Cyrus SoundKey portable DAC
Oct 24, 2018 at 2:25 AM Post #167 of 185
I'm searching for usb pendrive form factor dacs and was also interested to know what components Cyrus is using here. I found a picture of the PCB and it is clearly visible that the DAC chip is from TI (PCM5102) and the microcontroller is PIC32MX250F128B. Although on other pictures the PCB seems to be blue, this picture still looks valid.

Dec 28, 2018 at 5:04 AM Post #169 of 185
Hello guys! Did you try Sony NWZ A15 + Sony WMC-NWH10 (or Fiio L27 cable) + Cyrus Soundkey, do they work together?

I've listened to DAC integrated in Onkyo-9010 recently and I realised that my sony's DAC doesn't work well (too narrow scene, lack of details)

Regards,
Endy

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #170 of 185
Hello guys! Did you try Sony NWZ A15 + Sony WMC-NWH10 (or Fiio L27 cable) + Cyrus Soundkey, do they work together?

I've listened to DAC integrated in Onkyo-9010 recently and I realised that my sony's DAC doesn't work well (too narrow scene, lack of details)

Regards,
Endy
I have the A15 and the Sony NWH10 cable but no longer have a soundKey unfortunately

However as far as I am aware the Walkman can't power a USB DAC. Can only use with a battery powered or mains (as in my case) device. Sorry if not very helpful!

Dec 29, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #171 of 185
Should add even if the Cyrus powered up and connected there would be no way of adjusting the volume other than feeding into an external amp. The Walkman has no control its self over the volume when used as a digital transport just bit perfect digital transmission

A Mojo would be perfect but really the A15 sounds pretty great with the right phones especially when uncapped (and I've had a Mojo)

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #172 of 185
Hello all, I have a question of comparison.
Wondering if I should get Cyrus Soundkey or the Dragonfly Red for my iBasso IT04 IEMs? Would be connecting it to an iPhone 7 using Spotify. The Hifi review says that the Soundkey gives more instrument separation and clarity which sounds perfect for me. I am not sure exactly what the Red does to improve sound? I am also unsure if the Soundkey has a clicking problem with the iPhone 7 and Spotify where there is a clicking sound randomly interrupting songs?

Mar 16, 2019 at 3:55 PM Post #173 of 185
Finally got myself another soundkey. A few nice surprises comes with 3 months Qobuz streaming subscription, a felt storage bag and most importantly a USB C connecting cable. This is a quality cable and the connection is now rock solid.

All adds up to a real bargain at £79, considering the superb sound. It even makes a very reasonable fist of drinking my HD600

I don't use it with in ears. My earphones don't benefit at all from amping sorry.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #174 of 185
Does anyone know how to get the USB-C cable by itself? I've got the Amazon basics one and a couple of little 2-3" ones off eBay from China, but idI like the proper one if possible.

I use it with my Flare R2S and Flares Pro and it's worth its price, just as both sets of IEMs are too

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #175 of 185
Does anyone know how to get the USB-C cable by itself? IveIgot the Amazon basics one and a couple of little 2-3" ones off eBay from China, but idI like the proper one if possible.

I use it with my Flare R2S and Flares Pro and it's worth its price, just as both sets of IEMs are too

A company called Cable Creation do one. It is available via Amazon although it was out of stock on the UK site.

I actually ordered one of these thinking I would need for my new soundkey.

Mar 16, 2019 at 7:37 PM Post #176 of 185
A company called Cable Creation do one. It is available via Amazon although it was out of stock on the UK site.

I actually ordered one of these thinking I would need for my new soundkey.
I think I may have had that one in the past, but the connection became loose very quickly. I remember getting an email from Cyrus mentioning the new cable but it's not on their site. If you Google it, you can find the page, but no info on how to buy. Guess I could contact them directly. Admittedly I mainly use it with my laptop these days. I picked up a tiny USB-C DAC dongle by Hidizs which is even better for portability, but I'd like to have the full kit as it were.

Mar 19, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #177 of 185

Regards,
Endy

Sorry for the earlier misinformation based on speculation by me. I can now confirm that the soundKey does work with the A15 using NWH10

I was correct though in saying there was no control over volume. Your headphones and hearing will be obliterated instantly. However as a high quality line out to a portable amp, Graham Slee Voyager in my case its spectacular ( technically it might be double amping but who cares? )

Can't confirm battery life of the Sony at this stage but powering the Cyrus will take its toll.

Apr 30, 2019 at 8:38 AM Post #179 of 185
I noticed recently that I was getting tiny glitches with Amazon Music, both wired with a DAC and with Bluetooth Earbuds. Most of the time I would force close the app and it would seem ok again after re-launching. I also discovered a cache setting within the app’s settings which I thought might need clearing. I’m not 100% sure it’s the same as the popping and clicking though (I haven’t actually used my SoundKey with my Android device recently - but I do remember the faint crackling only audible between tracks).

I went with Amazon because everyone already has an account, and a Google search advised the audio quality is higher, so the glitches, or skips almost, were getting irritating. I did another quick Google search and the recognised solution for Android seems to be disabling any form of battery optimisation on whichever music app was producing the issue. So far it seems to have helped. Not sure if this is of use to anyone here, but it’s a possibility I guess.

Aug 13, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #180 of 185
My Full In-Depth Review on the Cyrus Soundkey is live now! :)

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2019/08/key-to-music-cyrus-audio-soundkey.html

Cyrus-Sound-Key-Soundkey-DAC-AMP-Portable-Smartphone-Review-Audiophile-Heaven-14.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back