Custom Art FIBAE 4 announcement
Jul 24, 2019 at 8:45 PM Post #303 of 338

@Deezel177 review! <Instant click> Your repeated references to the refined staging and imaging on the F4 drives thoughts of a movie/gaming kit (of course, most movie-watchers and gamers aren't going to do CIEMs for the job but there are weird people like me). I'll be returning to your comparisons between the F4 and FB (since the Black is the only one I have). Great collaborative design on this, as always. Hoping you get your hands on the F7 too!

Jul 25, 2019 at 12:34 AM Post #304 of 338
@Deezel177 review! <Instant click> Your repeated references to the refined staging and imaging on the F4 drives thoughts of a movie/gaming kit (of course, most movie-watchers and gamers aren't going to do CIEMs for the job but there are weird people like me). I'll be returning to your comparisons between the F4 and FB (since the Black is the only one I have). Great collaborative design on this, as always. Hoping you get your hands on the F7 too!
[raises hand] I am weird like you. :D I actually love gaming with various IEMs and for a long time my Ei.3 were my preferred weapon of choice, while these days I more often use the FIBAE Black. Not CIEMs, mind, but that is only because I had issues in the past. I would actually love to give CIEMs a try again at some point and then I will certainly be using them for gaming. I love the immersive experience I get with quality IEMs. I just started playing Mass Effect Andromeda again (I know, I know, but I do enjoy the game :wink: ) and it is so nice to get genuine rumble from the spaceship's engines, great vocals (to emphasise the corny acting) and just in general have a more immersive experience.

Also, one of the first things I did when I got my Ei.3 was watch the movie Hot Fuzz. :D

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2019 at 4:05 AM Post #305 of 338
[raises hand] I am weird like you. :D I actually love gaming with various IEMs and for a long time my Ei.3 were my preferred weapon of choice, while these days I more often use the FIBAE Black. Not CIEMs, mind, but that is only because I had issues in the past. I would actually love to give CIEMs a try again at some point and then I will certainly be using them for gaming. I love the immersive experience I get with quality IEMs. I just started playing Mass Effect Andromeda again (I know, I know, but I do enjoy the game :wink: ) and it is so nice to get genuine rumble from the spaceship's engines, great vocals (to emphasise the corny acting) and just in general have a more immersive experience.

Also, one of the first things I did when I got my Ei.3 was watch the movie Hot Fuzz. :D
Yeah, Deezel's comparison between the F4 and FB soundstage really took me on a journey of questioning whether I ought to use my FB's more for games. Granted, the F4 edge the FB on air and space to his ears which I would think would be better for games. Still, he did indicate it was by a hair. I've got to remind myself to try a game with a good spatial sound engine. A lot of positive points on the F4... but then since I'd be more than halfway to the F7... tough call (for my wallet and my ears).

Jul 25, 2019 at 4:19 AM Post #306 of 338

Thank you! Well, the difference between the F4 and the FB in terms of staging is how “tactile” the F4 sounds, especially along hard-left and hard-right, as well as the diagonals. With the Black, elements that are positioned along 10-and-2 o’ clock and 3-and-9 o’clock begin to sound a bit wishy-washy; like simulated surround-sound when compared to the F4. The F4’s presentation of surround is more realistic, because of how physical those elements sound. I have no doubt the F4 is better for games because of this.

Jul 26, 2019 at 1:09 PM Post #308 of 338
Yeah, Deezel's comparison between the F4 and FB soundstage really took me on a journey of questioning whether I ought to use my FB's more for games. Granted, the F4 edge the FB on air and space to his ears which I would think would be better for games. Still, he did indicate it was by a hair. I've got to remind myself to try a game with a good spatial sound engine. A lot of positive points on the F4... but then since I'd be more than halfway to the F7... tough call (for my wallet and my ears).

Depends if you'd like the signature of the f7 though really :p

Me I'm mulling over either sending a universal fibae 2 in for reshell or go for the 4.

Jul 27, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #309 of 338
It is a lazy afternoon at the pool with the F4 and the 8-wire Ares II. I must say the ME is indulgent. The F4 seems technically advanced in comparison. I love the decadent sound of the ME. I think the F4 is tuned to showcase the mid bass and light sub. F4 is really a fantastic, fun, musical tuning for most genres. Certainly both IEMs have their place a collection.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #310 of 338
It is a lazy afternoon at the pool with the Grand the 8-wire Ares II. I must say the ME is indulgent. The F4 is technically advanced in comparison. I love the decadent sound of the ME. I think the F4 is tuned to showcase the mid bass and light sub. It is really a fantastic, fun tuning for most genres.

