Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Solo - Discussion and Impressions Thread
Jan 24, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #1,141 of 1,788
I'm loving the sound so much that I just can't go back. Just snagged an SR-71b to replace my P-51. Hope that works!

Oh, the 71B will be perfect! Congrats mate.. Now, enabler that I am :rolleyes: imagine what it is going to sound like with the TU-05!

Jan 24, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #1,142 of 1,788
I know, right? 
tongue.gif
 I had to replace the solid state aspect of my portable rig first. I need a truly throw and go portable amp. This will set me back a bit more on the 05, but it's next on my list!

Jan 24, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #1,143 of 1,788
I sold my CLAS -dB to a Head-fier with the 71B and he loves it (SE mode).  With my Portaphile 627 I had the issue of the scratchy pot and when I got the volume about half way on the dial both channels would cut out.  The sound is very good up until one reached that point in which the channels would cut out.  With the cMoy there was a little issue with the scratchy pot but the channels would not cut out.  Good to know they will produce a higher voltage model that would pair with the Portaphile whose sound I find top-notch.

Jan 24, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #1,144 of 1,788
I have loved every minute of my Blackbird, just give it a good 400 hours and you will find it open and transparent, not the dark amp so many here say it is. I have no intention of selling mine, in fact it is forming the part of my walk about lightweight rig.

Jan 24, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #1,145 of 1,788
Quote:
I sold my CLAS -dB to a Head-fier with the 71B and he loves it (SE mode).  With my Portaphile 627 I had the issue of the scratchy pot and when I got the volume about half way on the dial both channels would cut out.  The sound is very good up until one reached that point in which the channels would cut out.  With the cMoy there was a little issue with the scratchy pot but the channels would not cut out.  Good to know they will produce a higher voltage model that would pair with the Portaphile whose sound I find top-notch.

Relieved to hear the 71b doesn't suffer with the finicky -db issues! 

Quote:
I have loved every minute of my Blackbird, just give it a good 400 hours and you will find it open and transparent, not the dark amp so many here say it is. I have no intention of selling mine, in fact it is forming the part of my walk about lightweight rig.

Good to hear. I think the 71b will fill that spot as my go-to anywhere amp. TU-05 will stay in the bedroom most of the time. 

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #1,146 of 1,788
The SR-71b is doing it too! Gosh, how annoying. How can CL release a product that is only working with a handful of amps?

Really not happy. 

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #1,147 of 1,788
Quote:
The SR-71b is doing it too! Gosh, how annoying. How can CL release a product that is only working with a handful of amps?

Really not happy. 

Sorry, can you please detail the issue you're having and the settings you've got? I'm having my iPhone 4S hooked up to the CLAS -dB at the moment, then ALO cabled balanced to the SR-71B in low gain (standard, no changes or upgrades), and single ended to my Tralucent 1Plus2.

I'm on max volume on the SR-71b and I don't get any sound cutouts.

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #1,148 of 1,788
Try the SR-71b in high gain and play something very quiet through it and turn it up all the way. 

I am using IEMs, and headphones. On low gain with the SR-71b, it's fine. But not on high gain. With my P-51, I can't make it 1/4 way up the pot before sound cuts out. 

If I move the pot slowly, the sound get s louder, then scratchy, then I lose one channel, and then the sound gets hollow, then cuts out completely. 

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #1,149 of 1,788
Dont know if this makes any difference but have you tried seeing if a different gain setting helps?

Must admit I am glad I have the original, it had no bugs from the get go and still performs after almost two years like it did the day I got it. I hope these issues can be sorted, I have more faith in David that I do in many other audio companies out there. No matter the issue I just know he will take care of you SF.

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #1,150 of 1,788
Ah, I see you answered as I typed. Must admit I never use mine on anything other than low gain as I find the background is even clearer and the sound is slightly better on low rather than high gain. Still, there should not be this issue.

Jan 25, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #1,151 of 1,788
Quote:
Try the SR-71b in high gain and play something very quiet through it and turn it up all the way. 

I am using IEMs, and headphones. On low gain with the SR-71b, it's fine. But not on high gain. With my P-51, I can't make it 1/4 way up the pot before sound cuts out. 

If I move the pot slowly, the sound get s louder, then scratchy, then I lose one channel, and then the sound gets hollow, then cuts out completely. 

Trying on my Ortofon eQ-5's 'cos my 1Plus2 is still too new to kill. So far on the SR-71b, no problems. How long does it run before it kills the sound? Been running maybe about 1.5 - 2 mins so far. By the way, since you mentioned, presumably balanced IC's?

Jan 25, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #1,152 of 1,788
I'm running all SE right now. And the sound cuts out immediately. Are you on high gain? The Balanced may be higher gain. 

Jan 25, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #1,153 of 1,788
Quote:
I'm running all SE right now. And the sound cuts out immediately. Are you on high gain? The Balanced may be higher gain. 

Yes I was on balanced mode, high gain. Let me try SE. Again, how long before it cuts off? I had mine running probably for a whole song's worth in the end (4 mins thereabouts?).

Jan 25, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #1,155 of 1,788
side question: Can I run a balanced cable from CLAS to amp, the use the SE output from amp to headphone? Would that be an improvement? Or maybe in this case, a solution?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back