Custom ES-1 about to find its new home
Mar 24, 2007 at 2:26 PM Post #31 of 55
Morphsci...know how frustrating it is. Been there myself. Actually came close to cancelling my order, but I'm oh so glad I didn't. His amps are truly on another level and well worth the wait. In my case, I just didn't have a true grasp on all the issues Mikhail has to deal with in order to provide these custom pieces. It's truly amazing he's able to keep up with it all. I'm a guy who sometimes has a short fuse and VERY little patience. I'm detail oriented and very demanding when it comes to schedules and deadlines. Actually, I'd have to say that I'm an amp builders worst nightmare yet after it's all said and done, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. My only alteration would be to hold the course and remain patient in spite of it all. Nothing like feeling like a horses arse when the dust settles.

Hang in there...you'll be glad you did. Of that I'm certain. She's a beauty for sure.

Mar 24, 2007 at 2:34 PM Post #32 of 55
Eh like Billy said, you know what you're getting into with singlepower. My custom amp has been "finished" since mid January but I have no idea when its going to come. I guess the flipside is that the wait has given me time to save up and poor more money into it to make it really one of a kind.
biggrin.gif

Mar 24, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #33 of 55
“Maybe we need to start an XXX Owners support group.”

I waited a full year for the Aristaeus after being told 2 months delivery.

IT WAS WORTH THE WAIT.

Good Luck Dude. We know it will come through and be FanF’ntastic. Waiting builds character.

I’m looking forward to some breath taking photos and reviews.

Mitch

Mar 24, 2007 at 5:04 PM Post #34 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver /img/forum/go_quote.gif

blink.gif

Mar 24, 2007 at 6:31 PM Post #36 of 55
Boy you guys are rookies in the waiting game,I aproached Mikhail about building me a electrostatic amp,Mikhail built about 4 different versions before getting the version we know as the ES-1.Constantly improving the amp.
Total time from start to finish before the final amp was sitting on my shelf, 3 years but well worth the wait & I did get to try some prototypes to evaluate while waiting.

Mar 24, 2007 at 6:48 PM Post #37 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by bozebuttons /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Boy you guys are rookies in the waiting game,I aproached Mikhail about building me a electrostatic amp,Mikhail built about 4 different versions before getting the version we know as the ES-1.Constantly improving the amp.
Total time from start to finish before the final amp was sitting on my shelf, 3 years but well worth the wait & I did get to try some prototypes to evaluate while waiting.

Thats what I call a major waiting game! Nice to see that it turned out OK in the end...
lambda.gif

Mar 24, 2007 at 7:39 PM Post #38 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by bozebuttons /img/forum/go_quote.gif

O.K. I'll shut-up now <Embarrassed Smiley>

Mar 24, 2007 at 8:24 PM Post #40 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by bdh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You've been around since 2001. Surely you know SP by now. The 'finish' date for my ES-1 was quoated to be end of Jan. I don't expect it for another few months. My Extreme was 'done' last week. I don't expect it for another month. They might be honest, that is everything but quoated 'finished' dates. I don't know why they do that. Are they afraid we'll take our business elsewhere if we knew what the true shipping date was going to be?

I watched as Extremes were delivered quickly in January and early February. Even when people sent them back in for upgrades, the turnaround was very quick. I figured that Mikhail had recently hired enough people and trained them so that new amps were being built and shipped on a regular scheduled. So I decided to send in my PPX3 Slam to be upgraded and even waited for a window to open before shipping it in.

I don't think that Mikhail purposely lies when it comes to shipping dates. I think that he really believes those optomistic dates. He does worry about losing customers if he quotes a date that is too long. He doesn't realize that he risks losing more business by missing promised dates than by quoting realistic dates up front.

I have no idea how something can be "done", but then not shipped for weeks. If it's done, it's ready to ship and if it's not ready to ship, then it's not done. I'll ask Mikhail at the International what he means by "done" and what is left to do to make an amp ready to ship.

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphsci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes I do know, but it is cathartic to vent a little. I'm not upset about waiting, waiting I can deal with, however missed delivery dates are very frustrating, especially when they are missed with no follow-up communication.

