Custom Triple.fi 10 Pro & Custom Shure SE530
Sep 11, 2009 at 1:14 PM Post #556 of 616
Quote:

Originally Posted by mistertomlinson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, if money is a concern, before you consider the UE11, UniqueMelody is releasing their 4-driver custom this month and it will be HALF the price of the UE11. It has the same configuration: 2 woofers, mid driver and tweeter with 3-way crossover, just like the UE11. Sam has told me he personally believes their quad to be better than the UE11, telling me they use a better mid driver than UE uses in their quad. I am ordering a pair myself and feel perfectly comfortable doing so, despite UE having been in business for much longer. I don't regret the decision at all. Sam has suggested when paying $1,150 for the UE11, you're paying for the brand... he's also explained employee wages in China are significantly lower than in the US, so I trust UM IEMs are just as good, if not better.

My personal opinion: I've owned the Super.fi and Triple.fi and after upgrading to the latter, had no reason to keep the SF5s. I'm getting my TF10s remolded as well... Sell the Super.fis to pay for the TF10 remold. I wouldn't get the additional driver. I don't know about you, but I think the SQ is just right and am afraid adding a driver would change the sound I enjoy so much. I believe the improvement created by the custom shell will make them perfect.

Then, buy the UM quads. That'll give you your 4 driver fix and you can still go back to that TF10 sound. That's precisely what I'm doing.

tHANK You, there is still something puzzeling me

A quick visit on the Ultimate E site shows that their custom series have NOTHING to do with the ready iem series.
What I mean is that triple fi 10's have nothing to do with custom UE 10
check the specs on the site and see the totally different sound signitures

Why are people on this thread saying that triple fi 10's with additional mid driver is 95% of the UE 11's?
I am trying to find the solution for customs to use without amp

Sep 11, 2009 at 1:28 PM Post #557 of 616
TF10 uses the same exact drivers as the UE10, frequency response does not only depend on the drivers, but also the capacitors.

Sep 11, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #558 of 616
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott_Tarlow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
TF10 uses the same exact drivers as the UE10, frequency response does not only depend on the drivers, but also the capacitors.

Yes, that is very true. Filters, Capacitors, Crossover all can affect the response and performance of the monitor itself. Simply remolding a TF10 does not give you a UE10, neither does remold a SF5 PRO with a extra driver.

even when remolding my Se530, it's a totally different monster as now there is THAT much more room for air to move around the driver, meaning the drivers can work more efficiently, filters in the bores are going to be different from before. SO even remolding a Se530 doesn't give you a exact "Se530" Sound. Ha, remolding Se530's as now i shall have a Quad Driver consisted of the Se530 + the q-Jays =)

Sep 11, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #560 of 616
Quote:

Doesn't the UE10 also use a 3-way crossover? That would also explain the difference.

UE10 is Two-way, only the UE11 is three-way. The vast difference between the UE10 and the TF10 is due to the tuning, crossover, filters, capacitors and so on...and of cour te slightly different low drivers...

Sep 12, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #561 of 616
Quote:

Doesn't the UE10 also use a 3-way crossover? That would also explain the difference.

The UE11 has 4 drivers and a 3-way crossover. The UE10 is 3 drivers and a 3-way crossover.

Ultimate Ears Custom UE 10 Pro Features - Custom Store - Ultimate Ears Earphones Headphones Personal Monitors
Ultimate Ears Custom UE 11 Pro Features - Custom Store - Ultimate Ears Earphones Headphones Personal Monitors

(BTW, I got ear impressions done today.)

Sep 12, 2009 at 6:55 AM Post #562 of 616
Sep 12, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #563 of 616
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
UE10 is Two Way crossover

The link in my previous post says that the crossover is High, Mid, and Low. That would be a 3-way. I don't know first hand, simply quoting the link "UE10 features".

( I mailed my impressions priority mail this morning.
regular_smile .gif
)

Sep 12, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #564 of 616
Quote:

Originally Posted by barleyguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The link in my previous post says that the crossover is High, Mid, and Low. That would be a 3-way. I don't know first hand, simply quoting the link "UE10 features".

( I mailed my impressions priority mail this morning.
regular_smile .gif
)

It's a 2-Way crossover,

"directs the low-end frequencies to a dedicated speaker for bass, the mid-range frequencies to a speaker for the vocals and the high frequencies to a speaker dedicated for treble."

You see, they never say a "dedicated" driver for the mid-range. Why? because that would be lying, and infact the mid-range driver is the same as the low frequency driver!

If you look to the right, under the tab features. With the picture, below are listed

"Single Precision balanced armature for the high frequencies"

and then

"Dual precision balanced armature for the low and mid range frequencies"

It's a 2-Way crossover =), i also know this because Jerry insisted i compare the 10X3 to the ES3X as they are both Triple 3-Ways, i told him that UE would also be joining the comparison in the future. He stated "The 10X3 and ES3X would be comparing Apple to Apple, but there's no Triple driver, with 3-Way crossovers from UE. The UE10 would compared to my JH10, while the UE11 would be better to compare to the JH11"
biggrin.gif

Sep 15, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #565 of 616
Does Sam automatically digitize the impressions and keep them on file for later? I was thinking that my custom X10's won't probably be a permanent solution, and I may want to send him some Westone 3's or something in a year or so. Would he still have the impressions in his computer? Or can I ask him to keep them on file?

Also, is dual bore now the standard for triple drivers from UM, or do you have to request it? Powderhound has said that dual bores are essential to the clarity of the ES3X, so it seems that a dual bore triple driver would be much better than single bore.

Sep 15, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #566 of 616
Quote:

Originally Posted by barleyguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does Sam automatically digitize the impressions and keep them on file for later? I was thinking that my custom X10's won't probably be a permanent solution, and I may want to send him some Westone 3's or something in a year or so. Would he still have the impressions in his computer? Or can I ask him to keep them on file?

Also, is dual bore now the standard for triple drivers from UM, or do you have to request it? Powderhound has said that dual bores are essential to the clarity of the ES3X, so it seems that a dual bore triple driver would be much better than single bore.

If I'm not mistaken, they stick with the original number of bores. The Se530, for example, only has one. So, if you were getting that particular model remolded, you would have to special request the second bore. On the other hand, the Triple.fi 10 has two bores and will automatically receive 2 during remold.

Sep 15, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #567 of 616
Quote:

If I'm not mistaken, they stick with the original number of bores. The Se530, for example, only has one. So, if you were getting that particular model remolded, you would have to special request the second bore. On the other hand, the Triple.fi 10 has two bores and will automatically receive 2 during remold.

Dual bores are standard for all dual, triple, and quad from UM except the Mini as i believe it uses a TWFK driver so there's only one sound tube from the driver to begin with. UM doesn't keep them on file that long, as new impressions are probably more accurate vs a impression from a year ago.

Sep 15, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #569 of 616
Quote:

Originally Posted by lu-chen-chan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am seriously thinking of getting my UE TF10 remolded , but without additional driver , what do you think would be best cable for me?(i can´t stadn stock cable
biggrin.gif
)

Any custom cable will do, in terms of soundquality and build quality they are all very similar except for the DIY and Upgrades taht are out there offered by say Null Audio, Unique Melody, and Uncle Wilson

Sep 28, 2009 at 9:37 AM Post #570 of 616
this thread has stopped action again -.-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back