It's built to last, has power that keeps on going, sounds really good, very portable, and most of all quite affordable. Pairing this amplifier with the Colorfly C3 must also be considered because of the size and the NX1 inability to change the C3's sound signature which is just great!

Special thanks to everyone responsible for the NX1 Aussie Tour!

Jul 15, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #472 of 562
T-PEOS Altone 200 Review: "High End Sound, Cheap As Chips!"

T-PEOS is at it again… this time with the intention of pleasing the consumer market by offering an excellent sounding earphone without breaking the bank. The Altone 200 is the latest 3-way Hybrid Design adopted from their flagship IEM, the H-300. To achieve their goal, the main components such as the dynamic and balanced armature drivers are kept intact but extra features such as removable cables and premium accessories were excluded. Fortunately, the build quality of the IEM casing is excellent! Made from aluminium and steel with a superb smooth finish. The best part is how small and light these IEMs are… they can be easily inserted and stay comfortably in your ears. As for the most important question: how is the sound quality? Well let’s find out! T-PEOS was kind enough to send me a review unit and so here I am to share my first hand experience with the Altone 200.

NOTE: I did not receive the final retail packaging, so a few photos were taken from other sources.

SETUP:  Colorfly C3 > JDS Labs C5D
               iMac 2011 > JDS Labs C5D
               16/44 FLAC
               Using Comply TS200 foam tips.

TEST TRACKS:
              Dr. Chesky’s Ultimate Headphone Demonstration Disc
              Dream Theater - Greatest Hit (…and 21 Other Pretty Cool Songs)
              Pantera - Cowboys From Hell
              Tool - Lateralus
              Daft Punk - Random Access Memories
              Avicii - True
              Adele - 21
              Tina Turner - Greatest Hits
              Jewel - Greatest Hits
              Janet Jackson - Greatest Hits
              Nirvana - In Utero
              Bryan Adams - So Far So Good
              Michael Jackson - Bad (Remastered)

This could possibly be the final retail packaging. Photo courtesy of H20fidelity.

BASS: I’m a self-confessed fan of T-PEOS bass and the Altone 200 is no different. The bass performance was a big step-up on the H-300 and I’m glad that the quality is just as good with this new hybrid. The only minor differences are the decay, which is a bit quicker and the air is a bit lesser with the Altone 200. I reckon the smaller casing is a factor for these differences and whether anyone would prefer one over the other is a matter of preference. If the H-300 is Batman, the Altone 200 is Robin (Dick Grayson)… not as brawny as Batman yet more agile and charismatic. I say “charisma" because the bass quantity is perfect for almost all kinds of genre. Extends deep, with appropriate sub-bass rumble and a natural timbre to match. Its impact and slam are forces to be reckoned with, so visceral that they'll keep you entertained especially with heavy metal and electronic music. I am confident in claiming that its bass is one of, if not the best in detail I’ve heard from an IEM. Listening to Daft Punk’s Giorgio by Moroder (05:24 - 08:44) exhibits Altone 200’s bass prowess, a feat one could not simply ignore.

MIDS: What’s remarkable about the midrange is its totally free of bass bleed despite the boosted bass. The transition between mid-bass and the lower midrange is seamless enough that I don’t get distracted by coherence issues. Vocals may sound a bit far back in the background when listening at low volume. Increase the volume and the Altone 200 will surprise you with detail and clarity. The key is to find the volume sweet spot; only then the smooth, clear, and detailed midrange is realised. In my experience, the Altone 200 sounds at its best around 50%-55% volume on iPod Touch 5th Gen or 25-30 volume on the Colorfly C3. Male vocals are rendered smoothly while female vocals are a bit lifted. Guitars sound really good with accurate thickness and a little bit of edginess for that added crunch… perfect for heavy metal, rock, jazz, and acoustic. Clarity is among the best I’ve heard while timbre is just slightly on the thin side and really only noticeable during a volume matched A/B comparison with the Noble 4. The Altone 200 is far from a mid-centric sound signature yet it’s not far behind in overall midrange performance. The balance between bass and midrange is impressive and the fact that it’s being compared to the Noble 4 is already quite an accomplishment.

HIGHS: T-PEOS is known for emphasised lower treble and its definitely one of the distinct characteristics in the T-PEOS house sound. The Altone 200 stays true to its origin and I’m happy to report that the lower treble emphasis is more controlled and refined than any of the previous models. Cymbals sound quite natural but can sometimes be brighter than normal depending on the recording. Sibilance is only an issue if it already exists in the mixing/mastering of the track. Honestly, I did not encounter any issues with high quality recordings even if the genre calls for a brighter than normal sound signature. Resolution is probably the best in this price range where micro-detail is easily heard and better than most mid-tier IEMs. Overall, I’m quite happy with the treble this time around… a lot better than any of the previous models. If I were to nit pick, a little more emphasis on the upper treble will be perfect. There’s a bit of a roll-off but fortunately, micro-detail and airiness are still there. Not vividly perfect but certainly good enough and nothing a simple EQ can't solve. PLEASE NOTE: I used Comply TS200 for this review and results may slightly differ with various types of tips.

The RED strain relief is a nice touch to distinguish between right and left earpieces.

IMAGING AND SOUNDSTAGE: Soundstage is wider than average and can easily be improved with a slight EQ bump in the upper treble. What I like about the soundstage is that the width varies accordingly to the track being played. If the track calls for it, the Altone 200 will certainly deliver. Not as expansive as the Dunu DN-1000 but certainly not far behind either. Imaging remains exemplary comparable to previous flagship models like the H-300. Instruments are well placed with near accurate distances within the soundstage that is quite immersive. Impressive I must say considering that this is almost a budget IEM.

CONCLUSION: I’ve been looking forward to the day when T-PEOS finally releases a product that’ll satisfy my sound preference. I was spoilt by the H-200, thrilled by the H-300, and now satisfied with the Altone 200. I cannot stress enough how happy I am with the direction T-PEOS is heading. The Altone 200 is proof that these guys take customer feedback seriously and then strive to exceed expectations. Good on you T-PEOS!

Special thanks to Sunggoo Kwon of T-PEOS for the review unit and @H20Fidelity for his contributions in the development of Altone 200.

Jul 15, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #475 of 562
Awesome Review. Nice photos too!

Jul 15, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #479 of 562
Thanks guys!

Quote:
Do you consider the treble to be hotter or brighter than the DN1000?

From previous same question:
Can't really compare coz I no longer have the Dunu.

From memory the lower treble is about the same and variations will depend on the tips, seal, and depth of insertion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back