Custom Cans Impressions Thread.
Oct 27, 2021 at 7:46 AM Post #91 of 246
That's actually pretty much what I'd like to hear, acknowledging the creator bias :) When you say "change" in the bass, are we looking at slight lift in db in low-mid bass, or purely a texture change?

Either way, you can probably expect an order from me in a few weeks :)

Oct 28, 2021 at 12:02 AM Post #92 of 246
A current system photograph - with excellent sounding 🎼 and looking 👀 cables from Custom Cans UK. [PS: the cnc-backweight modified HD-600 is on a break…]
84395C00-797A-41F6-B848-AE23F2CA536E.jpeg

Nov 10, 2021 at 12:59 AM Post #94 of 246
A quick thank you & recommendation for the replacement HD800 cable supplied to me by Custom Cans. Superb build quality, sound & customer service.

When used with my Trilogy 933, there is a noticeable SQ Improvement over the original Sennheiser cable. :)

Nov 10, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #95 of 246
Hello everyone! I am thinking about upgrading from my Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro to DT-1990 Pro and I like the idea of getting Custom Cans modded version more and more, so I am looking for any personal experience with the modded DT-1990. :) One thing I am a bit scared of is, that I read somewhere that modding DT-1990 for balanced input brings out some harshness in the highs. Now I don't mind brighter sound but also I'm not sure DT-1990 getting even brighter then they are would be something I'd really like. :D If that was the case, is the 8K peak passive filter something to tackle that?
Thanks!

Nov 10, 2021 at 11:10 PM Post #96 of 246
Running a headphone in balanced should simply increase the level of power output available to the cans (unless you're running sufficiently long cable runs that massive interference would be an issue). I'm told CustomCan's 8K filter does indeed handle it well if you're so interested it, although it will also alter other parts of the FR in minor ways.

I'll give you some input on my balanced DT-1990 once they arrive! That might be a little while though - they were shipped by CustomCans a week ago, but since then have spent seven days just sitting in a ParcelForce sorting facility in the UK :disappointed_relieved:

Nov 17, 2021 at 5:06 AM Post #97 of 246
Hello everyone! I am thinking about upgrading from my Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro to DT-1990 Pro and I like the idea of getting Custom Cans modded version more and more, so I am looking for any personal experience with the modded DT-1990. :) One thing I am a bit scared of is, that I read somewhere that modding DT-1990 for balanced input brings out some harshness in the highs. Now I don't mind brighter sound but also I'm not sure DT-1990 getting even brighter then they are would be something I'd really like. :D If that was the case, is the 8K peak passive filter something to tackle that?
Thanks!

Personal opinion, choosing balanced or single ended is more appropriate based on your source. Not the same level of investment goes into the outputs on amps that have both. My old Schiit Jotunheim had a better balanced output than single ended, so I always used balanced. My current amp (Burson Composer 3 Reference) only has single ended. But you can be sure it sounds fantastic.

So think about your source. That's what is more likely to cause any harshness. Also, you can have the 1990 balanced but use a single ended adapter. Then you're fairly future proof in regards to what amp you're using in the future.

Nov 17, 2021 at 8:20 AM Post #98 of 246
Thanks!
I've owned both modded by @jfunk and they both sound really good. Between the two, the DT-1990 Pros are my favorites. If you are concerned about the highs, he has a version where he can help you with that. I personally don't have an issue with it and I'm treble sensitive. I use my JFunk'ed 1990 balanced cans for mixing/mastering pro audio. With any headphone, you want what it CAN do versus what is sounds like; so, I run a customized, calibrated version of SonarWorks, (I had to send-off my 1990's with upgraded pads and J's cable) and GoodHertz's CanOpener, (to match the crossfeed of speakers set at the 60 degree listening triangle). Astounding results every time!

Nov 27, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #99 of 246
A quick thank you from me too, for the HD800s cable I’ve received yesterday….well before the expected date. In fact it probably took just a a bit more than a week, great service.
I’m not a cable believer, so won’t comment on sound compared to the stock cable, but Jason’s cable (I hope I got he name right!) is so much easier to use, supple, shorter and easier to use, really well made. Thank you!

