Current DT770 Pro 80 Owner
Dec 6, 2010 at 4:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Pm@c

500+ Head-Fier
So ive had my DT770 Pro 80 ohms for a little over 4 years now and they are starting to show their age. The drivers are crackly, the earpads are breaking (even though I can simply get those on ebay for 15 bucks) and altogether they are just starting to wear down.

I absolutely have loved them since I got them.

I use them for gaming, music (Dream Theater, Metallica, The Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden, all FLAC files), and watching TV shows (Dexter, Boardwalk Empire, The Walking Dead etc), I also use them to watch blu ray movies (PS3 connected with optical to Logitech Z5500's, then the DT770s hooked up to the Z5500 control pod).

So my dillemma is this. Do I just buy another pair of them for around $175-180 after shipping (Canadian) or is there any other full size closed cans that you guys think I might like? Or should I send them to get Darth'd? My question about Darthing is: Does he replace the driver? Because I really think it is my driver starting to go, ive cleaned them out as best I can and I can still hear a bit of rattling/crackling during bassy parts of songs or movies.

Any suggestions for the $150-$250 price range for closed cans?

Dec 7, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #2 of 17
When I bought my 770-80s I compared them against a number of other phones:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/beyerdynamic-dt-770-pro-80-closed-studio-headphones

I continue to be amazed by these headphones. It is hard for me to imagine a better sounding unit for anything near the price.
The Darth modification doesn't replace the drivers but he will sell you a complete modded pair should you desire.

These phones definitely improve over time. Anyone who has listened to them with less than a few hundred hours haven't heard what they are capable of.

I also have a set of the new JMoney leather pads on the way.

Good luck!

Dec 8, 2010 at 2:36 AM Post #3 of 17
Try out the Denon D1100's. They are warmer and the bass is less punchy but more quantity than the 770 pros. The mids are also recessed but not as much as the Beyers. The highs and mids are very crisp and clear. Vocals are very good. I haven't tried htem with movies and gaming yet, but you should definitely keep an eye for these. I compared them to the DT 770  pros and I like these more personally.

Dec 8, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #4 of 17

Quote:
Try out the Denon D1100's. They are warmer and the bass is less punchy but more quantity than the 770 pros. The mids are also recessed but not as much as the Beyers. The highs and mids are very crisp and clear. Vocals are very good. I haven't tried htem with movies and gaming yet, but you should definitely keep an eye for these. I compared them to the DT 770  pros and I like these more personally.

The Denons are the brand I would most like to compare in person, especially the AH-D2000. I have heard incredible things about these and they measure great on headphone.com (the 1100 looks great too but unfortunately they don't seem to have graphs for it yet). The Denons have as good of a step response and the frequency response is flatter than the Beyers have. The only area the Beyers look better on paper is in isolation. Since I use only one pair of phones for all purposes including travel this is high on my priority list but many don't need that as much.

Denons look awesome overall.

Dec 8, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #5 of 17
Well it's pretty similar to the 770 pros except the different sound signatures that i mentioned. It's definitely worth a try if you want to make a switch to a different sound. The D2000 require more power than the D1100 and wouldn't work as well on portable devices. Plus the D2000 aren't nearly as portable as the D1100s. The D1100 is light and stay on your head very well, the only problem is that it makes you look like a Hey Arnold football head because of the frame sticking out at the sides so I don't wear these around campus.

Dec 13, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #6 of 17
Where do you order the pads from? I definately am keeping this headphones, and definately could use some pads right away. I was just thinking of having an alternate pair. Ill look into the Denons, thanks!

I was looking at those Jmoney pads but 55 bucks for a pair seems a little hefty for me. Is there any other place to order pads from, even if just the originals?

Also I was wondering if a recable would be worth it?

I was looking at these: http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/spare-parts/ohrmuschelsatz-12.html

Are those the leather pads talked about in http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/424130/review-jmoney-audio-genuine-leather-earpads-for-beyer-dt770-880-990/75 ?

Dec 14, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #7 of 17
I've been thinking about buying a pair of these I can find a few places selling them relatively cheap and the general positive reviews about them. But one question for those who own them. Can they be driven by regular audio equipment like a laptop? Or do you have to have a amplifier?

