Custom Triple.fi 10 Pro & Custom Shure SE530
Jun 14, 2009 at 6:49 AM Post #122 of 616
Yep, Sam is the man! He is very very helpful with my orders. So Bonem, you only had the triplefi reshelled. You didn't add an additional driver?? So I guess your Custom is more like UE10. Do you feel that the resolution and texture also improved from the custom shells?

Mangofish, where are you in Taipei? I hope you talked to Sam directly instead of going through hifi. I hate that company. Terrible service and overcharging their customers
frown.gif

Jun 14, 2009 at 7:38 AM Post #123 of 616
Quote:

Originally Posted by Musiclova88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can someone send me the link for UM's custom makers also? I was going to use Null Audio's remolding service but since no one has seen or commented on what the finished results are, I might as well go with UM.

uniquemelody

Just be warned that not all the information is provided in English yet.

Jun 14, 2009 at 1:31 PM Post #124 of 616
Quote:

Originally Posted by lisztian420 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So Bonem, you only had the triplefi reshelled. You didn't add an additional driver?? So I guess your Custom is more like UE10. Do you feel that the resolution and texture also improved from the custom shells?

My Triple.fi have an additional mid driver, so the mids are more forward with new details in the singer's voice. Now overall texture and resolution did improve probably thanks to the fit.

Jun 14, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #125 of 616
Quote:

Originally Posted by lisztian420 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, Sam is the man! He is very very helpful with my orders. So Bonem, you only had the triplefi reshelled. You didn't add an additional driver?? So I guess your Custom is more like UE10. Do you feel that the resolution and texture also improved from the custom shells?

Mangofish, where are you in Taipei? I hope you talked to Sam directly instead of going through hifi. I hate that company. Terrible service and overcharging their customers
frown.gif

Yap, I am in Taipei
oops... I already ordered through hifi... I do think they overcharged. can you pm me Sam's contact? I might just check with him directly on my order cuz hifi told me it takes a MONTH to get it done... wow.

thanks

Jun 14, 2009 at 1:49 PM Post #126 of 616
Quote:

Originally Posted by bonem /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Triple.fi have an additional mid driver, so the mids are more forward with new details in the singer's voice. Now overall texture and resolution did improve probably thanks to the fit.

Hi Bonem, I have an additional driver added as well... in your opinion, what's the margin of improvements upon re-shelling, in what respect does it impress you the most? so curious...

thanks!

Jun 14, 2009 at 2:42 PM Post #127 of 616
Quote:

Originally Posted by mangofish /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Bonem, I have an additional driver added as well... in your opinion, what's the margin of improvements upon re-shelling, in what respect does it impress you the most? so curious...

thanks!

Hi mangofish,
I'd give the stock Triple.fi 10 Pro a score of 20%, and the new one a 96%. So for me there's a huge improvement.
I'm most impressed by the fact they sound good with the whole spectrum, so I can use them with all kinds of music. Listening to music also feels more "real" because I don't have to worry about losing the fit or switching tips to get a better sound. So I can focus my mind on enjoying the music.
I hope I answered your question

Jun 14, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #128 of 616
I also live in Taipei, now, and it isn't just IEMs: every piece of technology here, even local brands such as Asus and Acer, can be found cheaper in the States. Even with annual sales, even haggling whenever possible, even this and even that. By the end, even the best deals don't compare with the deals regularly available in the States, online or in stores. I've found only one weird exception: the Philips SHE9850.

Quote:

Hi mangofish,
I'd give the stock Triple.fi 10 Pro a score of 20%, and the new one a 96%.

That's one strangely precise number. And nearly five times better??

Jun 14, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #129 of 616
I would be interested to learn more about the design process that UM uses. Supposedly they test things to see what works and what doesn't, which is why they don't offer driver upgrades for just any IEM. But I still doubt that they spend as much time engineering things than say Westone, UE, JH, Livewires, etc. These other companies spend a lot of time on design, armature selection, tweaking each sound tube to be the proper length, etc. I wonder how that translates to real world results.

It makes me think of regular speaker design. Many people/companies can source a decent speaker enclosure, and drivers, design a passable Xover, throw them together and end up with a pretty good sounding speaker. What seperates them from the elite speaker designers is attention to detail. Someone like Danny Richie has extensive experience designing world class Xovers, pairing them with the perfect driver, and assembling excellent enclosures for them. He has certainly tried many things only to find that an improvement was impossible in this or that area. Hopefully that sort of thing is taking place at the custom IEM companies, which is what justifies their somewhat premium price compared to some lab in China.

EDIT Upon reading this, it seems hostile. I do not mean to imply anything bad about UM. I have talked to Sam and he is an extremely nice and knowledgable person. I have no experience with their products, I am simply wondering what resources they use for their work. I doubt we will ever know unless someone from there posts here one one of you who lives locally gets a tour.

Jun 14, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #130 of 616
Quote:

Originally Posted by project86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am simply wondering what resources they use for their work. I doubt we will ever know unless someone from there posts here one one of you who lives locally gets a tour.

I'd love them to tell my about their ressources, and how to make customs myself too. Really. Can you imagine how good it would be to be able to test different drivers and crossovers to find the perfect sound for you?

Jun 14, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #131 of 616
Well,... I am gettin mine next week! Will let you guys know how it is. As far as the UM upgrade driver goes,.. I am sure they have tested and study many well known IEMs before they can make their claims on their web page. I don't wanna get them in trouble... so let's just leave it at that
tongue.gif

Jun 15, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #132 of 616
Whoa, this thread really got my juices flowing!

Just a quick question. Is this for real? Are those custom tips really in Japanese Yen? How do I read the prices? as 320 yen? or as 32000 yen? Because 320 would be so awesome!

If the custom tips are awfully good, I'm gonna get my SE530 refit in a complete custom shell with some sexy artwork!

Jun 15, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #133 of 616
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonthouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a quick question. Is this for real? Are those custom tips really in Japanese Yen? How do I read the prices? as 320 yen? or as 32000 yen? Because 320 would be so awesome!

Keep dreaming. The numbers are in Chinese yuans (CNY, also often written RMB, for RenMiBi), the currency of Mainland China. They use, quite officially, the same symbol as for yens, which can be rather confusing.

Jun 15, 2009 at 5:46 AM Post #134 of 616
Quote:

Hi mangofish,
I'd give the stock Triple.fi 10 Pro a score of 20%, and the new one a 96%. So for me there's a huge improvement.
I'm most impressed by the fact they sound good with the whole spectrum, so I can use them with all kinds of music. Listening to music also feels more "real" because I don't have to worry about losing the fit or switching tips to get a better sound. So I can focus my mind on enjoying the music.
I hope I answered your question

Thanks! It sounds very promising. I can't wait for my pair to arrive...
are you using an amp with it?

Jun 15, 2009 at 11:07 AM Post #135 of 616
Quote:

Originally Posted by mangofish /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks! It sounds very promising. I can't wait for my pair to arrive...
are you using an amp with it?

You're welcome.
No amp, just my A826 Walkman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back