Cypher Labs Algorhythm Solo: A Game Changer - Head-Fi TV, Episode 003
Apr 9, 2011 at 11:06 AM Post #19 of 122
great work, jude.
it's exciting times for headphone users.
i just bought the HRT iStreamer, and am pretty knocked out by it.
and now i see the AlgoRhythm is even a step up from that device.  nice...

Apr 9, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #20 of 122
Jude,

The idea of hosting a video program is great and you are doing a very nice job overall, but this is the second time you have introduced a new piece of hardware without providing any feedback/review on the audio characteristics.

I think a lot of us would really like to get your opinion on how the solo sounds, or at least what else you might think it compares to in terms of sound quality and characteristics.  Understanding that you cannot get into a very deep review within a 10-minute video, but you'll really make the program better if you can add even just a little bit.  For starters, provide a quick impression on how having the Solo between the ipod and headphone amp makes a difference vs. running directly into the amp from the ipod's LOD, etc.  Or maybe what desktop rig you would compare it to in terms of sound quality, etc.

Apr 9, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #22 of 122
AS far as making the pros and cons clear, i think a slide of text on the video listing these pros and cons quickly would be great.

Apr 9, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #23 of 122
senn HD25 yay!

jude got me interested in the DT1350, I am going to keep an eye in the portable forums for some reviews. the double headband design seems to be inspired in the senn tho, or the pioneer SE L40 from the 60's, dont know which was first.

dont know about the DAC, DAP and AMP are already enough for me to carry, unless im carrying my computer. very few people would carry all that stuff without a package or a bag.

Apr 9, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #24 of 122
Thanks, everyone, for the comments and suggestions.  Still being very new to this makes it all the more appreciated and helpful.

Quote:
Cool stuff. You should do a headphone review soon (this is head-fi after all!). The amps and dacs are all cool, but in the end, it's all about the cans...

There will be headphone-specific episodes coming soon, I promise.

Quote:
I enjoyed the review, thanks for putting it together.  One suggestion I would make is to at least briefly present some of the drawbacks of the products you're presenting.  I know it's not a full review, but it would help to mention some things that may be considered flaws or trade-offs.  And I would love to hear more specifically how the Solo improves upon an iMod+amp setup or another high-quality portable source.

In the case of the Solo, other than its size and price, are there any other factors that might give someone considering buying it some pause?  As someone who has a lot of FLAC files, I would say that the inability to Rockbox a 6th/7th Gen iPod means that I'd have to convert my collection and buy Apple Lossless going forward.  Not really a flaw of the Solo, but definitely something to consider in light of the prevalence of FLAC files.  The Touch and the iPhone have the FLAC player app, but it seems barely usable to me (no "shuffle all tracks" option or ability to create playlists).

Looking forward to the next episode!  I'm especially curious to learn more about over-the-ear portables that Jude pulled out, and any others which have a low profile suitable for office use

For the way I use it, there haven't been any drawbacks for me yet.  Understandably, for some, as you stated, size may be an issue; though the video makes clear its size, so anyone watching it probably won't be too surprised when he sees it in person.  To my ears, the sonic performance is every bit as good as I state in the video. The battery life I've experienced has been at least as long as specified by the maker. And, functionally, it has done everything i expected of it so far.  So far, so very good.  However, if, over time, I find something I don't like about the Solo, I'll mention it here.

As for how it compares to an iMod+amp:  I apologize, dj nellie, but I can't answer this, as I've not owned an iMod.  However, unlike an iMod, this rig allows me to use my 160GB iPod while on-the-go (the biggest DAP I've got, in terms of storage).  And it allows me to go even bigger--much bigger--swapping that iPod Classic for my iPhone when I'm at home, so that I can AirPlay stream my far-larger-than-160GB music collection from my main iTunes library to my iPhone (and also my iPad).

Regarding FLAC / Rockbox:  I understand where you're coming from, but, as you also suggested, that's really more about reviewing the iPod and it's limitations, isn't it?  And I think most people who want to use FLAC with the iPod are aware of the iPod family's limitations in this regard.  I don't have any iPods with Rockbox.

As for the headphones:  The beyerdynamic DT 1350 is, in my opinion, an excellent headphone.  Also, if you're looking for something low-profile, it fits the bill very well.  It's not as cool looking on the head as the HD 25-1 II, but the DT1350 is definitely lower profile on the head than the HD25-1 II--the DT1350's headband hugs close to your head's shape, with essentially just the earpieces protruding.  (I'll show how both of these headphones look when worn on the head, in a future episode.)

Quote:
Don't take it to an airport though, they'll think its a bomb.

I've only had to let someone at a security checkpoint hear my rig playing once, to the best of my recollection.  When I've been asked, I've just told them it's a high-end portable music/studio recording monitoring setup (which is helped by having at least one custom IEM and/or over-ear heapdhone--more convincing, in my opinion, than white earbuds, for example).  When I was asked to hear it, I plugged the headphone into the amp, and played music loud (by adjusting the volume with the amp), then unplugged the amp from the iPod to show that the music stopped when I did that.

That said, I haven't taken the Solo through an airport yet, but I don't anticipate any more problem than I've so far had.

If you're sweating profusely at the checkpoint, that probably won't help your cause.
wink.gif

Quote:
great work, jude.
it's exciting times for headphone users.
i just bought the HRT iStreamer, and am pretty knocked out by it.
and now i see the AlgoRhythm is even a step up from that device.  nice...

