Custom Triple.fi 10 Pro & Custom Shure SE530
Aug 24, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #451 of 616
Quote:

Originally Posted by rune-san /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To those who have completed most of this process? How do you go about paying? I'd really rather not do a check or anything. I would much prefer paypal. When do you find out how much you have to pay and where to pay it?

I'm getting my ear impressions done on Wednesday so i'll be one step closer.

I talked with sam via MSN a few nights back, he said once they receive the impression + IEMs and form, they'll give you the paypal acc. through email.

But wouldn't hurt to email Sam

(still waiting for those reviews...!)

Aug 24, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #452 of 616
Just shipped out Se530 for Remold. Didn't need to take ear impressions or ship them any, they already have my ear molds
wink.gif

Aug 24, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #453 of 616
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However, what i am interested in combining two earphones. For example. they charge me 600rmb for remolding the SE530, but i want to add INTO the custom SE530 a pair of Phiaton PS200 as a dual mid, making the Se530's driver dual lows and a dedicated high.

I was also dreaming about combining the Jays q-Jays, UE700, and Phiaton PS200 to make my own JH13...but i wonder how much they would charge...

I've been dreaming (yes, dreaming) the same possibility as you. The day (if ever) this option became available would be the day I'd purchase the UM3X and merge it with the TF10pro.

I also wonder why re-shelling of the Etymotic ER-4 is not available. I would be enthused with such an option.

Aug 24, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #454 of 616
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been dreaming (yes, dreaming) the same possibility as you. The day (if ever) this option became available would be the day I'd purchase the UM3X and merge it with the TF10pro.

I also wonder why re-shelling of the Etymotic ER-4 is not available. I would be enthused with such an option.

I'm sure it's available, if you ask Sam i'm sure they are more than happy to do the re-shelling.

What i want to do is combine the SM2, using it's low driver the CI22955 as the low driver, ad another one of those on,use the the high driver as super high, then the Phiaton PS200 as a high and mid driver. I would LOVE that combo...

Aug 25, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #455 of 616
MaoDi, do you know what kind of quality the drivers are?
I'm sure they can range quite a bit in terms of cost, but do you think they might go with cheaper drivers for the sake of cost? Or does it even matter? haha.

Aug 25, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #456 of 616
Quote:

Originally Posted by irjoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MaoDi, do you know what kind of quality the drivers are?
I'm sure they can range quite a bit in terms of cost, but do you think they might go with cheaper drivers for the sake of cost? Or does it even matter? haha.

Don't even worry about that, There's only two manufacturers of Balanced Armature drivers...one's Knowles, one's Sonion. Knowles is what Unique Melody uses, it's also what JH Audio, Westone uses. Sonion is another company, which Klipsch get their custom drivers made at...so you choose? Does it really matter?
biggrin.gif

Aug 25, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #457 of 616
haha ok. I'm not worried about UE trying to rip their customers off, I think Sam's a great guy; but I asked just in case there would be any difference
wink.gif

I've been reading through the extensive 31 pages, and I'm wondering what 'crossover' means. It seems that by wiring in a new driver (obviously) it affects the sound, but could it ever have a negative effect? (not properly filtering out the low-mid-highs into each corresponding drivers, more muddy sounds/less clarity?)

Aug 25, 2009 at 4:30 AM Post #458 of 616
Quote:

Originally Posted by irjoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
haha ok. I'm not worried about UE trying to rip their customers off, I think Sam's a great guy; but I asked just in case there would be any difference
wink.gif

I've been reading through the extensive 31 pages, and I'm wondering what 'crossover' means. It seems that by wiring in a new driver (obviously) it affects the sound, but could it ever have a negative effect? (not properly filtering out the low-mid-highs into each corresponding drivers, more muddy sounds/less clarity?)

You meant UM
wink.gif
, but yes they use Knowles drivers.

Crossover is the technology that manufacturers use to split the frequency to specific drivers. I've never heard a negative effect, as i'm not no manufacturer is dumb enough to hook up a low driver to the high frequency line...

Aug 26, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #459 of 616
Ok, confirmed. Getting my Se530 molded, and also with my hand-drawn Shure logo on them...(HOPE THEY DON'T FORGET) Receive them at the same time as the Quad, so in expect them to be hear by Late September.

Aug 26, 2009 at 7:23 AM Post #461 of 616
Quote:

Originally Posted by haveblue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you say that the extra $160 for the extra driver is worth it compared to just a reshell?

That would have to be up to your thinking. Adding an driver meaning to the Tf10, UM2, or SF5 means that it will no longer have a 2-way crossover, but a three. Splitting the job to more drivers, and lowering the load on each driver so each is able to focus more on their part.

the result is that the whole frequency spectrum is improved, because of the added mid-range driver, the two woofers no longer need to worry about the mids and can do their full job of pounding out powerful lows, the tweeter to longer needs to worry about the high-mig frequencies, so it's able to produce the most crisp highs without rolling off or sounding muddy.

You're thoughts, but to me the 1000rmb or $150 USD or so is worth it, but that is up to the buyer to conclude
wink.gif

Aug 26, 2009 at 8:03 AM Post #462 of 616
is the crossover still there when UM reshells the triple.fi 10 pro? or do they take it out?

Aug 26, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #464 of 616
Quote:

Originally Posted by Timothy.Wong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is the crossover still there when UM reshells the triple.fi 10 pro? or do they take it out?

They keep everything in, when re-shell everything stays the same, except that not you are owning customs and not universals.

Aug 26, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #465 of 616
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That would have to be up to your thinking. Adding an driver meaning to the Tf10, UM2, or SF5 means that it will no longer have a 2-way crossover, but a three. Splitting the job to more drivers, and lowering the load on each driver so each is able to focus more on their part.

the result is that the whole frequency spectrum is improved, because of the added mid-range driver, the two woofers no longer need to worry about the mids and can do their full job of pounding out powerful lows, the tweeter to longer needs to worry about the high-mig frequencies, so it's able to produce the most crisp highs without rolling off or sounding muddy.

You're thoughts, but to me the 1000rmb or $150 USD or so is worth it, but that is up to the buyer to conclude
wink.gif

The thing is if you go for the extra driver, there could be 2 possibilities.

1. They route the same signal meant for the original midrange driver to the new extra driver so that both midrange driver produces the same thing. In this case, more of the same, ie. louder. The workload of the drivers are not decreased. Theoretically no improvement, unless my idea of crossovers are screwed.

2. They resplit the frequency distribution to 4 drivers with one carrying low mids and the other carrying high mids, in which case they would need an aftermarket crossover circuit and that means either modding your originals(which have been properly tweaked) or using a new crossover and discarding your originals. Theoretically, improvement or degradation possible, depending on whether they are better at tweaking than the original manufacturers.

Not to spread fear or dissent, but consider the crossover carefully when you make your choices. Sometimes more is less. my 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back