Custom Triple.fi 10 Pro & Custom Shure SE530
Aug 26, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #468 of 616
Quote:

Originally Posted by insomniax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The thing is if you go for the extra driver, there could be 2 possibilities.

1. They route the same signal meant for the original midrange driver to the new extra driver so that both midrange driver produces the same thing. In this case, more of the same, ie. louder. The workload of the drivers are not decreased. Theoretically no improvement, unless my idea of crossovers are screwed.

2. They resplit the frequency distribution to 4 drivers with one carrying low mids and the other carrying high mids, in which case they would need an aftermarket crossover circuit and that means either modding your originals(which have been properly tweaked) or using a new crossover and discarding your originals. Theoretically, improvement or degradation possible, depending on whether they are better at tweaking than the original manufacturers.

Not to spread fear or dissent, but consider the crossover carefully when you make your choices. Sometimes more is less. my 2 cents.

there was never a midrange driver for the TF10, the tweeter and woofers shared the mid-range, being that all the drivers in the beginning were doing work that was meant to be done by another driver. That is when the mid-range driver comes in, the mid driver now takes all the mids the tweeter and woofers had to do and take it all for itself, so not the high takes the highs, the mid takes the mids, and the dual woofers take the lows instead of high taking high and high-mid, and the woofers taking low-min and lows.

So yes, it will improve the SQ if done properly (which i'm sure they will) despite being a 3 way crossover and not a 4-way like you mentioned.

Aug 26, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #469 of 616
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberspyder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just letting you guys know...if you need BNIB triple.fi's for your reshell, look no further than.. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f10/ic...r-deal-441947/

:p

ahaha, tired of Logitech CS already?
wink.gif

Aug 26, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #470 of 616
I understand you. My concern is that when you mention the mid driver takes the mids etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is when the mid-range driver comes in, the mid driver now takes all the mids the tweeter and woofers had to do and take it all for itself, so not the high takes the highs, the mid takes the mids, and the dual woofers take the lows instead of high taking high and high-mid, and the woofers taking low-min and lows.

Taking the lows, mids, highs is not something the driver does by itself. I don't suppose the driver will automatically pick up the mids from the other drivers just by being there. There has to be adjustments to the crossover circuit to direct the midrange frequency to the midrange driver.

Point is, the frequency separation is done by the crossover circuit and not the mere presence of the drivers. I'm not exactly sure how the TF10 crossover circuit works but the general idea should be the same.

I'm just mentioning this because i thought it would be good for those people who are considering adding a driver to know that:

If UM only does the physical modifications by adding a mids driver and feeding it the original bass-mids signals/mids-treble signal(for eg.), it will not necessarily result in better performance or reduced load.

On the other hand, if UM tweaks the crossover circuit to redistribute the frequency between the original drivers and the added drivers, there should be SQ improvement.

I'm not sure if i'm coherent.
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 26, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #471 of 616
Quote:

Originally Posted by insomniax /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Taking the lows, mids, highs is not something the driver does by itself. I don't suppose the driver will automatically pick up the mids from the other drivers just by being there. There has to be adjustments to the crossover circuit to direct the midrange frequency to the midrange driver.

Point is, the frequency separation is done by the crossover circuit and not the mere presence of the drivers. I'm not exactly sure how the TF10 crossover circuit works but the general idea should be the same.

Actually this was exactly my concerns when I heard that UM can add additional drivers. Not to say I know my way around the technicalities around this subject, but it makes sense that there needs to be a circuit directing each specific freqs to each respective drivers, and for anyone to mod these things, I feel like the circuitry needs to be rearranged to do exactly that. (correct me if I'm wrong)

So does UM just add another or do the crossover actually get modded as well?

I wish Sam was on this board so he can make all things clear :p

Aug 26, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #472 of 616
I got my ear impressions done today. Now I'll get everything ready and ship things off tomorrow!
biggrin.gif
I gotta figure out how to fill out this order form. My box says Westone on it. Apparently thats where the hospital I went to ships out their impressions for hearing aids. I didn't know Westone made hearing aids.

Aug 26, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #473 of 616
Quote:

Originally Posted by rune-san /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got my ear impressions done today. Now I'll get everything ready and ship things off tomorrow!
biggrin.gif
I gotta figure out how to fill out this order form. My box says Westone on it. Apparently thats where the hospital I went to ships out their impressions for hearing aids. I didn't know Westone made hearing aids.

Yeah, for the last 50 years or so. They've made hearing aids longer than they've made earphones.

BTW, I have a pair of Klipsch X10's with the rubber boots falling apart. So I'm planning to have them remolded into customs at some point soon.

Aug 26, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #474 of 616
trying to find a place for impressions with decent pricing, how much did you have to pay rune-san?

Aug 26, 2009 at 11:45 PM Post #475 of 616
Call around. I paid $25 for my first impressions which didn't turn out perfect. So, I checked the yellow pages online and started calling everyone listed. On my third call I found a hearing aid distributor within walking distance of my house who offered to do it free of charge. I was there for maybe 10 minutes... and didn't have to pay a dime.

Aug 27, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #476 of 616
First audiologist place I called wanted $80. I eventually called the Audiology department in the Albany, GA hospital. Got a hold of this great woman who is board certified in audiology. They had never done "just impressions" before (they usually send them off to Westone for hearing aid applications). But she got back to me and said she could do it for roughly cost of materials and time, so it only cost me $20. I also got a free test to see the mobility of my ear drums. Apparently it's really good.

I say check with the hospitals before looking at solo offices.

Aug 27, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #477 of 616
So, before I mail these off let me make certain of something. The Address on the order form is to Guangdong Hotel. Is that where I'm supposed to send these? Is that where other's sent theres? This will be my first international mailing so I'm trying to make sure this all goes right.

Aug 27, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #479 of 616
Quote:

Originally Posted by rune-san /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, before I mail these off let me make certain of something. The Address on the order form is to Guangdong Hotel. Is that where I'm supposed to send these? Is that where other's sent theres? This will be my first international mailing so I'm trying to make sure this all goes right.

Yes, this is correct.

Aug 27, 2009 at 6:03 AM Post #480 of 616
Ok, lets clear some things up. When UM adds the MId driver, they split the mid frequencies from the signal and feed it to the mid driver. Meaning, that there is no more Mid frequencies that are being fed into the crossover split of the Woofers, and the tweeter. Meaning, the tweeter, and woofers no longer have to take on the mids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back