Dec 14, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #8 of 17

Quote:
I've been thinking about buying a pair of these I can find a few places selling them relatively cheap and the general positive reviews about them. But one question for those who own them. Can they be driven by regular audio equipment like a laptop? Or do you have to have a amplifier?

The 80 ohm model does not need an amp. Amping does improve it on weaker (i.e. most) soundcards though. The 250 ohm one definitely needs an amp to sound decent. And yes, I used to own the 250 ohm and exchanged it for an 80 ohm one.

I can't express my opinion on Darth Beyers as I don't own them, but some people around here seem to have issues with it, mostly its bass ruining the music.

Dec 14, 2010 at 6:08 AM Post #9 of 17

Quote:
Quote:

The 80 ohm model does not need an amp. 

The 80 ohm model DOES need an amp to shine. 

Dec 14, 2010 at 6:24 AM Post #10 of 17
Agreed. To shine, yes, but to be driven decently, no. There aren't much sonic improvements when I run mine with an amp compared to when I don't, but maybe that's because my amps are lousy :D

Dec 14, 2010 at 9:11 AM Post #11 of 17
I ever tried to use 770/80 direct from my Sansa, not good indeed, the sound just lose control, bass too boomy, mid to reccesed, and sharp treble. Then try it portable amp (Crossroad Spirit, with 9 volt battery), sounds better indeed. Everything just more refine, and the different is easy to pick. 

Also tried it with desktop amp (Linearossa K3), amazing !! yes the mid is still laidback (original sound sig), but I will never call it as too reccesed, treble is smooth, while bass control is really good. :)

Dec 14, 2010 at 9:54 AM Post #12 of 17
Hate to derail the flow of the conversation, I was wondering if anyone had an input on the types of pads used with the 770s? My velour pads are falling apart and I was debating on the pads from Beyers site for $29 or the Jmoney pads (read the review thread, not too keen on ordering from Jmoney) for $55. 

I was wondering what kind of material these are made out of since they dont specify: http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/spare-parts/ohrmuschelsatz-12.html

Dec 14, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #13 of 17
Hmm, so I don't need an amp. But an amp does help make these shine. Well I do have an old tube Sansui 1000x though. Could that drive it? 

Some info on it: http://vintageelectronics.betamaxcollectors.com/sansuistereoreceivermodel1000x.html

Dec 14, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #14 of 17
I can't believe your DT770 pro/80's are actually "showing their age" aside from the pads which is normal wear and tear.  I've had mine longer than you and I beat the crap out of mine on a daily basis lol.  There are at least several occasions each week when I will nerd rage over something and end up tossing them across the room against the wall
tongue.gif

You should check out the Gel pads for the DT770s http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/266192/beyerdynamic-manufaktur-s-gooey-gel-ear-seals-770-880-990

I got these and they are amazing.  The bass response is even better, and sounds wonderful.  The pads are extremely reliable and don't seem to suffer the same sort of wear and tear that the velour pads do.  After a few months the Velour pads are like wearing two dirty, crusty, old socks on the side of your head.  The gel pads, months later, still look like the day I installed them.

Dec 15, 2010 at 2:37 AM Post #15 of 17

A small E5 amp helps too.
Quote:
Hate to derail the flow of the conversation, I was wondering if anyone had an input on the types of pads used with the 770s? My velour pads are falling apart and I was debating on the pads from Beyers site for $29 or the Jmoney pads (read the review thread, not too keen on ordering from Jmoney) for $55. 

I was wondering what kind of material these are made out of since they dont specify: http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/spare-parts/ohrmuschelsatz-12.html

Also if you are running them off a portable device, don't even think about running them off a small portable device like a nano or Sansa Clip. You will have to max the volume on the player to get the volume of the 770 pros anywhere near a listenable level and then the sound is destroyed. At LEAST have it from a larger media player like an iPod Touch. And even a small portable amp would help a lot. They help drive the volume louder without distorting. For best results of course, it would be necessary to get better equipment, but they can sound good if you can have some adequate power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back