I've heard and read very good things about the iStreamer.  There will be one arriving here soon.  The one obvious advantage the Solo has is its internal battery, and the portability that comes with that.  As for sonic performance, I'll have to wait and hear the iStreamer, and am looking forward to it.

Quote:
Jude,

The idea of hosting a video program is great and you are doing a very nice job overall, but this is the second time you have introduced a new piece of hardware without providing any feedback/review on the audio characteristics.

I think a lot of us would really like to get your opinion on how the solo sounds, or at least what else you might think it compares to in terms of sound quality and characteristics.  Understanding that you cannot get into a very deep review within a 10-minute video, but you'll really make the program better if you can add even just a little bit.  For starters, provide a quick impression on how having the Solo between the ipod and headphone amp makes a difference vs. running directly into the amp from the ipod's LOD, etc.  Or maybe what desktop rig you would compare it to in terms of sound quality, etc.

meltdown100, this isn't the first time I've received this suggestion after Episode 002.  And I agree with you.  Video is tough (for me anyway, at this stage).  So far, we've shot a lot more footage per episode than we actually include.  Some of the specific sonic impressions were admittedly not included, in the interest of time (trying to keep it concise).  I'll see if we can do better about fitting it all in, in a reasonable amount of time, in videos.  And, when I can't (or don't) in the video, we can try to hash it out in the corresponding threads (like this one).

As for how it compares to the iPod Classic 160GB alone (into the same SR-71b amp):  I have the very first 160GB iPod model (circa 2007), and the advantage of the Solo over this model is particularly substantial, as I find this particular iPod model to be sonically unimpressive--it has flat imaging (which I find is its single biggest deficiency, and which is even more pronounced out of its own headphone out), and this iPod can be a bit metallic sounding up top.

The Solo simply has both the deft touch and the big dynamics--and great, fleshy imaging--that I've only previously heard from desktop sources (and one other portable source in the HiFiMAN HM-801).  In terms of overall performance, the overall resolution of the Solo falls short of one of my favorite DACs (the Lavry DA11), but yet this little box performs better than my old MSB GoldLink III DAC, to my ears (the MSB being fed by the iTransport--I have yet to go Solo digital-out to the MSB).   The MSB is a little softer, in terms of fine detail, than the Solo, and even more so versus the Lavry.  Again, though, simply put, the Solo sounds so much bigger than it is.

Quote:
AS far as making the pros and cons clear, i think a slide of text on the video listing these pros and cons quickly would be great.

I really like this idea, too.  Thanks for that.

Quote:
Great episode. But still the greatest interest goes towards the DT1350. Would like to hear more about them.

Coming soon.

Quote:
I spy a Mission Workshop...Monty?

It's a Mission Workshop Rummy messenger bag--a bit bigger than the Monty model.  I am a giant fan of Mission Workshop's bags, and have yet to find a better, higher quality messenger bag than the Rummy (and I'm sure that holds true for the Monty and Shed models, too).  It is also, by a wide margin, the most comfortable messenger bag I've used (and I've used a lot of different ones).  People very regularly ask me about the Rummy when I'm out and about with it, and it had the same effect on people when I was in Europe recently.  (Mine is gray with gold hardware.)

I also have a Mission Workshop Vandal backpack--fully expanded, the Vandal is one of the only bags I have that can carry almost all of the headphones I've got here.  If any of you are familiar with Chrome messenger bags, the Mission Workshop founders are the guys who previously founded Chrome.

Quote:
....dont know about the DAC, DAP and AMP are already enough for me to carry, unless im carrying my computer. very few people would carry all that stuff without a package or a bag.

This kind of rig isn't for everyone.  And you're right--I certainly don't hand-carry it out and about; I only bring it with me when I've got a messenger bag or backpack to put it in.  Again, I'll say more about the DT 1350 in a video soon, but, if you're wanting to order it now, I highly recommend it.

Apr 9, 2011 at 3:38 PM Post #26 of 122
I have a question:

If you go to ALO Audio's site to see this item, you'll see it sold by itself or bundled with the AlgoRythm Rx Mk2 amp:

http://aloaudio.com/portable-audio/portable-headphone-amps/

In your video, you're pairing the Solo with a Ray Samuels SR71B.  I was just wondering if you have an opinion on the differences of the pairings?

I also wanted to make the community aware, just to prevent confusion.  Thanks for this video.  It was a real eye opener.

Apr 9, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #27 of 122
great episodes, but i'd pretty much like better quality, 480p or maybe 720p? 
and about that portable rig, i know it sounds great and like a desktop one but you said nothing about the price, which also rivals the desktop ones :D
i like it and keep them coming :D

Apr 9, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #29 of 122
Are their any competitors to the AlgoRhythm Solo? That being a battery powered iPod or other portable compatible DAC?

Apr 9, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #30 of 122
Nice review.  Was interested in the solo until I heard $579 - damn thats a lot.  But still if I was happy with the rest of my gear I would definitely buy one of these if just to resurrect my poor ipod which hasn't been used for several months.  But for $579, plus the bulk of the thing, plus extra batteries to charge, plus the cost of good quality interconnect it better blow comparably priced all-in-one DAP solutions out of the water...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back