D marc0's Journal: My Head-fi Journey
Jul 23, 2014 at 2:18 AM Post #496 of 562
I like a good, powerful bass, clear vocals and something with great quality overall across most genres.

Then the altones could be an option, but if you'd want other alternatives, from your description, I strongly suggest you give ath ckr9s a listen too just before you make your decision.

Jul 23, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #497 of 562
Just checked that out. A little over my budget. Anyway, I've ordered both the Altone 200 and the GR07 Bass Edition, hoping to compare them, keep the one I prefer and return the other. Hoping I'm not off course with my choice of both.

Jul 23, 2014 at 3:03 AM Post #498 of 562
Just checked that out. A little over my budget. Anyway, I've ordered both the Altone 200 and the GR07 Bass Edition, hoping to compare them, keep the one I prefer and return the other. Hoping I'm not off course with my choice of both.

Very interested in your findings :D

Jul 23, 2014 at 3:28 AM Post #499 of 562
Very interested in your findings
biggrin.gif

:) cool. Will put up my impressions and comparisons when they both arrive.

Jul 23, 2014 at 4:07 AM Post #500 of 562

It'll be great to have a proper comparison between the two as there's quite a few members interested in both...
Cheers mate 
beerchug.gif

Jul 23, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #501 of 562
It would be nice to have a comparison with Kef 200 too.
There's one user in the forum that said that this kef iem was the best for Heavy Metal music... but for some reason the t-peos and the kef 200 have the same signature?
Just an impression...

Jul 23, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #502 of 562
  It would be nice to have a comparison with Kef 200 too.
There's one user in the forum that said that this kef iem was the best for Heavy Metal music... but for some reason the t-peos and the kef 200 have the same signature?
Just an impression...

KEF M200 is a nice sounding IEM but I find the bass decay lingers a little bit too long for heavy metal. Not bad but not the best either. You can check my review here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/694003/d-marc0s-journal-my-head-fi-journey-new-t-peos-altone-200-review/180
I also found something in its imaging and sound staging that I kinda dislike, hence me preferring the R3 instead.

Jul 24, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #503 of 562

KEF M200 is a nice sounding IEM but I find the bass decay lingers a little bit too long for heavy metal. Not bad but not the best either. You can check my review here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/694003/d-marc0s-journal-my-head-fi-journey-new-t-peos-altone-200-review/180
I also found something in its imaging and sound staging that I kinda dislike, hence me preferring the R3 instead.

Wow, I actually read almost all the pages.
Not only I discovered that you have a taste very close to mine, but also you tested and presented the strong points of a lot of iems I was looking for.
I subscribed and you are officially my number one source!
Please, keep it up!

Jul 24, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #504 of 562

Not only I discovered that you have a taste very close to mine, but also you tested and presented the strong points of a lot of iems I was looking for.
Please, keep it up!

Wow man, get a life!

wink.gif

Just kidding of course... d marc0's thread rocks!
beerchug.gif

Jul 24, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #505 of 562

Please, keep it up!

Thanks mate! Glad you find the thread useful.

Just kidding of course... d marc0's thread rocks!
beerchug.gif

Thanks masa Wayne!

Still not giving up on those H200? Well here's something to make you happy... preference wise I still like/miss the H200 bass. The Altone 200 is still technically more capable but I just prefer the bass quantity on the H200. 
wink_face.gif

Jul 24, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #506 of 562
Originally Posted by d marc0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks masa Wayne!

Still not giving up on those H200? Well here's something to make you happy... preference wise I still like/miss the H200 bass. The Altone 200 is still technically more capable but I just prefer the bass quantity on the H200. 
wink_face.gif

I'm holding off on purchasing anything for a few months, which means that I am being tortured by new iems like the A200's. But it helps to read some H200 love and to know that not everyone thinks the A200's completely blow the H200's out of the water!
biggrin.gif

Jul 24, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #507 of 562

I'm holding off on purchasing anything for a few months, which means that I am being tortured by new iems like the A200's. But it helps to read some H200 love and to know that not everyone thinks the A200's completely blow the H200's out of the water!
biggrin.gif

To a lot of people it does... personally I really think the Altone 200 is at a higher level in terms of refinement. It's just my love for the H200 sound that keeps me from dismissing it now that the Altone 200 is here.

UPDATE:

Coming soon:

LEAR LUF BD4.2 (dual dynamic + quad BA)

Brainwavz S5

Philips Fidelio S2

Jul 24, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #508 of 562

To a lot of people it does... personally I really think the Altone 200 is at a higher level in terms of refinement. It's just my love for the H200 sound that keeps me from dismissing it now that the Altone 200 is here.

Well then, for the price, it sounds like Tpeos has hit it out of the park with the Altone 200's. Gonna have to get me a listen one of these days!

Aug 17, 2014 at 4:46 AM Post #510 of 562
Brainwavz S5 Review: You get more than what you paid for!

