CustomArt FIBAE Impressions Thread
Mar 31, 2018 at 4:54 AM Post #826 of 2,466
thx!

my customs are acrylic and I've been wearing them for five days. when I had my impressions done, I got closed mouth impressions and I clenched my jaw a bit too hard because I was nervous. i'm mainly concerned about comfort, I mostly listen at home, with the iems in my ears for up to 8 hours a day. at the moment, the canal portions on both sides have a dull ache after about half an hour. it gets pretty unbearable after a while. the left canal also feels a bit to long, the seal breaks often and the cymba portion doesn't really fit well unless I press the iem in until the tip hurts. if I were to get a refit, do you have any tips as to what I should do if I redo my ear impressions?

Not Piotr, but here's some tips that I've picked up from him and on headfi. As ever ymmv and I'm sure Piotr will chime in at some point :)

Use a bite block, and relax the jaw. Even though it's called a bite block the idea is to have it positioned in the mouth to keep the jaws opened.

Did your audiologist know about ciems or were they used to doing hearing aids only? If the former you should be good to go discussing the problems with them and showing them the instructions from the 64 audio site. If the latter then you really need to stress the differences between the hearing aid and the ciem for impressions. This I think is where I've been having issues and it's only now that I've changed audiologists that I have come to realize that.

Maybe contact 64audio and see if there are any audiologists in your area that they could recommend?

Good luck in getting them sorted out, I know all too well the frustation of not getting a decent fit from customs.

Mar 31, 2018 at 5:05 AM Post #827 of 2,466
Not Piotr, but here's some tips that I've picked up from him and on headfi. As ever ymmv and I'm sure Piotr will chime in at some point :)

Use a bite block, and relax the jaw. Even though it's called a bite block the idea is to have it positioned in the mouth to keep the jaws opened.

Did your audiologist know about ciems or were they used to doing hearing aids only? If the former you should be good to go discussing the problems with them and showing them the instructions from the 64 audio site. If the latter then you really need to stress the differences between the hearing aid and the ciem for impressions. This I think is where I've been having issues and it's only now that I've changed audiologists that I have come to realize that.

Maybe contact 64audio and see if there are any audiologists in your area that they could recommend?

Good luck in getting them sorted out, I know all too well the frustation of not getting a decent fit from customs.
thx! the ppl in dealing with are official 64 Audio sellers, I'll discuss my problems with them

Apr 1, 2018 at 1:40 AM Post #828 of 2,466
thx!

my customs are acrylic and I've been wearing them for five days. when I had my impressions done, I got closed mouth impressions and I clenched my jaw a bit too hard because I was nervous. i'm mainly concerned about comfort, I mostly listen at home, with the iems in my ears for up to 8 hours a day. at the moment, the canal portions on both sides have a dull ache after about half an hour. it gets pretty unbearable after a while. the left canal also feels a bit to long, the seal breaks often and the cymba portion doesn't really fit well unless I press the iem in until the tip hurts. if I were to get a refit, do you have any tips as to what I should do if I redo my ear impressions?
Clenching your jaw or repositioning your mouth or moving your head around can make some difference in fit. Even sometimes impression material can make big difference. Still the production method and process plays huge role in the final fit as well.
We have our impression procedure described here: https://thecustomart.com/faq/#impressions other manufacturers should have their own, since everyone process impressions in different way so it's advised to follow advised procedure by IEM manufacturer.

In your case, I would recommend talking to the original manufacturer and discussing your options, since sometimes the fix might be very easy and quick and you might not need full refit, just a bit of sanding here and there.

Hope that helps

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #831 of 2,466
Hi, I was looking for frequency resonse measurements of the FIBAE 1, but I can't semm to find any. I was looking at getting them, but am concerned about a lack of highs.
I will be using them for general listening, but also on stage doing many kinds of music. Would the FIBAE 1 be up for that task?
Also, in the design interface, how do you change text color?

