Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Solo - Discussion and Impressions Thread
May 31, 2011 at 9:26 AM Post #121 of 1,788
Stepdance can no longer be bought new. A replacement should be out over the summer

May 31, 2011 at 9:39 AM Post #122 of 1,788
Yeah, I know and I hate waiting for stuff. I've e-mailed Jan for a more detailed update of the Stepdance2 and he's telling me 4 weeks to it's release. I've asked him to drop me a line when I can order.... 

May 31, 2011 at 10:29 AM Post #123 of 1,788

Quote:
Oh wow Mike~ looking at your current setup I guess the CLAS really is for you then~ Still lots of space in that case of yours :) There's no better transportable setup ATM heh! 

Thanks again for your input justanut.  It will take about $1000.00 to make better use of that space in my hard case (for the Classic + CLASS + interconnects).  

Which begs the question, is the CLAS really that much better than my Sony DAC?

I'm thinking of mailing my Sony PCM-M10 to ianmedium for his opinion.  He's already got the exact same rig I'm thinking of completing:   iPod Classic + CLAS + 15-Volt powered Stepdance + LCD-2
What do you say Ian?  While I'm playing with the loaner iMod, you can play with my Sony PCM-M10.  
o2smile.gif

If I end up buying the Classic + CLAS, I'll be blaming you more than anyone else anyway, because you already have the CLAS, you love the sound you're getting from it, and I respect every word you've ever written about what you hear from the 15V Stepdance and LCD-2.  You're totally on the the same wavelength as me in defining what sounds good, so how could you be wrong about the CLAS?    
biggrin.gif

At this point, I'd really like your opinion of just how bad my Sony DAC is - I'm thinking you'll be surprised at how good it sounds.  And please don't think I'm trying to pry the CLAS from your hands as a loaner.  I'd have to send you half an ounce of gold as collateral for that thing!   
redface.gif

Mike

May 31, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #124 of 1,788

Hi SpudHarris,
Quote:
Mike, that is some serious stuff going on in those links.... For someone obviously so 'into' their gear I would have also thought the CLAS would have a place in that case for sure.

That travel case is incredible but how do you shape the foam? I would have thought that some smaller blocks are removeable but I can't make that out on the pic.

I'm seeing a lot of love for the Stepdance recently I think I'll be looking at one very soon
tongue_smile.gif

It's not easy to see it in my pictures, but the HPRC case comes with pluck foam.  There's about an inch of solid foam in the bottom, then four inches of 1/2-inch by 1/2-inch pluck foam, then the egg-crate foam in the lid.  

Yes, the Stepdance is so transparent, so detailed, so accurate, so neutral, so "I'm not in your signal path at all,"  and with the 15-Volt supply voltage it just gets better.  

Here's my recent explanation of why 15V is the way to go:  http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/507835/meier-audio-stepdance-discussion-and-impressions-thread/1440#post_7504252

Mike 

May 31, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #125 of 1,788
Mmmm the only downside I can foresee is that you won't be able to load your 24bit songs... and its a hassle converting from 24bit Wav to 16bit for the CLAS iPod combo... I've gone through a few rounds... thank god I stopped collecting 24bit files after a short stint!

May 31, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #126 of 1,788
I hear you, it will be a lot of work to convert my WAV files to 44.1/16 Apple lossless, but I'm hoping it will be a little easier in that I have dbPoweramp, which allows me to do batch conversion of entire folders just by selecting them, right-clicking the selected group, and then selecting dbPowerAmp from the Windows Explorer context menu.  dbPoweramp is right on the Explorer popup menu along with Copy, Cut, Paste, etc.

Mike

Jun 9, 2011 at 5:57 AM Post #127 of 1,788
Hi
Please excuse my ignorance, but I'm considering the purchase of the Algorythm solo and an iPod to use with my JH-3A (when it is received).
All my music is recorded in FLAC for use with my HiFiMan801/SR71B/JH13/HD800.
Whilst I enjoy the sound from the HM801 the constant changing of SD cards (too small for labels) is a chore. I also, have to admit that I would quite like to hear my music via a digital out.
Am I correct in thinking that if I batch convert my FLAC to Apple lossless using dBpowramp, this will give me a 16/44 lossless format that can then be loaded on to the ipod?
thanks

Jun 9, 2011 at 6:08 AM Post #128 of 1,788
You are correct but I am not sure if DBpoweramp automatically downsamples your hi-res files (that is, if you have any)

Quote:
Hi
Please excuse my ignorance, but I'm considering the purchase of the Algorythm solo and an iPod to use with my JH-3A (when it is received).
Whilst I enjoy the sound from the HM801 the constant changing of SD cards (too small for labels) is a chore. I also, have to admit that I would quite like to hear my music via a digital out.
Am I correct in thinking that if I batch convert my FLAC to Apple lossless using dBpowramp, this will give me a 16/44 lossless format that can then be loaded on to the ipod?
thanks

Jun 9, 2011 at 7:01 AM Post #129 of 1,788
I'm using XLD on my Mac and while I could downsample, I couldn't change the bit-rate when I converted into ALAC. I had to use iTunes to convert the 24-bit ALAC into 16-bit... Perhaps I missed out some setting options in XLD haha... 

Just saying that there're ways, work-arounds for all problems :)

Jun 9, 2011 at 7:37 AM Post #130 of 1,788
Thanks for the prompt reply. My limited understanding is that the software won't degrade lossless to lossless but, I would imagine it can only transcribe to the best resolution that is available within the format. I might find the answer to the point you've raised in the help files.

Jun 9, 2011 at 8:26 AM Post #131 of 1,788

Quote:
I'm using XLD on my Mac and while I could downsample, I couldn't change the bit-rate when I converted into ALAC. I had to use iTunes to convert the 24-bit ALAC into 16-bit... Perhaps I missed out some setting options in XLD haha... 

Just saying that there're ways, work-arounds for all problems :)

I've tried a sample on a 24/96 file and it converted to a .m4a file (twice the size of the FLAC). Obviously I cant play it as I don't have the equipment, but it seems to have worked.

Jun 9, 2011 at 9:30 AM Post #132 of 1,788
Quote:
Hi
thanks

[size=medium]
Yes you can, on the screen where you choose the file type you want to convert to there is an options section at the bottom, you can add a "Resample" and "Bit Depth" DSP / effect. I do the same thing going from  96/24 flac to 44/16 flac for my portable setup.
[/size]

Jun 9, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #133 of 1,788

Quote:
Quote:

[size=medium]
Yes you can, on the screen where you choose the file type you want to convert to there is an options section at the bottom, you can add a "Resample" and "Bit Depth" DSP / effect. I do the same thing going from  96/24 flac to 44/16 flac for my portable setup.
[/size]

I concur - dbPoweramp allows you to do batch conversions of both the rate and the bit depth - all via a very easy to use interface. 

Mike

Jun 15, 2011 at 4:51 AM Post #135 of 1,788
Don't need to convert really if you will use ipod touch or iphone with the clas, just buy the flac player app.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back