My first experience with Brainwavz was the R3 and to be honest, I really like them despite the negative reception from most users regarding fit and comfort. The R3 sounded mature, well refined, and the timbre was just mesmerising. Now Brainwavz has just released the S5 and I am fortunate enough to be given the opportunity to review their new offering. So lets find out if the new S5 can impress me just as much as my last experience...

SETUP:  Colorfly C3 > JDS Labs C5D
               iMac 2011 > JDS Labs C5D
               16/44 FLAC
               Using Comply TS200 foam tips.

TEST TRACKS:
              Dr. Chesky’s Ultimate Headphone Demonstration Disc
              Dream Theater - Greatest Hit (…and 21 Other Pretty Cool Songs)
              Tool - Lateralus
              Daft Punk - Random Access Memories
              Avicii - True
              Pink - Greatest Hits... So Far!
              Tina Turner - Greatest Hits
              Boyz II Men - II
              Michael Jackson - Bad (Remastered)

The S5 has a single dynamic driver incased in a metal housing that is very well made with smooth surfaces. The strain reliefs are probably amongst the best, if not the best I've seen in an IEM. I wouldn't have a problem tossing these earphones around even when taken outdoors. I believe these can take the test of time and I'm glad that they've taken the same concept they originally had with the R3 but improved on the negatives such as the thickness and weight of the cables. The S5 cables may not be the lightest but they certainly are a lot better compared to the hefty R3 cables. I only wished they've used a less rubbery material and then terminated into an angled plug instead for a more concealed application when using these earphones outdoors. Other than that, there's really not much I can nit pick on the S5's build quality.

The SOUND of the S5 is quite pleasing to my ears, positioning itself as one of the top performers in the $100 price range. Not necessarily the best but definitely a lot better than most budget IEMs I’ve heard.

BASS has solid slam and impact but can be too emphasized for some genres such as heavy metal. There’s a noticeable boost in the entire bass frequency which I feel should’ve been minimized in the mid-bass region. At certain times the bass texture is just too thick that it causes a bit of veil over complex bass guitar lines. Fortunately, the quality is good enough with its decay/speed hovering at acceptable levels. Not as fast as balance armature driven earphones but not sloppy either… just a well balanced and natural sounding bass response that doesn’t bleed into the midrange. As a result, other genres sound really good on these! RnB, Rap, Hip-hop, Pop, and Rock Ballads are such a pleasure to listen through the S5.

MIDRANGE is quite intimate, clear, and detailed which I really appreciate considering those are hard to come by at this price range. Vocals are upfront especially with female artists giving an illusion that they’re singing in front of you. Guitar riffs in ballads are pleasantly presented like they’re the main feature of the song… thanks to the slight emphasis in the upper midrange. Clarity is also worth mentioning because it is quite capable and it’s a contributing factor in maintaining a good balance between low and mid frequencies.

HIGHS can be an issue for those who are sensitive to sibilance. There’s an emphasis in the lower treble that can sound harsh with some female vocals, aggressive sounding genres, and poorly mastered tracks. Despite this hurdle, I truly feel the added sparkle is needed to complement the boosted bass. Fortunately, the sibilance issue can be eliminated by using the right type of tips and I find comply foams really effective. Using Comply TS200 tips with the S5 not only eliminates sibilance but also results into a more even treble response with above average detail/resolution. Treble extension is good enough for most tracks but there are times when I feel like it could've benefit with just a little bit more.

IMAGING AND SOUNDSTAGE: Soundstage width is average but it doesn’t detract from a good musical presentation. Some listeners prefer a more intimate experience and the S5 is one of the strong candidates for the job. What makes the overall presentation work is the imaging capability of this budget wonder. Instruments are well placed all over the soundstage with no signs of congestion. The only time I noticed a short coming is when a complex and fast tempo bass guitar riff takes place. The emphasis in the mid bass coupled with its bass decay characteristic seem to veil the imaging and detail a bit. Other than that, the S5 is a solid performer as a budget IEM.

R3 COMPARISON: The overall sound is quite warm with enough clarity and sparkle making the S5 a well balanced, fun sounding IEM. Isolation is quite acceptable for outdoor use coupled with a robust build makes this an excellent choice for those who are looking for a daily driver without compromising sound quality. Compared to the older R3 dual-dynamic IEM from the same manufacturer, the S5 is just a little bit behind in terms of bass and treble refinement but it more than makes up for it in terms of fun factor, fit, and comfort. Aside from that, the S5 also sounds much richer in the midrange compared to the more laid back R3. I would say that the R3's inclination towards a neutral sound signature complements really well to the fun and energetic sounding S5. Two very good sounding yet contrasting offerings from Brainwavz!

CONCLUSION: The new S5 is an excellent offering from Brainwavz and is an awesome choice for those who are looking for a durable yet good sounding earphones for everyday use. At this price point, it's really a no brainer as I haven't really found a competitor than can out match the S5 in terms of durability and sound quality combined. These IEMs can take a beating and I most definitely recommend these to those who are always on the move and are in need of devices that can withstand vigorous activities.

Special thanks to Brainwavz for the S5 review unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back