Sadly it seems that CA have no plans for the me right now :frowning2: Guess they are busy enough with their own range of models which is a nice problem to have :)

Jul 29, 2019 at 7:46 AM Post #311 of 338
I have re-discovered Fibae4 in combination with iBasso DC01 DAC and Satin Audio balanced cable. True 3D soundstage, Radiohead sounds just amazing, Album "Amnesiac", track "Pulk/Pull revolving doors", so detailed but rich. Using USB Player Pro Tidal streaming.
Man, I am so impressed.
CA Solaris will be definitely sold, it doesn't make sense to keep both. IMG_20190729_134954.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #312 of 338
I have re-discovered Fibae4 in combination with iBasso DC01 DAC and Satin Audio balanced cable. True 3D soundstage, Radiohead sounds just amazing, Album "Amnesiac", track "Pulk/Pull revolving doors", so detailed but rich. Using USB Player Pro Tidal streaming.
Man, I am so impressed.
CA Solaris will be definitely sold, it doesn't make sense to keep both.
Wow, that is great to hear!

Aug 11, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #313 of 338
So... I must say even after spending a lot of time with the FIBAE 4 for my review, I still find myself appreciating new facets of the F4... or maybe it’s just because I finally got back to them without any objective in mind than just enjoy the music and oh my the F4 are enjoyable. I am so very impressed by the value for money it’s mind blowing.

I have a few things I’ll probably update in my review after all, stay tuned!
I am waiting for the Dunu Hulk cable and I suspect that it will be an interesting pairing with the F4...

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2019 at 5:06 AM Post #314 of 338
I am surprised that there isn't more talk about the only 4 top firing drivers IEM here... it deserves more love! As I said, I'll add some insight to my review, because the F4 one of those IEMs that will grow and suprise you over a longer stretch of time... I wish I had more sources and cables to test it with, like pro reviewers can get as they're not tied by their budget like I am :p

I am mentioning this because as I hinted I got the Dunu Hulk cable (299$).

Image d’iOS (5).jpg

Hulk baseline is body and weight (with that name, how could it not?), with a nice sub bass boost, clean and well defined mid bass with very good texture. Mids are full and sweet but with clean lower section, subtly forward vocals and overall you don’t loose articulation although upper mids are on the safer side of the force. Treble interestingly, have good energy in the lower section and good extension in the upper register although the cable as a warmer treble tone it's very elegantly done. Soundstage depth is improved quite a bit. Resolution is very good. Hulk is great value for money for sure, especially if you factor the flexibility of the plug system (ala DITA Oslo but with faster/simpler switching).

I was not convinced Hulk would be such a great pairing with the F4, I pictured it would make it bassier, thicker mids and maybe subdue treble a little. But that's the thing with synergy, not that easy to predict what will happen.

I found the Dunu Hulk to be a great pairing for the F4 especially with DX220/AMP9 :
  • sub bass has better extension and presence than my other cables (even PW 1960 4 wires)
  • mid bass has better control, this is tighter bass and this makes it a better experience IMHO
  • mids are fuller and a bit more forward vocal placement is a treat on the F4
  • extra lower treble energy as well and upper register seem more natural
Soundstage wise, the Hulk is massive, height is greater than PW 1960 4 wires which was a surprise to me... but mainly depth is taken to even further heigths. There might be a benefit to bigger gauge with 22 AWG.
Overall the Hulk with its body and weight adds power and bass control to the F4, making it an even more fun listen with the benefit of better balance.

On the subject of cable and synergy with the F4, I also had the opportunity in a meetup to listen to a great value for money proposition (269$) with the Tiburon 8 wires and it's also a great pairing :
  • 8 wires really does benefits the stage size which is significantly bigger in all direction with greater separation and layering, the F4 has tremendous potential with the right synergy putting it up there with the best
  • Bass is not as tight and impactful as the Hulk but it's much more layered, there is more detail in texture
  • Mids don't feature the same body and weight as the Hulk but have the best separation I have heard on the F4 and are very balanced
  • Treble extension is the best I have heard on the F4 and again, synergy reveals further potential of the F4 treble is really beautiful
Overall the Tiburon opens up the stage of the F4, which is really impressive and among the top tier. Layering and separation also benefits greatly and this really takes imaging several notch further. It's not as warm as other cables making it more balanced. I might very well get one when I have the funds....

Both cables are an interesting upgrade path for the F4 and also a testimony that its potential can be unlocked in different dimensions of SQ. I really took my time reviewing the F4 but I find myself quite suprised at how much better it is than I initially thought.

I had people audition it yesterday at a meetup and they were quite surprised... Can't wait to get the F7 now (especially since their owner loved the Hulk pairing and will get one), I couldn't fit the pair that was at the meetup yesterday, no seal... there is a downside to having big ear canals and ears :p (those were the transparent ones posted on Instagram a few days back BTW : really beautiful in real life as well!).

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #315 of 338
@davidmolliere
Which cable did you prefer overall with the F4 and Dx220/amp 9 combo?

That's the combo I use and I'm tempted to try out one of the cables you mention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back