Maybe we need to start a Singlepower Owners support group. We could run it like an addiction group. "Hi. My name is Jim. Ive been a Singlepower customer for ...."
icon10.gif

I have no doubt that it will sound superb, I'd simply like the opportunity to actually hear it in my lifetime. I may have to try out the coffee warming idea. I do have an old Headroom coffee mug around here somewhere ...

I'll join. I made a big mistake though. Because turnaround time had been so reasonable I shipped in my favorite amp to be upgraded. That means that I've been without my favorite the entire period. I should have just bought a new amp and sold the PPX3 Slam when the Extreme arrived. That way, I would not have been without my favorite amp. Doh! I won't make that mistake again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I waited a full year for the Aristaeus after being told 2 months delivery.

IT WAS WORTH THE WAIT.

Good Luck Dude. We know it will come through and be FanF’ntastic. Waiting builds character.

I’m looking forward to some breath taking photos and reviews.

Mitch

I'm waiting on an amp from Headamp too. I'm hoping to have it in time for time for the International meet. I'll call on Monday to see if there is a chance of that.

I had hoped to have the SP amp by then, but have no realistic hope of that anymore. There are too many people in front of me waiting for there SP amps and I don't want to be moved ahead of anybody. Well worst case is I have no equipment for the International and that I'll just have to listen to everybody else's equipment!
tongue.gif

Mar 25, 2007 at 11:32 AM Post #41 of 55
I am in exactly the same boat as guzziguy, I sent my ES-1 in for some upgrades and rewiring job on the HE90 jack. I guess I should expect it back around December. It is hard to be angry with Mikhail when his amps sound so brilliant. Thank goodness for rig number 2.

Mar 25, 2007 at 1:34 PM Post #42 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Afrikane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am in exactly the same boat as guzziguy, I sent my ES-1 in for some upgrades and rewiring job on the HE90 jack. I guess I should expect it back around December. It is hard to be angry with Mikhail when his amps sound so brilliant. Thank goodness for rig number 2.

Things should be better for me on Monday as I should at least have access to my dynamic phones again. I'm not angry with Mikhail, I was just a little frustrated. I was also able to listen via speakers yesterday, so that also helped.
lambda.gif

Mar 25, 2007 at 2:01 PM Post #43 of 55
Quote:

December?! Do upgrades usually take longer than full builds (non-custom orders)?

Mar 25, 2007 at 2:33 PM Post #44 of 55
Success is a double-edged blade and in a twisted way the amp manufacturers are a victim of their own success. It must be really difficult to deal with the technical and business aspects of amp building, throw in some demand for the product and then upgrades. Just keeping track of all the units is a full time job. There are fatal risks in expanding too rapidly and equally fatal risks in not expanding when needed.

Mikhail can’t do every amp and every response himself but you need qualified and experienced people to help you. I’m sure no one works as hard as Mikhail, Justin, Ray Samuels etc.

I waited the year for the Aristaeus. It seemed Justin wouldn’t ship it until it was Finished and up to his Standards. It is the most perfect thing I’ve ever bought. It was worth the wait.

We are very fortunate at this time to have the selection and quality of amps available. I hope the amp manufacturers bring in the help as needed and expand in a rational way that ensures long term viability and success.

I didn’t view your comments as complaining, just some frustration and a little venting to a group of people who would understand.

Mitch

Mar 25, 2007 at 10:43 PM Post #45 of 55
Quote:

I'm not angry with Mikhail or Single Power either. I'm angry with myself. I could have arranged the deal so that rather than convert my PPX3 Slam, I could have traded it in. Then I wouldn't have shipped my Slam until the new amp was boxed and ready to be shipped. Or I could have just bought an Extreme and sold the PPX3 Slam when the Extreme arrived and I was happy with it. So it's really my fault that I'm without a nice tube amp at the moment. I'll know better next time.

Rig #2 for me is not anywhere near the same level as rig #1. Still it's better than having no rig 2!
tongue.gif

Anyway, I do expect the amp to sound brilliant after the BG caps burn in. I'll get over the wait. I think that you'll get your amp back before December. I think that one thing holding up a lot is that Mikhail is probably working hard to finish up some special amps in time for the International meet.

Good luck with your waits. I hope both you and morphsci get your amps soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back