Custom Art FIBAE 4 announcement
Feb 1, 2019 at 3:07 PM Post #31 of 338
So so tempted... I'm curious as to how the universal would look/fit compared to all of the custom imagery. I swore off customs due to my ear canal changing slightly, ruining my last set.

Feb 1, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #32 of 338
So so tempted... I'm curious as to how the universal would look/fit compared to all of the custom imagery. I swore off customs due to my ear canal changing slightly, ruining my last set.

Just do a search on line for custom art universals, loads of pics about now.

Feb 1, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #33 of 338

I really struggle to get a decent fit with most iems..... Small ears..... With the universal blacks, well, they fit like a glove. Near as custom to custom you can get for me. Fantastic fit. Light. Comfy. Really very nice.

Feb 1, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #34 of 338
Just do a search on line for custom art universals, loads of pics about now.

I really struggle to get a decent fit with most iems..... Small ears..... With the universal blacks, well, they fit like a glove. Near as custom to custom you can get for me. Fantastic fit. Light. Comfy. Really very nice.

Thanks a bunch! I'm gonna sleep on it and make a decision soon. If its a-go, universal is likely the route I'd go.

Feb 1, 2019 at 3:33 PM Post #35 of 338
I confirm that the universal version fits well and is exceptionally small. You would probably still need to try different tips to get best long term comfort.

Feb 1, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #36 of 338
I confirm that the universal version fits well and is exceptionally small. You would probably still need to try different tips to get best long term comfort.

Tip rolling has been key to all my iems. I've always found that comply tips worked for me. Except for with the blacks, the silicone tips that come with them are designed to work specifically with the blacks.
I tried complies but the sound was so much darker. Small stock silicone tips for me. They are a great fit, the first silicone tips I've been able to use. Fancy that! (need to purchase some more smalls as I won't be using my complies any more!)

Feb 1, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #38 of 338
So does the FIBAE technology stop the hiss caused by an impedance mismatch between the earphones and the source?
From my testing with my ol' painless E17K, yes. The tech definitely negates the hisses. E17K (<1.1 ohms O.I. according to FiiO's documentation) is kind of a temperamental DAC/AMP, a little picky, as though it's made for high impedance IEMs or lower impedance cans above 35 ohms but not exceeding 150 ohms. Theoretically, we would need earphones to be at least 8.8 ohms for good match, or to be on the safe side, 11 ohms.

Tested with UERR @ 35 ohms: completely zero hiss.
Havi B3 Pro 1 @ 32 ohms: zero hiss.
All Earsonics IEMS: (They also have impedance adapters built-in) Zero hiss.
Fiio FA7 @ 23 ohms: audible hiss.
Andromedas @ 12.8 ohms: very noticeable hiss.
ASG-1Plus, 11 ohms: completely blissful zero hiss.
SE846 @ 9 ohms: barely audible (black filters), very noticeable (white filters).
FIBAE 1-3 IEMS @ 5.6 - 7.3 ohms: mind-blowingly, ZERO hiss, when I actually expect the hiss to be off the charts. Because look at those crazy low impedances!

So yeah. It definitely does help. Although my running joke has always been that with perfectly fitting IEMs (as though made for my ears), the isolation is awesome, but the tonality isn't quite up to my preferences.

FIBAE 3 reminds me of Earsonic's house sound, so it's definitely not for me.

Feb 2, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #43 of 338
Thanks for posting about the 4 vs. ME and 4 vs. Black. Interesting that the staging on the 4 is much better than the MEs: more to do with increased treble? Is the treble attributable directly to the top-firing driver? How does the staging on the 4 compare to the Blacks? They've both been described as having unique soundstages. (Black because of the resonator and 4 because of the unique tweeters, correct?)
The staging is improved thanks to the Top Firing Driver design - i.e. plane at which driver lets out the sound. The treble increase is most noticeable with tweeters but stage itself is not 100% generated in tweeters.

Feb 2, 2019 at 10:01 AM Post #45 of 338
You get a discount! You get a discount! Everybooodddyyy gets a discooooount!
Somehow I'm imagining that you like this, only with headphones and discounts instead of gold coins:
giphy.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back