Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Solo - Discussion and Impressions Thread
Jun 19, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #1,396 of 1,788
With multimeter. Set to dc mV mode and measure without anything playing. You can use mini to mini jack to tap the left right and gnd. For balance might be bit tricky you will need tiny needle. For me I use my balance item cable.

Jun 19, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #1,397 of 1,788
With multimeter. Set to dc mV mode and measure without anything playing. You can use mini to mini jack to tap the left right and gnd. For balance might be bit tricky you will need tiny needle. For me I use my balance item cable.

I don't know if I did it right, but what I got is 30+ mV on the multimeter. Anyway, I ended up listening the music and forgot about it.

Jun 24, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #1,399 of 1,788
i have a question for you guys out there.

i just recently picked up a 64gb ipod touch 4th gen and previously i was using a ipod touch 3rd gen.

using the same setup

westone w4r
BTG_audio sunrise cable
alo audio rx mk2
cypher labs algorhythm solo
alo audio sxc SOLO cable set

and now the ipod touch 4g 64gb i am noticing alot more detail with the setup in its entirety. wider soundstage, phenomenal instrument separation, the soundstage is extremely accurate vocals and instruments seem to be in their place  lefts and rights and all around seems like the music is surounding you.

and i was wondering if its possible that the only thing i change in my setup was the ipod that maybe the 4g ipod is putting out cleaner signals to the CLAS/amp thus giving me this added detail in the sound?

i was not expecting anything from the ipod as obviously its bypassing the internal dac and internal dac. i only bought the ipod for the larger capacity. but to my suprise i seem to be getting this greater sound quality? maybe im nuts?

i just thought i would ask.  back and fourth comparison with same music and same lossless quality the 4g seems to put out alot more detail and clarity?

Jun 26, 2013 at 4:15 AM Post #1,400 of 1,788
Are you playing lossless files or compressed files? I guess, theoretically, if you are playing compressed files the decompression work could be handled better by one player vs. another? Ken mentioned in the past that battery life of the player will be higher when playing lossless as it just sends out the data with very little computation work.

But that is reaching...

I use 4 different players and I haven't noticed any differences.

Jun 26, 2013 at 4:54 AM Post #1,401 of 1,788
Are you quoting Ken Rockwell? Sweet. Haha.

Anyway, lossless is of course closer to source file and takes less cpu power to process. More bandwidth, yes, but less CPU power than MP3. However, the player still has to have a good decoder. A crappy lossless decoder can do a worse output job than a great lossy chip decoding perfectly. It isn't all cut and dried. 

Jun 26, 2013 at 8:40 AM Post #1,402 of 1,788
Ahh, no, Ken Ball from ALO.

Quote:
Are you quoting Ken Rockwell? Sweet. Haha.

Anyway, lossless is of course closer to source file and takes less cpu power to process. More bandwidth, yes, but less CPU power than MP3. However, the player still has to have a good decoder. A crappy lossless decoder can do a worse output job than a great lossy chip decoding perfectly. It isn't all cut and dried. 

Jun 26, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #1,404 of 1,788
Quote:
i was not expecting anything from the ipod as obviously its bypassing the internal dac and internal dac. i only bought the ipod for the larger capacity. but to my suprise i seem to be getting this greater sound quality? maybe im nuts?

Not surprising to me at all.  I experience a similar improvement switching from an iPhone 4s to MB Pro with the -dB.  My guess is YMMV depending on the gear being used with the Solo.  

Jun 26, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #1,405 of 1,788
yes i am using 1411kbps lossless audio files.

i guess the decoding processing of the ipod 4g is probably better than the 3g? or maybe just better at processing in the output? i donno

Jun 28, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #1,407 of 1,788
Quote:
CLAS owners.

Is the volume bar visible when connected to an ipod touch or iphone? Thanks.

*photos welcome.

ipod classic - volume bar visible

edit- oops requested touch/iphone sorry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back