Jan 3, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #101 of 246
If i may chip in , and give my opinion re Custom Cans . I do a lot of "remastering" , by that i mean i own /admin a music forum , and it is strictly private approved members only , we are all of a certain age ...ok then ...about 50/60 and are veterans of the scene , in my case ,about 50 years experience..... or more realistically 50 years of being interested in music , anyway , my passion is mainly taking old "live" recordings ,on cassette (i personally have over 2000), and improving/remastering ...if you will ,the sound which is transferred to flac files and shared with members privately ...There is no gain , no profit , no sale ,no Youtube or anything whatsoever connected to financial rewards ..effectively we archive and promote the artist and have connections/dialogue to those in the family/management etc .The artist in question is ok with this and has been since the late seventies, i can assure everyone nothing is dodgy at all .
With that in mind ,i have some very nice equipment , though nothing too OTT , for the same reason that the old studio guys/even artists practice , if it sounds good on your reasonably high quality gear , it sure as hell will sound good to most everyone else ...it's a good philosophy , and not a get out clause ....and recently I got a new headphone amp , an XDUOO mt604 , swapped the tubes for genuine Mullard 1960's vintage , anyway Jason made a cable to connect from DAC to said headphone amp , the first attempt didn't work , so i sent the actual amp and lead to Jason , and he configured it to work , and work it does , i am very pleased , and just recently , a few days ago Jason made up a lead to connect my Grado 325e's to the amp , to replace the detachable stock cable , again , i am very pleased with this , Jason also modded the Grado's to work on the balanced amp , with a detachable 2x 2.5mm to 4 pin XLR ... so yes very pleased indeed .
I have now submitted an order for some Beyerdynamic DT 990's , not that i am unhappy with the Grado's , i just like the idea of having another pair of cans to play with and i believe these will suit me perfectly for the work i do ..So i recommend Custom Cans , i do believe the products are very good indeed , just wish Jason could make me a cable to connect my PRO-JECT Speedbox to my PRO-JECT ACCUBOX (its too short and contrary to the photo , has to sit somewhere else) seems no-one supplies these ..., this is also connected to the PRO-JECT A/D box, cables used here are Furutech . .

Attachments

• IMG_20211011_192124~2.jpg
    IMG_20211011_192124~2.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20211231_111911~2.jpg
    IMG_20211231_111911~2.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20211216_161603~2.jpg
    IMG_20211216_161603~2.jpg
    7.4 MB · Views: 0
Jan 22, 2022 at 2:37 AM Post #102 of 246
As mentioned above ,I have indeed taken delivery of the Beyerdynamic DT 990's... Actually had them a good few days . First impressions are very good indeed , the quality and workmanship of the cans is superb , they are almost like they left the factory already converted!.My references phones are the Grado 325e's, and I do use these a lot , talk about burn in ? , is there such a thing as the opposite....over use?... As these have had hundreds and hundreds of hours usage , but sound better than ever , so the new cans were up against it , and would have to be damn good to beat these , and I can say they do ,there is certainly more soundstage, more refinement and the sound is more measured and cohesive , I still like the Grado's , but the truth is ,these are certainly better , though ,in my case they take a bit of driving as the DAC, is a Sony Walkman A45, but the capped vol output U.K version.
All I can add is great cans , great conversion ,great sound ,very pleased and highly recommend Jason's work.
IMG_20220113_143033.jpg
IMG_20220113_143009~2.jpg

Jan 22, 2022 at 7:41 AM Post #104 of 246
Forgot to add , for those that are curious, the artist reffered to in the first post is known by the three titles of ..... PAUL WELLER ...THE JAM.... and THE STYLE COUNCIL.
Interesting. I thought for sure you meant the Grateful Dead.

Jan 22, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #105 of 246
Interesting. I thought for sure you meant the Grateful Dead.
No sir , it is the Modfather himself , and is co -run by my very good friend from Detroit MI , we also have members in Spain/Japan /Germany/Holland etc , so not entirely an English thing, with an immense amount of live material spanning virtually 50 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back