CustomArt FIBAE Impressions Thread
Apr 5, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #841 of 2,466
Well, after one week with my FIBAE3, I'm at a loss somehow...
I don't know if my expectations are "false" but after reading a lot about the sound signature of the FIBAE3 being the brightest of all Custom Art CIEMS and everything about

and

I'm asking myself if my ears are shot. :o2smile:
For me, coming from some hybrid IEMs and listening a lot with my Sony MDR-1A, the sound signature of the FIBAE3 is somewhat "veiled" and "muffled". The bass is gorgeous without questions! For me, this is plenty enough bass, which suprised me a lot. After reading a lot about BA-driven in ears, my biggest fear was that the bass would not match the sound of hybrid IEMs with their dynamic driver. Piotr also told me that the FIBAE3 has the least amount of bass compared to the other CIEMs. So the bass really is not a problem for me. I'm listening a lot to metal and especially shouted vocals and all the cymbals doesn't sound like I would expect them.
As you can see/read, I'm really struggeling... Maybe I should buy some Etymotic to see, what other sound signatures might sound like.

I think what you may be hearing is the lower-treble dip. This dip is so the IEM doesn't sound harsh or sibilant because of over-accentuation. I'd recommend you spend more time with them and report back after your brain adjusts to the signature more. I also own the MDR-1A and I find it extremely warm and mellow, so I'm not sure what's going on here. :D

Apr 5, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #842 of 2,466
I don't know if my expectations are "false" but after reading a lot about the sound signature of the FIBAE3 being the brightest of all Custom Art CIEMS and everything about

and

For me, coming from some hybrid IEMs and listening a lot with my Sony MDR-1A, the sound signature of the FIBAE3 is somewhat "veiled" and "muffled". The bass is gorgeous without questions! For me, this is plenty enough bass, which suprised me a lot. After reading a lot about BA-driven in ears, my biggest fear was that the bass would not match the sound of hybrid IEMs with their dynamic driver. Piotr also told me that the FIBAE3 has the least amount of bass compared to the other CIEMs. So the bass really is not a problem for me. I'm listening a lot to metal and especially shouted vocals and all the cymbals doesn't sound like I would expect them.
As you can see/read, I'm really struggeling... Maybe I should buy some Etymotic to see, what other sound signatures might sound like.

Well,
like I wrote before, the cable has a huge impact on the sound signature of the F3, much more than the player, that could be the reason.
if you have the chance to try cables with different materials you'll notice how the signature will change.
For me, I found the EA Leonidas and the Prima Donna to add details and extension to the treble, while the Ares II (especially the + version) add more body bass but the treble are more recessed.

Apr 5, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #843 of 2,466

and

Checked a different cable to see if yours is faulty or has the polarity the right way (Left and Right dots on the cable should face up)? Also check to see if the cables are plugged firmly in.

Got an appointment on saturday to get my ear sorted once and for all at the doctors. Instead of the traditional syringing we are going to be doing the microsuction, at a cost of £50 per ear, so really hope this sorts it. Don't normally have this much trouble with it. Only thing is my hay fever is now starting to kick in which is why I really wanted to get this done earlier in the year. At this rate it's going to be summer before I get sorted out!

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #844 of 2,466
I think what you may be hearing is the lower-treble dip. This dip is so the IEM doesn't sound harsh or sibilant because of over-accentuation. I'd recommend you spend more time with them and report back after your brain adjusts to the signature more. I also own the MDR-1A and I find it extremely warm and mellow, so I'm not sure what's going on here. :D
Yeah, I also think that this is the main reason for the sound signature.

Well,
like I wrote before, the cable has a huge impact on the sound signature of the F3, much more than the player, that could be the reason.
if you have the chance to try cables with different materials you'll notice how the signature will change.
For me, I found the EA Leonidas and the Prima Donna to add details and extension to the treble, while the Ares II (especially the + version) add more body bass but the treble are more recessed.
I have tried it with stock cable and Linum Bax G2. Normally, the FIBAE technology should avoid or lessen the effect of cables. Technically speaking, the only effect of a cable is the impedance of itself. If you have some really sensitive IEMs which reacts to the output impedance, every point of impedance of the cable matters.

Checked a different cable to see if yours is faulty or has the polarity the right way (Left and Right dots on the cable should face up)? Also check to see if the cables are plugged firmly in.[...]
Ordered my FIBAE3 with MMCX connectors, so even I can't plug it in faulty ^^.

Apr 5, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #845 of 2,466
Yeah, I also think that this is the main reason for the sound signature.

I have tried it with stock cable and Linum Bax G2. Normally, the FIBAE technology should avoid or lessen the effect of cables. Technically speaking, the only effect of a cable is the impedance of itself. If you have some really sensitive IEMs which reacts to the output impedance, every point of impedance of the cable matters.

Actually, based on my trials, the cable is more important than the source, especially for this earphone :ksc75smile:.

Having use the linum before, I can tell you that cable is quite dark and can definitely affect the treble.

Apr 5, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #846 of 2,466

You could still swop left and right by accident. Figured it might be a polarity issue down to how you described vocals and cymbals. Guess it's time shoot Piotr an email to see if what you are hearing is accurate or not then.

