Custom IEM Review: Hidition NT-6 Pro – Clear & Precise Fun
Sep 5, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #138 of 527
I have a question for you guys. I thought the NT6 and NT6 Pro were fairly similar in architecture but the site says the pro have 6 full range speakers while the NT6 have 6 balanced armature drivers. Is that a mistake?

Hey Mimouille, I went with the NT6 Pro because it was a 5 way design like the SE5 vs. the 4 way design of the vanilla NT6. The advantage the SE5 has over the NT6 Pro is its 5 bores vs. the NT6 Pros 3 bores. However, the NT6 Pro has the advantage of 6 vs. the SE5's 5 BAs. Hidition described it to me as:

Hidition says:

"Configuration of NT6-pro is 1(sub-bass)/2(low)/1(mid)/1(high-mid)/1(high).
 bore is  divided into each  high(single unit) // mid + high-mid(double unit) // sub-bass + low(single + double unit)"

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #139 of 527
Mimouille, I don't think you can go wrong with either, but I think the NT6 Pro has the architectural advantage. I think only the SE5 and NT6 Pro have a 5 way configuration unless someone else has jumped into the scene recently. Hopefully this means that you are close to pulling the trigger on a Hidition.

Sep 6, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #140 of 527
  Hi did you mean 0.01mm larger than the average of 0.78mm? Because 0.1mm would mean that the hidition has a socket size of 0.88mm! xP

Yes, thanks for the correction!

Mimouille, I don't think you can go wrong with either, but I think the NT6 Pro has the architectural advantage. I think only the SE5 and NT6 Pro have a 5 way configuration unless someone else has jumped into the scene recently. Hopefully this means that you are close to pulling the trigger on a Hidition.

Alien Ears has a 5-way also, but I don't know anyone that has heard it.  I don't think the NT-6 pro and SE5 can really be compared directly from which implementation method is superior because the sound sign is quite different.

Sep 6, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #141 of 527

Yes, thanks for the correction!

Alien Ears has a 5-way also, but I don't know anyone that has heard it.  I don't think the NT-6 pro and SE5 can really be compared directly from which implementation method is superior because the sound sign is quite different.

Hey average_joe, do you think you could elaborate on the whole stretching the pins of a typical jh/westone into the nt pro. I'm about to purchase DHC fusion iem cables, and am still very worried about this pin/socket stretching. Elaborate as in, is the stretching neglible, alot, difficult to do, tight fit, etc. thanks so much

Sep 7, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #144 of 527
  Hey average_joe, do you think you could elaborate on the whole stretching the pins of a typical jh/westone into the nt pro. I'm about to purchase DHC fusion iem cables, and am still very worried about this pin/socket stretching. Elaborate as in, is the stretching neglible, alot, difficult to do, tight fit, etc. thanks so much

It really isn't an issue.  If the pins are larger than the sockets, they will stretch the sockets so the pins of the stock cable won't be as tight.  If it is the other way around, ever so slightly flattening the pins will make they stay put in any socket that is a bit too big.

Oct 17, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #145 of 527
So, average joe's review of the nt-6 pro is EXACTLY how i would describe my pfe-232 in comparison to my jh16's. To me that is pretty incredible in regards to the phonak's performance. In many regards i hold it in higher regard to my jh16's but not all.

I think the largest area's that the nt-6 pro sounds similar to my pfe is the bass boost, being more subtle than the jh16, but with great speed and texture with the ability to adjust to the track vs being always on with the jh16s.

The midrange of the 232s might be a bit more recessed than the nt-6 pro, but the pfe's have less mid bass, increasing clarity and allowing more details to filter in. I think this also adds to the pfe's being more bright and a bit more thin (but not too thin) than the jh16s.

Treble is brighter on the pfe232, but is still very smooth and has a little less sibilance than the jh16. With a brighter treble, i also feel that there are a few more details revealed with the pfe232 than the jh16.

Jh16's in my mind are also more intimate and close than the pfe's, another parallel to nt-6 pro. This can lead the jh16's to reveal more details in some aspects, but the pfe's also have better dynamics and aren't quite as in your face as the jh16s. By this i mean that jh16's present everything at a similar, loud volume compared to the pfe's which allow for more difference in volume between instruments.

Again, havent heard the nt-6 pro's but am very suprised in how average joe described them and their similarities to the nt-6 pro. Makes me want to hear them, and also increases how impressed i am with my pfe's. Again, this is interpretation from what i am hearing and based on my ability to accurately imagine the description of the nt-6 pro.

Oct 18, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #146 of 527
Thanks for chiming in kernel8888 and interesting thoughts.  Did you buy your JH16 direct from JHA?  How old is it and do you keep it in a sealed case with dissicant, or use a dehumidifier?  What source are you using?  The reason I am asking is because I have spent a significant amount of time with the PFE 232 and have a different opinion.  Take my overall ratings from this chart (select the "Show other types of headphones for reference" checkbox and hit the search button) for example, where the SM64 scores a 60.7, the 232 a 60.8, the JH16 a 75.9, and the NT-6 pro a 96.6.  Technically, I find there are very different levels of performance.  From a sound signature standpoint, the 232 is much more mid-recessed than the NT-6 pro and imaging and presentation size are not too close.  The JH16 vs. the 232 on the other hand is different, as my JH16 has a much wider presentation, but the 232 has a superior depth of presentation.  The presentation depth issue of the JH16 leads to poor instrument placement and can be perceived as lower levels of detail, even though the JH16 has great instrument detail.

The bottom line is it seems like you prefer the 232 and it performs well for you, which is great.  To me, the NT-6 pro is a large step up, but so is something like the K3003.

Dec 7, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #148 of 527
  Going for DX100!
Seems the best combination for NT6Pro.
Hope they will have a very smooth highs.

Out of curiosity, did you end up buying a NT6 Pro? If so, I would love to hear your thoughts.

Dec 7, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #149 of 527
  Out of curiosity, did you end up buying a NT6 Pro? If so, I would love to hear your thoughts.

Yes. I bought it last summer, and then i quitted from Hifi because NT6Pro is enough. 
The only two things i will complain about NT6Pro might be its highs, which is not smooth enough, and the over bright tone might be wired for some songs.
That's the reason why i came back to headfi and tried to buy DX100!

Dec 7, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #150 of 527

Yes. I bought it last summer, and then i quitted from Hifi because NT6Pro is enough. 
The only two things i will complain about NT6Pro might be its highs, which is not smooth enough, and the over bright tone might be wired for some songs.
That's the reason why i came back to headfi and tried to buy DX100!

Its a great CIEM, but it can be fatiguing depending on what you listen to it through. What are you listening to it with now?

It seems to have slam throughout the spectrum, but that extra energies in the highs are what get me in long listening sessions. I would be interested to see what your thoughts are paired with the DX100 and if you feel it smooths things out. I have been listening through the DX50 and find that it is a lot smoother than my C3/BH2 setup. The DX50 does sound better adding back the BH2, but does so at the cost of bringing back a small bit of the fatigue.

I think averagejoe's favorite pairing was the DX100/Portaphile 627 combo. Were you considering going all the way with the amp too?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back