Critical "darlings" and over-rated artists you just can't stand....
Oct 6, 2002 at 1:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 66

markl

Hangin' with the monkeys.
Member of the Trade: Lawton Audio
They're lionized by most critics. They have a loyal, fanatical fan base. Their praises are sung in the pages of the music magazines ad nauseum. They may be some of the biggest names in rock 'n roll, virtual institutions. But, for some reason, you just don't "get it". Who are they, and why do you think they're over-rated? This requires a little knowledge of the music press and who they deem "cool" and a "quality artist". For example Motley Crue, while they may have a loyal fanbase, are not critical darlings by any stretch so they don't qualify. The group/artist must have some musical, critical gravitas. They must be "important" artists that have had some cultural/musical impact even if actual album sales were low.

I'll start off the top of my head:

1. Grateful Dead. Booooooring!!!!! I just don't get their appeal. No songs.

2. Elvis Presley. Maybe this blew the minds of the kiddies in the repressed '50's but come on-- he's so cheesy!!

3. Janis Joplin. She actually embarrasses me. Again, maybe this was "out of this world" in its day, but now it's just a drunken car-crash.

That'll get us started. I can think of many more, but I'll hold off til I see if there's interest.

Mark

Oct 7, 2002 at 3:33 AM Post #10 of 66
Quote:

Originally posted by Matthew-Spaltro
Dave Matthews band, Kiss, Billy Joel, Elton John, Madonna, Aerosmith.

One of the entertainment rags refers to "Before these crowded streets" as the worst album of 1998.

Oct 7, 2002 at 4:29 AM Post #12 of 66
Quote:

Originally posted by Jeff Guidry
Eminem. Music critics crap their pants over this overplayed, overhyped gas bag.

Well according to entertainment tonight, he is better then Nelly...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Biggie.

edit: Treble Charger always seems to get good reviews but I really cannot stand them...

Oct 7, 2002 at 5:16 AM Post #13 of 66
KennyG - C'mon, isn't his 15 minutes up yet?
Celine Dion - Oh puhleeez
Maria Carey - Where is she now?
rolleyes.gif

Oct 7, 2002 at 10:11 PM Post #15 of 66
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
ALL Rap
ALL Nu-Metal
ALL Pop

Yep that pretty much sums it up!

Cheers...

Users who are viewing this thread