Apr 5, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #847 of 2,466
You could still swop left and right by accident. Figured it might be a polarity issue down to how you described vocals and cymbals. Guess it's time shoot Piotr an email to see if what you are hearing is accurate or not then.

No, I don't think is that.
I experienced the same when I used the linum on my SE5U, the ciem went "dark" and the treble were recessed, it sounded like the upper end disappeared.

Apr 5, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #848 of 2,466
Actually, based on my trials, the cable is more important than the source, especially for this earphone :ksc75smile:.

Having use the linum before, I can tell you that cable is quite dark and can definitely affect the treble.
I don't want to discuss the never ending topic "cable" here.

No, I don't think is that.
I experienced the same when I used the linum on my SE5U, the ciem went "dark" and the treble were recessed, it sounded like the upper end disappeared.
Sound is the same with stock cable and they should have a higher impedance than the Linum. (Linum 1,5 Ohm, Stock something around 3 Ohm). I can also confirm that, with the Linum, I have to turn my DAP a little down to match the volume.

Apr 5, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #849 of 2,466
I don't want to discuss the never ending topic "cable" here.

Sound is the same with stock cable and they should have a higher impedance than the Linum. (Linum 1,5 Ohm, Stock something around 3 Ohm). I can also confirm that, with the Linum, I have to turn my DAP a little down to match the volume.

Ok, but it has to do more about the geometry and material of the cable than the impedance.

Apr 5, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #850 of 2,466
I have done that already and as always, fast response from him or Kamil. The polarity was also something I was thinking about. Especially if we take into account that Piotr is trying to create the dip at around 5kHz. If the polarity for e.g. the treble tweeter is switched, this might end in really funny results if we take the crossover section into account. To be honest, I don't think that this will happen to both ear pieces as you would have to solder the wires the wrong way two times. The only explanations might be that Piotr received some drivers with somehow mixed internal wiring but I highly doubt that also.

Apr 5, 2018 at 3:16 PM Post #851 of 2,466
I have done that already and as always, fast response from him or Kamil. The polarity was also something I was thinking about. Especially if we take into account that Piotr is trying to create the dip at around 5kHz. If the polarity for e.g. the treble tweeter is switched, this might end in really funny results if we take the crossover section into account. To be honest, I don't think that this will happen to both ear pieces as you would have to solder the wires the wrong way two times. The only explanations might be that Piotr received some drivers with somehow mixed internal wiring but I highly doubt that also.

Custom Art measure their IEMs multiple times throughout the build process. Although it's possible for something like this to have occurred, it is very unlikely.

Apr 5, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #852 of 2,466
Ok, but it has to do more about the geometry and material of the cable than the impedance.
Well, as a chemist with strong background in physical chemistry, everything I learned about material science tells me that it is only the impedance. Especially if we look at the 1m to 3m and the really low voltage and current we're talking about.
The one thing you might experience is a rise or fall in volume (see Brookos review as an example)
I don't say cables doesn't matter. Contrary, cable do matter a lot for multi-BA in ears. See for example the meaurements on Headflux for the Campfire Andromeda. (Section "Matchability") If you need an output impedance of 0.5 Ohm to avoid changes in the frequency response, a cable might have a huge impact.

Apr 5, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #853 of 2,466
Apr 6, 2018 at 4:54 AM Post #854 of 2,466
For me, coming from some hybrid IEMs and listening a lot with my Sony MDR-1A, the sound signature of the FIBAE3 is somewhat "veiled" and "muffled".

Perhaps you were expecting a lower treble peak (a more common tuning), when the F3 has its peaks in the upper treble? I think I had a similar expectation.

Some guy here (was it you, @msiekkb?) was one of the first to hear the F3, and he described it as similar to the Etymotic ER4. So when I ordered F3, I was expecting a similar signature to the ER4: 1) a lower treble peak, and 2) linear upper treble.

I was caught off-guard when I received my custom F3, and heard 1) a lower treble dip, and 2) peaks in the upper treble. I enjoy my F3 very much since it sounds so unique, but I initially expected it to sound much more orthodox and "safe".

Apr 6, 2018 at 5:54 AM Post #855 of 2,466
Perhaps you were expecting a lower treble peak (a more common tuning), when the F3 has its peaks in the upper treble? I think I had a similar expectation.

Some guy here (was it you, @msiekkb?) was one of the first to hear the F3, and he described it as similar to the Etymotic ER4. So when I ordered F3, I was expecting a similar signature to the ER4: 1) a lower treble peak, and 2) linear upper treble.

I was caught off-guard when I received my custom F3, and heard 1) a lower treble dip, and 2) peaks in the upper treble. I enjoy my F3 very much since it sounds so unique, but I initially expected it to sound much more orthodox and "safe".

+1 I expected them to be a somewhat flat reference sounding monitor, but instead was greeted with a sub-bass boost that thickens the sound without affecting the glorious midrange. There is no peak in the lower treble, which makes the midrange to treble transition smooth, but perhaps lacking a little energy in the initial cymbal crash. However the upper treble is slightly boosted leading to excellent air and detail retrieval.

A very unique tuning, but also quite different if you are coming from a more typical "reference" tuning.

The F3 are actually quite full sounding to my ears, but with excellent articulation, dynamics, separation, air and detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back