Curse or praise head-fi.org?
Mar 20, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #31 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp_zer0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Without head-fi, music would be a mistake.

Oh man, I don't even want to start on how much I disagree with this. I'm keeping it brief, despite all my urges.

Music can be just as enjoyable on poor equipment, or in low bitrates. Head-Fi helps wring out that last bit of awesome in the song, but it itself does not make the song awesome. Don't listen to your gear, man.

On that note, I did discover some of my favorite music here. So for me the statement "Without head-fi, music would not be" is slightly accurate. But music is never, ever a mistake.

Mar 20, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #32 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Injury /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh man, I don't even want to start on how much I disagree with this. I'm keeping it brief, despite all my urges.

Music can be just as enjoyable on poor equipment, or in low bitrates. Head-Fi helps wring out that last bit of awesome in the song, but it itself does not make the song awesome. Don't listen to your gear, man.

On that note, I did discover some of my favorite music here. So for me the statement "Without head-fi, music would not be" is slightly accurate. But music is never, ever a mistake.

That's not exactly how it's supposed to be read but point taken
biggrin.gif

Mar 20, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #33 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp_zer0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You spent 15 years in college?!?!?!

You discovered MP3's in 2008?!?!?!

No, no no! I might be wrong on the year count here. But this weekend I bought delicate sound of thunder-pink floyd , Brave 24 bit - marillion Cd's. And i had those in the 90 ties.

But it's the music that is paramount here boys. And these cans + plus amps make me enjoy it more. simple as that.

Mar 20, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #34 of 78
One trick is to offset the cost of any new gear is to sell the old stuff first but I mostly agree with mido.....moderation is key as well as knowing that side grades although tough to spot for the beginner can be avoided by asking loads of questions and doing some diligent research before committing to a system. The other key is understanding what gear works well together in that system.

Entry level gear thus matched optimally can bring surprising results...if you are handy with a soldering iron those results can be further refined but that's a whole other obsession in itself (although relatively cheap in comparison to buying new gear).

Peete.

Mar 20, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #35 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Injury /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Seconded. I never try to push my views on others, nor do I ever say that someone with poor equipment is not a music aficionado. They're two different things.

Mar 20, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #36 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by midoo1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know why you guys make a big deal of it and I really don't like "sorry about your wallet" slogan
or statment or whatever.as you can see in my signature,I have some nice headphones and iems and tube
amp but I didn't take a single penny from the bank.I am 18 and university student and I don't spend
much and I get every month a good amount of money from my parents which I save month after
month to afford these luxury items,but I never go extreme and blow all my money for a
headphone that only produce sound.There are more important things in life and anyone on
this site should have self control over himself and know when enough is enough.I will never
make my creditcard overcharged with any expenses nor am I gonna get every month a new toy.

I know that headfi is addiction and I know most people here spend hours and hours everyday
and read about headphones,but come on this is enough.Right now I got a d5000 which I
traded with someone here for my amp and iem and I discovered something,it's not worth it.
There is a difference between it and hd650,it is a bit clearer with better timbre but so what?
it doesn't change the sound of the song,it is the same song but presented slighlty different.
The same is with my IEMs,the difference between each one is small and the song doesn't
sound different,just slighlty.when my wa6 arrives this week,I won't get anything else,my
collection is full for now and I discovered that although this hobby is seductive and great,
but the difference between headphones is very small to justify any purchase.

You always read"this headphone has slighlty more bass than the other,or has better
soundstage about 5% different".Guess what?I don't care.I found that when you buy
a very well mastered cd,it will sound phenomenal on ANY headphone or iem and you
can enjoy it fully with one headphone,and you will stop saying "I just want a bit more
air in the music".The cd will sound fantastic on anything.I found MY headphone to be
the hd650 and it performs every genres well and know I feel kind of dissapointed that
I bought d5000,ck10 and fx500.They are fantastic BUT for me right now and I am 18,
I don't care anymore and I don't want this "slightly better bass" found on another
headphone.Maybe when I become a millionare or rich,my perspective will change and
my vision about my theory will change,but right now I am out of the headphone world.

Maybe in the summer,I will concentrate on DIY and begin with it because I am an engineer,
first year in university and I want to improve my skills as I will choose electrical engineering
major next year and it seems like a great way to kill the time and learn tons of informations.
some will say"it will cost an arm and leg just like headphones".well,I don't mind spending my
money on something that I will benefit from,and my dad is fully willing to support me financially
in a thing that will make me better.

