Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Solo - Discussion and Impressions Thread
Aug 4, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #1,443 of 1,789
Quote:
I know that but you still need an amp.but pictured just has iphone and cypher. Even though it doesn't work with just those 2 together.

I agree with you.  Forgetting the interconnect requirement comments, you still need an amp for proper usage, to my knowledge.

Aug 11, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #1,444 of 1,789
We're all over complicating the answer. The iPhone 4S and later all have the old pin DOC connection therefore you don't to have to buy the Apple adapter to hook it to the CLAS and you don't have to buy an aftermarket cable because the cable interconnect comes with the CLAS. The iPhone 5 has a lightening connection therefore you'll have to buy an aftermarket cable to connect it to the CLAS or get the Apple adapter. To my knowledge Cypher Labs still doesn't provide a lightening connector. If they now do it's news to me. Mine came with 2 short interconnects for the old school Apple pin connector. I use mine with my Classic.

My new -dB from HifiHeadphones is a fresh delivery into the UK (they had to place an order from US as I wanted black :p). So fresh I got mine before HifiHeadphones updated their website. Anyway they asked me what Apple device I would be using as CypherLabs had given them a box of all different cables, including lightning to mini-usb.

As an aside the box contains a US charger and I was supplied with UK plug in a separate generic box. Guess they cannot customise at the plant.

Which brings me to mention the website, box and manual contains a typo. The clas uses USB mini-a, not mini-b. Odd no one has mentioned it.

Aug 15, 2013 at 1:16 AM Post #1,445 of 1,789
I read before the fix that some had an issue with the Pico Power pairing, a way back in this thread but i have had no problems with the current product.  Got an AK120 recently and the size is nice but when that is not a concern and i am listening to regular files(not 24bit) i still choose the brick with the iPod/Clas/Pico Power.  I still think it sounds more integrated and less edgy.  Don't get me wrong, the 120 is impressive and detailed/layered but........brick wins by a hair.

Do you think the CLAS is a better sounding DAC than that of the AK120? I want a DAC, DAC/AMP or DAP that I can connect to my 300B tube amp at home so want the unit that provides the best sound DAC.

Aug 15, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #1,446 of 1,789
The ak120 is more detailed and plays 24 bit files, that is an advantage. It sounds high end to me but the CLAS is warmer and fuller sounding. If I had to choose for home use and didn't have a lot of 24 bit files, I would use the CLAS. Quick answer, I'm at work.

Aug 21, 2013 at 7:15 AM Post #1,447 of 1,789
Pending the new iPads am using the -dB with my iMac and Pico Power amp. Compared to the Dacmagic, the DM is not as wide, piano notes have a slight digital ring to them and highs are slightly artificially detached and accentuated. -dB overall smoother sound, more coherent yet spacious and the bass is tighter with more impact. Still the DM is not embarrassed and remains very viable at its price point (or at least the replacement models Cambridge Audio brought out)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back