Custom ES-1 about to find its new home
Mar 10, 2007 at 4:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

morphsci

Can Jam '10 Lead Organizer
Here's a couple of teaser pics that Mikhail sent me of my about to be shipped ES-1.

pic1.jpg

Front image. The tube adapters are not in their final form.

pic2.jpg

PSU with the mighty Plitron.

I will take a boatload of photos when it arrives, so stay tuned.

Mar 10, 2007 at 5:28 AM Post #3 of 55
It is a beauty!

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphsci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's a couple of teaser pics that Mikhail sent me of my about to be shipped ES-1.

pic1.jpg

Front image. The tube adapters are not in their final form.

pic2.jpg

PSU with the mighty Plitron.

I will take a boatload of photos when it arrives, so stay tuned.

Mar 10, 2007 at 5:49 AM Post #7 of 55
oh snap.

that is beautiful. from all of the other pics i've seen of it it's been the ugly duckling of the Singlepower line. but wow, that's just amazing. i need to go look at more ES-1 pics and see exactly what about yours is different- is it less glossy normally?

Mar 10, 2007 at 7:43 AM Post #9 of 55
Welcome to the club morphsci and congrats. Your O2 and HE60s are going to sing as never before. Can you tell us about what options you chose as well as any other non standard mods? Also, what tubes you are gettting for the amp?

Mar 10, 2007 at 8:40 AM Post #10 of 55
Congrats on the beautiful new amp! Cant wait for your impressions. Its one of the few offereings from Mikhail I have not heard(ES-1) and according to public opinion probably his best work. Enjoy!

Mar 10, 2007 at 3:25 PM Post #11 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Awesome!

What are you planning to connect to the ES1.

Right now my O2 and HE-60 and eventually an HE-90. With a modded Eastsound E5 as source and a transporter in the very near future.

Quote:

Originally Posted by guzziguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So it's your fault that my Platinum Extreme is not yet ready.
mad.gif

The least you can do to make it up is to come with it to the International meet so I can listen to and otherwise admire it!
tongue.gif

Wow, I hope not since this was ordered back in November! I wish I could make the national meet, however, late April is about the worst time for me since it is right before final exams and I need to be around since as most people know, that's when the excrement hits the fan.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ej82m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My guess is for the HE60 and OII.
biggrin.gif

Yes and Yes

Quote:

Originally Posted by surfboardz26 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow, congrats. Whats those wires coming from the tubes do?

Actually, I can't remember at the moment. Perhaps Mikhail or the Singlepower oracle (SACD Lover) can chime in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Afrikane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to the club morphsci and congrats. Your O2 and HE60s are going to sing as never before. Can you tell us about what options you chose as well as any other non standard mods? Also, what tubes you are gettting for the amp?

1). Power Transformers Plitron Custom Toroidal
2). Cardas Silver Solder surcharge
3). Cardas Audio Wiring
4). Audio Note Silver Foil in oil coupling capacitors
5). 4 Channel GoldPoint Attenuator
6). Solen Plate Voltage Input Capacitor
7). Black Gate Power Capacitors Stage I
8). Black Gate Cathode bypass capacitors ES
9). Dual Umbilical cord upgrade for maximum separation
10). Quad Regulators for maximum separation
11). Additional jack for Senn HE-60
12). 3 selectable inputs (2 XLR, 1 RCA) , 1 loop out (RCA), 2 preamp outputs (1 XLR, 1 RCA)
13). Digital volume control with remote

1 - 10 are standard mods, the others are to increase its utility to me as a preamp

For both the O2 and HE-60:

4x 3D21W + adapters for output tubes

For O2
2x 6BL7GT for center stage
2x 12AZ7 for driver tubes

For HE-60
2x 6SN7W for center stage
2x 6SN7W or 2x 2C51 + adapters for driver tubes

Thanks to everyone for the congratulations. It has been a long wait but it should be worth it

Mar 10, 2007 at 3:59 PM Post #12 of 55
Singlepower oracle ....
icon10.gif

The wire is connected to the cap you see at the top and this cap is called a plate cap.

Some tubes, particularly those used as radio frequency (RF) power amplifiers, had the plate or anode lead protrude through the envelope. In both cases this allowed the tube's output circuitry to be isolated from the input (grid) circuit more effectively. In the case of the tubes with the plate brought out to a cap, this also allowed the plate to run at higher voltage.

The wired tube you see in the ES-1 is an example of the latter .... a tube with the plate protruding through the glass envelope. So, this tube has the advantage of both isolating the input/ output circuitry and allowing the use of higher voltages.

Dont stick your finger on there!
basshead.gif

Mar 10, 2007 at 4:53 PM Post #14 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh snap.

that is beautiful. from all of the other pics i've seen of it it's been the ugly duckling of the Singlepower line. but wow, that's just amazing. i need to go look at more ES-1 pics and see exactly what about yours is different- is it less glossy normally?

The visible differences are the front panel display and the HE60 jack.

Morphsci, Congratulations! You're about to receive a truly great electrostatic amp. The ES1 may be Mikhail's best work to date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back