I have to say,I love headfi and I want to thank everyone here for the wonderful reviews and
impressions they posted to help newbies like me,but right now I will concentrate on my studies
and listening to great music with my setup at home and my ie8 when portable is needed.I hope
that anyone who is begining to get caught in this amazing seductive hobby and spending fortunes
on rigs and luxury headphones to ask him/herself "is it worth it?" if yes,then continue do what you
love and spend in what you think is right and if not,then you have to reconsider everything and only
settle with a nice rig that will satisfy you mostly for a long time just as I did.
My final thoughts or impressions will be on the woo audio appreciation thread and then I am done
with this journey that finally came to an end.

We dont all have parents giving us money, for one....

For two.... We are here to pursue the audio hobby, which usually means spending money, and half the time we say were crying over our wallets,we are only joking.
If youre done, good then....were happy for you, but there are others that arent done, and if they want to spend double the price on something to gain that last 5%, thats the whole fun of it.

If everyone took your advice and was just happy with their headphones because any headphones are good enough to play music, there would be no Head-Fi, and no audio hobby at all, because everyone would use the buds that came with their player and just be happy.

I had to make 3 trips to the car to carry heavy crates of stuff into a meet recently, and i plan on getting more stuff. Why? Well, because i just like having stuff, and plan to have more stuff. Stuff is good.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 20, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #37 of 78
ok first of all,i know that the situation is different in the US and parents dont give money to their children,they have to work for it.Here in my country,parents are responsible for us and pay for everything(not luxury item tho) and in return we study and get great grades,we only concentrate on studying.

second point,i know you are joking about"sorry about your wallet",but i hate this statment and dont consider it a good joke.it is presented in every thread and every newbie is greated with it to the point that the statment become so boring and dull.

Third,you got me wrong on the headphone part.I didnt say that you should use your stock earbuds,i said you can get a nice setup that will last you a long time and you can then stop the headfi disease(yes disease!).How many headfiers you see here are obsessed about headphones and choosing the right amp instead of enjoying what they have?all the time you see headfier purchasing a new headphone and in a month buy another one although the first one is the very best,isnt that an addiction?as i said i dont mind this,but people become obsessed with this even if their budget doesnt allow them and simply forget about sticking for one great setup and enjoy the music.

i am just trying to post my findings and many will disagree with me and you are one of them,and i am fine with that.I am just trying to advice people especially new ones of my experiace with this hobby.i used to be smartphones junkie and i was obsessed with it to the point that whenever i get a new phone,i dont use its features,i look for the better more expensive and advanced one and forgot the purpose why i was in this hobby in the first place.

Now,i never look at new phones and i am not addicted anymore,and instead i bought the blackberry curve 8900 and enjoy it very much and will be satisfied for a very very long time.Thats exactly the same situation with my hd650.I am now satisfied because i found the best headphone for me and my search ended.and as i said if you want to continue in this hobby,then you should pursue that last 5%.

thats just my opinion ofcourse.

Mar 20, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #38 of 78
Midoo unless you've become familiar with what can be done (in terms of top tier performance) it's tough to gauge where you are at currently. In other words that last 5% you speak of could be 5-75% depending on what you have. The top of the mountain is crowded with many flavors of the same theme which could be said of every stop in between. IMO at least.

Peete.

Mar 20, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #39 of 78
guys you missed the point completly,i am not talking about that last 5%,i am talking with the obsession with new gears and new headphones.If one can settle with a great setup,why would he want to buy something else?didnt we all come to headfi to find the setup that suits us?and when we find it,we still buy new headphones that will only offer slight improvement.i see many headfiers here all the time swap gears and buy new headphones or the FOTM when they clearly dont need it.

i learned this expensive lesson when i was into smartphones and bought the FOTM just because of the looks and new toys syndrome.And believe me,i spent on smartphone more than what i spent here on headfi.As i said,if you love this hobby and want that last 5 or 75%,then spend on it and enjoy it.I used to read and comment on this site daily and i spent an average of 4 hours a day reading for months.That's obsession.

what i heard from my hd650+micro amp made me very satisfied but because of my obsession,i dropped $860 for a woo6 when clearly i didnt need it and i enjoyed the music immensly from my previous setup that i found no fault with .Thats what i am trying to say,most headfiers here buy new gears and dont enjoy the music with only one great setup.The difference between one headphone and the other is small,the same case with iems,and i am not willing to spend more because IMHO i can only enjoy one expensive setup and forget about whats new or whats better.i can afford buying a stax setup for $6000 but i dont because i dont need it and i am extremly satisfied with what i have.i cant justify paying $5000 more for a setup that will only offer 5 or 10% or will offer different flavour and will not change the way a song is played.

Anyone agree with what i say?

