Custom IEM Isolation/Seal Question
Jan 23, 2012 at 5:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

wh85

New Head-Fier
Hi, i recently got a custom IEM, JH13s. I came from a Westone 4 and being new to custom iems, i'm not sure about the fit, seal and isolation my jh13s provide.

I used my westone 4 with olives, so usually i can barely hear ambient noises and people talking around me, even without music playing.

However, when i tried my jh13s, it turns out different from what i expected. The fit is great, but i can still hear noises/sounds of my surroundings. As i stay in Asia, shipping it back to them will take a long time plus i'm not sure about the issue myself, so figured i would check here. Couldn't find any threads specifically that have answers i'm looking for...

Couple of questions for those with custom iems, Do you get better isolation with universals+foamies? Do you hear ambient sound a whole lot with ur custom iems, eg, like the tv playing in another room?

How is it that the fit is great, no pressure, not feeling pain not comfort issues but the isolation feels lacklustre compared to universals with foam tips?

Appreciate all your feedback, insight and comments. Thanks :)

Jan 23, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #3 of 14
Try this to see if you do have a good seal after all :-

http://www.sensaphonics.com/?page_id=833

Cheers

Jan 23, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #4 of 14
have tried the audio test on both my w4 and jh13s... both sounds the same..

i guess the customs just doesn't give as much isolation as i would like too.. And seal doesn't break when i walk around

Jan 25, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #11 of 14
I also find that my customs isolate better than any universal + foam tips.

Jan 26, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #12 of 14
I am waiting for a remake on my right ear mold, but my tests with recently received custom molds for my Etymotic hf3 showed that isolation could be on par with -- but did not exceed -- the Shure olives on the same hf3.

With left ear mold fitting well and while using my finger to push in my slightly off right mold to get an acceptable seal, I sat listening to a white noise app on my phone. I logged the volume setting at which I could hear the noise. Then switched to Olives. The volume level was the same, maybe even one extra click before I could hear the noise.

Winner = olives, but it was pretty close.

Jan 30, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #14 of 14
I may be off on a few things here, but this is my general understanding of isoaltion: generally, isolation is better with foamies because they literally can absorb sound and the compactness of materials is variable (EG, the foam is more compact here then there).  So in order for sound to penatrate it, it has to be a special sound with a number of frequencies that can resonate at the frequency of the foam at x, y, z thickness changes...  Then do that through it all of the foam to go through the ear canal.  REmember, there is also a lot of foam.  However, with silicone, the compactness is almost the same throughout, even further, the silicone will be thinner than the foam as well.  It makes it easier for the sound to penetrate the silicone. So with that said, it makes perfect sense that foam will isolate a lot better than silicone. 

Also, customs typically have a 26 dB isolation rating.  Some deeper inserting ones (some companies call these the musicians' style/build if they offer them; EG, they differentiate that way) can do more.  Now, Etymotic's triple flanges can do up to 26 dB, which is a huge feat.  But they also claim that foams do so much better being able to hit upwards of 36-42 dB.  Depth insertion, material, along with other factors (like what the noise you're isolating actually is) all play crucial roles in isolation. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back