Cyrus SoundKey portable DAC
Dec 26, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #151 of 185
Hi,

Just been though his thread and sounds like the Cyrus Soundkey has overcome its initial problems.

Will be mainly using such a DAC from the PC rather than the phone, wondered other than the Soundkey and Dragonfly if there was anything else I should be looking at in this price bracket, size not really important.

I'm under similar predicament atm.

I'm looking at either the SoundKey, Meridian Explorer 2 or the DF Black.

One thing that puts me off the SoundKey is no MQA support (not even promised?)

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #152 of 185
I own all 3 of these and I would happily say the Meridian is the best, followed by the Cyrus and lastly the DF. One point to mention though is that my iPhone doesn't have enough power to drive the Meridian so this is only for laptop use. MQA is definitely nice but for me there is not enough content yet. I still listen mostly to standard definition files.

Jan 15, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #153 of 185
I own all 3 of these and I would happily say the Meridian is the best, followed by the Cyrus and lastly the DF. One point to mention though is that my iPhone doesn't have enough power to drive the Meridian so this is only for laptop use. MQA is definitely nice but for me there is not enough content yet. I still listen mostly to standard definition files.

Hey there, I actually ended up buying the new FiiO Q1ii and I love it. Some people say it's better than even the DF Red, not sure how true that is. I guess I'm just a fan of the amazing musical FiiO sound.

I was also interested by the Cyrus Soundkey but the constant build quality complains put me off big time.

Apr 21, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #159 of 185
Presently I’m really enjoying listening to music just using my iPad Air and easy to drive Fidelio X2.
I’m surprised how well these giant cans work straight with an iPad and no additional amp/DAC.

Even Spotify sounds fantastic and I don’t feel I’m missing too much from not listening to my 24/96+ hi res music stored on the NAS.

Now that I’m having such a good time I have started to wonder what more I can achieve using a soundkey.
I have a decent mini audio m-dac headphone amp that gently improves sounds by tightening bass, bigger soundstage and clarity but it’s not exactly portable.

Anyone have experience to describe the audio improvemnts I can expect from using the soundkey with an iPad ?
I imagine it will certainly help with Iphone as that is volume restricted in EU.

I have collected too many gadgets in the past that end up collecting dust and trying to avoid this.
Can I expect to get discernible audio improvements in the area of bass or soundstage ? I prefer slightly warmer sounds than to over analytical and cold. Should I be looking at dragonfly instead ?

Apr 21, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #160 of 185
Presently I’m really enjoying listening to music just using my iPad Air and easy to drive Fidelio X2.
I’m surprised how well these giant cans work straight with an iPad and no additional amp/DAC.

Even Spotify sounds fantastic and I don’t feel I’m missing too much from not listening to my 24/96+ hi res music stored on the NAS.

Now that I’m having such a good time I have started to wonder what more I can achieve using a soundkey.
I have a decent mini audio m-dac headphone amp that gently improves sounds by tightening bass, bigger soundstage and clarity but it’s not exactly portable.

Anyone have experience to describe the audio improvemnts I can expect from using the soundkey with an iPad ?
I imagine it will certainly help with Iphone as that is volume restricted in EU.

I have collected too many gadgets in the past that end up collecting dust and trying to avoid this.
Can I expect to get discernible audio improvements in the area of bass or soundstage ? I prefer slightly warmer sounds than to over analytical and cold. Should I be looking at dragonfly instead ?

I'd you want warmer sound you're better off looking at something like a FiiO Q1ii or Q5, depending on your budget.

Apr 21, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #161 of 185
I'd you want warmer sound you're better off looking at something like a FiiO Q1ii or Q5, depending on your budget.

Those things are too big for my liking otherwise I would go for mojo. I’m looking for ultimate portable flash drive size.

I will equ if I have to warm the sound.

May 5, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #162 of 185
Those things are too big for my liking otherwise I would go for mojo. I’m looking for ultimate portable flash drive size.

I will equ if I have to warm the sound.

FiiO K1 in that case??

May 20, 2018 at 11:32 PM Post #164 of 185

Have a look at the Dragonfly Black. It's supposed to be a bit warmer and musical than the Red and it should drive the X2 well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back