Mar 20, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #40 of 78
Point taken Midoo ...

I am happy that you are satisfied with a modest system, that's terrific but as you should also take into consideration what is good for you may be not nearly good enough for me. The pursuit of gear on a monthly basis may happen with a few members here but by and large most here hang onto to their purchases for quite sometime before moving on unless it's a really bad match from the get go. I think you are overstating what is going on here.

That being said those with the means to go through mountains of gear should be able to do so without criticism because it is off the backs of those few individuals that the rest of us get our new gear fix from. That doesn't lead many here to dump what they have 10 minutes after reading about it but rather IMO gives one the necessary info in order to piece together a pretty elusive puzzle. There is loads of gear talked about here and elsewhere but there are precious few "systems" information talked about which is part of the problem.

Peete

Mar 20, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #41 of 78
point taken also.But what i see here,not a few number of members buy gears after a short period of time.
oh well,i will stop now,i showed my point
biggrin.gif

Mar 20, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #42 of 78
Quote:

I don't know why you guys make a big deal of it and I really don't like "sorry about your wallet" slogan

I get every month a good amount of money from my parents

There is our difference.

I am also 18, and will be buying a headphone amp, dac and another amp for speakers. The speakers (waiting another month to buy them) will be m-audio bx5as and their SBX10 sub. And unlike you, i enjoy all the differences my audio equipment gives me and i don't get money from my parent.

I find Head-Fi both a curse and a blessing for some people and can appreciate the wallet joke. But for me, Head-Fi is just a blessing. There is nothing else i'd rather spend my money on than my favorite hobby.

I'm not in a university yet but can somehow use grammar better than a 9 year old. Whats your excuse? EDIT: Read more of the thread and it seems you're not native to English. My bad. Try spacing after punctuation though.

/endrant I really have nothing against you except the fact that you get everything handed to you and you're the one complaining. People like you bring out the bitterness in me.

Mar 20, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #43 of 78
English is not my native language bit I am pretty strong at it,the only reason that my posts have errors and no spacing is that I write from my iPod touch,which is not good.

I actually wanted to avoid the money part because I knew someone will jump at me and say I am spoiled as I don't work.People here in my country at the same age as me don't work,we don't work in a bar,in a restaurant or anything else.we study hard,focus on university,take summer courses or not and try to excell in our major.

this is normal in my country and whenever I say this to any American,he look at me as if I committed a crime and that I am lazy ass rich kid.Our culture is different from America and we have great expectations to ourselves and from our parents.I am not spoiled rich kid and we don't have a Mercedes in our garage,we live well and we don't need money.My parents don't get me luxury items and don't for example buy me a $200 pair of boots or a $500 watch.I have a swatch that I bought for $150 from my own money.

It is pretty uncommon that a teenager who is 18 years old is not in college(what's your excuse?).you don't care about college that's your problem,but again it is vert uncommon in my country for a teenager to not attend college.what are you gonna work?I am working hard now,to rest and be satisfied later,I don't know what are you bitter of!!this is clearly off topic.

Mar 20, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #44 of 78
Quote:

English is not my native language bit I am pretty strong at it,the only reason that my posts have errors and no spacing is that I write from my iPod touch,which is not good.

I actually wanted to avoid the money part because I knew someone will jump at me and say I am spoiled as I don't work.People here in my country at the same age as me don't work,we don't work in a bar,in a restaurant or anything else.we study hard,focus on university,take summer courses or not and try to excell in our major.

this is normal in my country and whenever I say this to any American,he look at me as if I committed a crime and that I am lazy ass rich kid.Our culture is different from America and we have great expectations to ourselves and from our parents.I am not spoiled rich kid and we don't have a Mercedes in our garage,we live well and we don't need money.My parents don't get me luxury items and don't for example buy me a $200 pair of boots or a $500 watch.I have a swatch that I bought for $150 from my own money.

It is pretty uncommon that a teenager who is 18 years old is not in college(what's your excuse?).you don't care about college that's your problem,but again it is vert uncommon in my country for a teenager to not attend college.what are you gonna work?I am working hard now,to rest and be satisfied later,I don't know what are you bitter of!!this is clearly off topic.

We are talking about Japan I presume? (it's not that far off topic IMO)

Mar 20, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #45 of 78
Egypt.And as I said,I value money and I am not a big spender and my dad doesn't spoil me.He doesn't want to get me a car until I graduate and become mature and he doesn't buy me fancy luxurious stuff.He is willing to support my hobby as long as I learn from it and know how drivers work,the differences between headphones and amps technically....
I don't know that this is considered q spoil or unappreciation for money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back