Custom earcup question?
Sep 4, 2011 at 6:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Cappuccino

Head-Fier
Hey ya'll. This might be a stupid question, but where do you get slip-on housings? Do you make 'em yourself or do you buy them somewhere? If it helps, it'd be for the SR60i.

Sep 4, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #2 of 8
Check my sig, a little alteration could work. I've tried it, but didn't enjoy it.

You can't get any aftermarket cups for Grado. Only grado cups.

Anything less wouldn't work very well.

Go on amazon and either order the:

S-cush - "comfies" I like these best.
L-cush - small "bowl"s I also like these.
G-cush - large around ear bowls. These are for people who use their grados only at home
HD414 pads - People recommend these and I got them. Horrid pads. Scratchy, collects hair and smells. Comfies are much smoother

I enjoy the comfies, the bowls are nice and the G-cushs are worth the money. HD414 pads are garbage.

Sep 4, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #3 of 8
Woops! So sorry, but that's not what I meant! I meant like the actual housings, like you see ones made of wood and stuff. 

Sep 4, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #4 of 8
Sep 4, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
Woops! So sorry, but that's not what I meant! I meant like the actual housings, like you see ones made of wood and stuff. 

Cups are more aesthetics then anything else. On a Grado, the do add more depth of the sound and a tab bit of soundstage. This is because the sound goes as far as the cups are past your ears. The longer the cups, the wider the soundstage. The bass is a little changed, but only in the "depth" as in narrow movements of the bass. But this is all in very small steps.

I see it's not worth it to order them unless you just want to make your Grado prettier. Grados are like our pets. But for better sound, it's not a good option. If your searching to up your SQ, buy a better Grado. If you just want the cups "just because" go for it, you'll love it.

I didn't because they make them no longer portable to me. Since I use my Grado as a portable mostly, that's a huge factor.

Sep 4, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #6 of 8
^ allow me to disagree. wood cups makes a lot of difference, now is up to the listener to decide if it is for good or bad. the grado sound is still there, but you can play with the ammounts of bass (most common) you can also improve clarity, how bright or dark you want the sound to be... etc etc.

In my case I have 3 grados with different housings and only in one case I regreted the changes (grado SR80, ended up with way too much bass). the others two, I love them.

for me the sound alone worth it. plus you gte to have a unique piece of art made by yourself. 

Sep 4, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
^ allow me to disagree. wood cups makes a lot of difference, now is up to the listener to decide if it is for good or bad. the grado sound is still there, but you can play with the ammounts of bass (most common) you can also improve clarity, how bright or dark you want the sound to be... etc etc.

In my case I have 3 grados with different housings and only in one case I regreted the changes (grado SR80, ended up with way too much bass). the others two, I love them.

for me the sound alone worth it. plus you gte to have a unique piece of art made by yourself. 

Hmm

Well I did do it with my SR80i and my own cups

Maybe it'll be different if I ever get a better Grado. I'm cheap so that will never happen.

I did both the wood and aluminum with my own designs. Lathe and all. In short I saw better clarity for the aluminum and more bass with the wood. But nothing I couldn't handle. Did you swap pads with the Grado's too? Pad changes do big results also.

I see more purpose in earpads than the cups.

Sep 4, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #8 of 8
oh I agree that earpads rolling gives you (maybe) more changes and is easier. but what if you want more of it?

also there is the different kind of woods thing. Ive only tried two and the cocobolo is like a bass boost, like I could never get neither with the basshead mod (tape in L cush) I dont think you need to go to the higher grados, my other mods where with SR60, this is the cocobolo and I love it, it has no other mod than cups and L cush. and the MS 1 was in aluminium, soon to be in wood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back