CSP2+/ASL OTL 32/WA2 Decisions Decisions
Aug 18, 2010 at 10:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

R_burke

100+ Head-Fier
Considering either the Decware CSP2+, Antique Sound Labs DG/OTL 32 or perhaps the Woo WA2 as my preamp/headphone amp.  

I listen through both W5000s and SA5000s.  I dont need a lot of source inputs CD and aux is fine, occasionally I put the TV through the speakers. The rest of the system is GR Research OB5 speakers, REL Strata III subwoofer, Manley Mahi Mahi amps, and a Shanling CD T100 player.

Aug 18, 2010 at 2:52 PM Post #2 of 10
All those amps are OTL amps with a rather high output impedance that will not work too weel with low impedance cans like W5000 and SA5000 look for an amp with output transformers if you want a tube amp, this could be the WA6, the Mapletree EAR or Bottlehead S.E.X. or other I don't know how they synergize with the mentioned cans though so you will have to look around for impressions.

Aug 18, 2010 at 3:02 PM Post #3 of 10

Quote:
Considering either the Decware CSP2+, Antique Sound Labs DG/OTL 32 or perhaps the Woo WA2 as my preamp/headphone amp.  

I listen through both W5000s and SA5000s.  I dont need a lot of source inputs CD and aux is fine, occasionally I put the TV through the speakers. The rest of the system is GR Research OB5 speakers, REL Strata III subwoofer, Manley Mahi Mahi amps, and a Shanling CD T100 player.

I have the CSP2 and it works well with my Denon D7000 and T1 and the Beyer 770 600 ohm. Steve new CSP2 has adjustments that will make any can work. Where else can you get a lifetime warranty. I really love the amp.

Aug 19, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #6 of 10
With those headphones, you should really look at the WooAudio WA6. It will match better with your low-impedance headphones.

Aug 20, 2010 at 4:26 AM Post #7 of 10
The Mapletree EAR amps offer output transformer coupled tube amps with the ability to be used as preamps. They might be worth a look, I'm not sure that the WA6 offera this though, so if it's mandatory that the amp can be used as a preamp, you better check first.

Quote:
Nope, these are the only headphone amp/preamp combos I've found in my price range of <$1,000.  I welcome any other suggestions.

Aug 20, 2010 at 10:13 AM Post #8 of 10
The WA6 is without preamp capabilities and I wasn't sure that Mapletree was still in business?? If they are, do you have a specific recommendation?

Quote:
The Mapletree EAR amps offer output transformer coupled tube amps with the ability to be used as preamps. They might be worth a look, I'm not sure that the WA6 offera this though, so if it's mandatory that the amp can be used as a preamp, you better check first.

Aug 20, 2010 at 10:17 AM Post #9 of 10
I believe Jack can always add the preamp outputs to the WA6.  Shoot him an email, he usually responds within a day or two.

Aug 20, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #10 of 10

I'm sorry to say that I have never listened to any of the Mapletree amps( or any other amps than my µDAC and EF2 for that matter) I just had a quick look at their HP and they state that you can add a preamp function for 50$. For the mentioned cans I do however think that the cheapest model will be just as good or even better that the HD Super II, but you should do a search as I'm not too sure.
Quote:
The WA6 is without preamp capabilities and I wasn't sure that Mapletree was still in business?? If they are, do you have a specific recommendation?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back