Apr 4, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #832 of 2,466
Hi, I was looking for frequency resonse measurements of the FIBAE 1, but I can't semm to find any. I was looking at getting them, but am concerned about a lack of highs.
I will be using them for general listening, but also on stage doing many kinds of music. Would the FIBAE 1 be up for that task?
And thank you for the creepy scary as hell Avatar. I thank you for my nightmares in advance.

Apr 4, 2018 at 11:40 PM Post #834 of 2,466
The subject of graphs has been discussed few pages back. We will release them in time, but not for now.

If you are afraid F1 will have too little highs go for FIBAE3 which has similar neutral output but more highs and more subbas. Also the question would be what will you be monitoring? If something like drums or guitars, probably FIBAE2 would be much better choice.

Apr 5, 2018 at 5:05 AM Post #836 of 2,466
The subject of graphs has been discussed few pages back. We will release them in time, but not for now.

If you are afraid F1 will have too little highs go for FIBAE3 which has similar neutral output but more highs and more subbas. Also the question would be what will you be monitoring? If something like drums or guitars, probably FIBAE2 would be much better choice.
Well what I'm really after is an IEM that's flat, but it's a little hard for me to see which comes closest. I know the Ei.3 are bass heavy, but the FIBAE 1 seems, according to the quality/quantity graph on your site, to be the most balanced. Is this correct or is there more to it.
My concern about highs were that the FIBAE 1 might not be very detailed, that's all. :)

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #837 of 2,466
Well what I'm really after is an IEM that's flat, but it's a little hard for me to see which comes closest. I know the Ei.3 are bass heavy, but the FIBAE 1 seems, according to the quality/quantity graph on your site, to be the most balanced. Is this correct or is there more to it.
My concern about highs were that the FIBAE 1 might not be very detailed, that's all. :)
I am putting the finishing touches to my FIBAE 3 review and if you really are into clarity and details the F3 would be the right choice. You will not get a lot of warmth from the upper bass or lower mid range. The warmth would be from the sub bass and lower range of the treble. The F3 is not a warm IEM. Clarity and transparency along with the details are all superb, not to mention a nice sub bass rumble. Some of the finest treble I have encountered.

Apr 5, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #838 of 2,466
I am putting the finishing touches to my FIBAE 3 review and if you really are into clarity and details the F3 would be the right choice. You will not get a lot of warmth from the upper bass or lower mid range. The warmth would be from the sub bass and lower range of the treble. The F3 is not a warm IEM. Clarity and transparency along with the details are all superb, not to mention a nice sub bass rumble. Some of the finest treble I have encountered.

I totally agree, the Fibae3 is a little jewel, it has great extension from the bass to the treble without being too warm, I used them lately with the Beat Audio Prima Donna and the result was great details, increase of transparency and definition, while if I used the Ares II, the earphone would increase the amount of bass.
It's a really fun earphone to play with!

Apr 5, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #839 of 2,466
Yeah, but also more expensive. Have you tried the F1?

Apr 5, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #840 of 2,466
Well, after one week with my FIBAE3, I'm at a loss somehow...
I don't know if my expectations are "false" but after reading a lot about the sound signature of the FIBAE3 being the brightest of all Custom Art CIEMS and everything about
and
I totally agree, the Fibae3 is a little jewel, it has great extension from the bass to the treble without being too warm,[...]
I'm asking myself if my ears are shot. :o2smile:
For me, coming from some hybrid IEMs and listening a lot with my Sony MDR-1A, the sound signature of the FIBAE3 is somewhat "veiled" and "muffled". The bass is gorgeous without questions! For me, this is plenty enough bass, which suprised me a lot. After reading a lot about BA-driven in ears, my biggest fear was that the bass would not match the sound of hybrid IEMs with their dynamic driver. Piotr also told me that the FIBAE3 has the least amount of bass compared to the other CIEMs. So the bass really is not a problem for me. I'm listening a lot to metal and especially shouted vocals and all the cymbals doesn't sound like I would expect them.
As you can see/read, I'm really struggeling... Maybe I should buy some Etymotic to see, what other sound signatures might sound like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back