CustomArt FIBAE Impressions Thread
Mar 8, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #751 of 2,466
Are silicone shells still a thing? It's been a while since I've seen a silicone design posted here!

I know that CA still offer it, but it seems for fibae at least acryllic is the more popular!

I'm torn. I would prefer silicone, but acryllic is much easier to take in and out.

Mar 8, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #752 of 2,466
Silicone is premium for comfort and isolation while moving around, but it won't last nearly as long as acrylic due to its inherent softness, so it's down to how and for what you use your CIEMs

Mar 8, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #753 of 2,466
Silicone is premium for comfort and isolation while moving around, but it won't last nearly as long as acrylic due to its inherent softness, so it's down to how and for what you use your CIEMs

It also depends on humidity and where you live. My FIBAE 2's got pretty cloudy without near-daily cleaning with soapy water.

Mar 8, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #754 of 2,466
It also depends on humidity and where you live. My FIBAE 2's got pretty cloudy without near-daily cleaning with soapy water.

Where I work get's damned hot (thanks to a rubbish aircon and lots of machines going) so I've had issues with silicone based ciems in the past. Doesn't stop me thinking about getting another though :frowning2: :p

Mar 8, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #755 of 2,466
cleaning with soapy water.
<cringes>
do not use anything water-based to clean silicone IEMs (like ever!). Also chemicals in contact with silicone can result in damaging of lacquering surface. It's possible that sodium or other sulfates in soap can quickly matte the surface. The only suitable cleaning agent for silicone IEMs is isopropanol (rubbing alcohol) >95% purity. Spray it on the IEM and wipe with paper towel, nothing more is needed. It removes ear wax, kills bacteria and drys the surface.

PS: Ethanol is not suitable for cleaning silicone either.

Mar 8, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #756 of 2,466
<cringes>
do not use anything water-based to clean silicone IEMs (like ever!). Also chemicals in contact with silicone can result in damaging of lacquering surface. It's possible that sodium or other sulfates in soap can quickly matte the surface. The only suitable cleaning agent for silicone IEMs is isopropanol (rubbing alcohol) >95% purity. Spray it on the IEM and wipe with paper towel, nothing more is needed. It removes ear wax, kills bacteria and drys the surface.

PS: Ethanol is not suitable for cleaning silicone either.

Thanks for the tip, @piotrus-g. I remembered getting this information from you, but it looks like I may have mixed you up with the other silicone IEM maker in Poland. :D There have been a few spots appearing on the F2's admittedly, but nothing too serious as of now. I'll let you know if I run into problems in the long run. See you in a couple weeks by the way. :wink:

Mar 9, 2018 at 3:49 AM Post #757 of 2,466
I agree with guys who wrote Effect Audio Eros II is the best cable to F3, if we want higher levels and experience not loose sound signature FIBAE 3. This cable add more body to mids, not dry, punch and kicks are stronger, highs have more airy.

Mar 9, 2018 at 8:00 AM Post #758 of 2,466
My first ever CIEM was a silicone Music One. I was feeling nostalgic, so I requested for my FIBAE 3 to be redone in silicone! It should be ready in a few weeks. I wonder if the sound will change at all compared to the acrylic shell, though...

<cringes>

I never had any issues with my Music One despite rarely maintaining it, but to be fair I was in California. Now that I'm in Singapore, I guess I'll have to be more careful with maintaining my FIBAE 3 when it arrives.

@piotrus-g, how often do you recommend isopropanol wipedowns? And how often should I run it through the hearing aid dryer, and at which power setting?

I agree with guys who wrote Effect Audio Eros II is the best cable to F3, if we want higher levels and experience not loose sound signature FIBAE 3. This cable add more body to mids, not dry, punch and kicks are stronger, highs have more airy.

I was planning to use Ares II with my FIBAE 3, but I'll drop by Effect Audio sometime to see if I should use Eros II instead!

Mar 9, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #759 of 2,466
Mar 9, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #760 of 2,466

Yep, Eros II is my go to cable for F3 :D

Mar 9, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #761 of 2,466
My first ever CIEM was a silicone Music One. I was feeling nostalgic, so I requested for my FIBAE 3 to be redone in silicone! It should be ready in a few weeks. I wonder if the sound will change at all compared to the acrylic shell, though...

I never had any issues with my Music One despite rarely maintaining it, but to be fair I was in California. Now that I'm in Singapore, I guess I'll have to be more careful with maintaining my FIBAE 3 when it arrives.

@piotrus-g, how often do you recommend isopropanol wipedowns? And how often should I run it through the hearing aid dryer, and at which power setting?

I was planning to use Ares II with my FIBAE 3, but I'll drop by Effect Audio sometime to see if I should use Eros II instead!

I just spoke to @piotrus-g yesterday and I’ll be shipping him both my FIBAE 2 and my H8.2 early next week. The former to have re-lacquered after my ill-advised practices caused imperfections on its surface, and the latter to be remade in silicone. I, too, would like to see what sonic differences exist, and I feel like I need a bit more variety in my collection. :D

Mar 9, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #762 of 2,466
I just spoke to @piotrus-g yesterday and I’ll be shipping him both my FIBAE 2 and my H8.2 early next week. The former to have re-lacquered after my ill-advised practices caused imperfections on its surface, and the latter to be remade in silicone. I, too, would like to see what sonic differences exist, and I feel like I need a bit more variety in my collection. :D

You'll probably find the silicone a little closed in when comparing to acryllic. It's a little like comparing closed and open back headphones (ymmv).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back