Critical "darlings" and over-rated artists you just can't stand....
Oct 16, 2002 at 8:54 AM Post #46 of 66
Quote:

Originally posted by ArChaos
Why?

they're too 'intellectual' for me; i like my music mindless and brutal hahaha.

basically:

short, fast & loud = good
long(er), fast & loud = even better
long, slooooow & loud = good enough
long, slow/mid-paced, unnecessarily complex and 'intellectual' = not interested

... those 2 bands just don't do anything for me, no matter how talented they are. put the cd in the deck and i'll end up skipping through the whole disc in less than 5 minutes. and end up listening to Repulsion.
tongue.gif

Oct 16, 2002 at 1:45 PM Post #47 of 66
Quote:

Maria Carey - Where is she now?

Uhm...cracked out on her knees backstage at a Jay-Z show?

I'll add to the list:

All radio Rap - specifically Camron, Ashante, etc. overplayed tripe!
All Boy bands! Ugh...stick a fork in my eye and twist!
ALL new era punk - ie sum41 et all - you don't fool me bitches! LAME!
more later

Oct 16, 2002 at 7:36 PM Post #48 of 66
Quote:

Originally posted by eastsidemetalhd
they're too 'intellectual' for me; i like my music mindless and brutal hahaha.

basically:

short, fast & loud = good
long(er), fast & loud = even better
long, slooooow & loud = good enough
long, slow/mid-paced, unnecessarily complex and 'intellectual' = not interested

Then check out Queens of the Stone Age, Songs for the Deaf -- that album rocks. From what you say, it sounds like you'd like it. If you haven't already, that is.

Oct 17, 2002 at 1:51 PM Post #50 of 66
Quote:

Originally posted by geom_tol
eastsidemetalhd: You like Motorhead?

... love them!! one of the main goals in my life is to still be able to rock that hard if i reach Lemmy's age (mid-50s?). that and be able to drink a mere fraction of what his liver can still take nowadays.
biggrin.gif

Oct 17, 2002 at 5:51 PM Post #51 of 66
okay...i know i'm going to get flamed for this...

but someone that is loved by all... not loved by me....

Bob Dylan

Oct 17, 2002 at 5:57 PM Post #52 of 66
Quote:

Originally posted by eastsidemetalhd
... love them!! one of the main goals in my life is to still be able to rock that hard if i reach Lemmy's age (mid-50s?). that and be able to drink a mere fraction of what his liver can still take nowadays.
biggrin.gif

Cool. Your description of what you like fits their songs perfect.

My main goal in life is to look like Lemmy. :/

Oct 18, 2002 at 3:36 AM Post #53 of 66
Quote:

Originally posted by geom_tol
My main goal in life is to look like Lemmy. :/

... imagine going to a plastic surgeon with a photo of Lemmy and telling the guy, in all seriousness, "i want to look like this." hahaha.

Oct 18, 2002 at 3:59 AM Post #54 of 66
You know, I used to dislike Bob Dylan until I started actually listening to him. Then I "got it" in a big way. Bob Dylan transcends music. His songs are an instruction manual on "how to be a man". Damn, after a while, you actually begin to *like* that croak-y voice!

Bob Dylan is like broccoli-- tastes bad initially but is truly good for you! "Try it, you'll like it!"

Mark

Oct 18, 2002 at 4:29 AM Post #55 of 66
Dylan rights good songs, I will give you that.

But I have to disagree with the instruction manual on how to be a man comment. He is a pretty god awful father. A measure of a man is what he does, not what he says.

Oct 18, 2002 at 4:45 AM Post #56 of 66
You mean, he "writes good songs", eh?
wink.gif

You'd be hard-pressed to personally signify what one-one-hundredth of what Bob Dylan means to other people-- yes? You may not "approve" of Dylan in all his incarnations, but you must at least respect that he means A LOT to A LOT of people.

So, yeah, I think he's well within his means to instruct us all on what it means to be "a man".

Mark

Oct 18, 2002 at 4:46 AM Post #57 of 66
The Vines the hives the strokes. Ack...

Oct 18, 2002 at 4:20 PM Post #58 of 66
How can I enjoy the frothing rants fully when certain foonts among us lack the intestinal fortitude to let the thread be negative?

People who live to defend Bob Dylan should post to the secular worship thread: Artists Whom Critics Routinely Service Verbally and Why I, too, Reverence Their Crinkly Rectums.

I've spent years enduring Dylan's multi-leveled ineptitude. I've even watched him try to play on a Ron Wood album during what had to be the easiest recording session ever to ensnare professionals. Everyone around D. gave up -- the engineer, even Wood himself -- and no one used D's track because, in the cold gray Trailways bus depot of life, the guy proves talentless. Critics identify with him because, like Reed, he can't sing.

People who revere D.'s lyrics should read the poets who inspired him and stop settling for his Hallmark greeting chorus neo-hobo distillate. Strip away the stagy rebellion and there's no nihilism beneath, just regular-guy misanthropy and xenophobia. Dylan's just a Christian apologist with a five-o-clock shadow. Shave and go home.

Oct 18, 2002 at 6:20 PM Post #59 of 66
Quote:

Originally posted by scrypt
How can I enjoy the frothing rants fully when certain foonts among us lack the intestinal fortitude to let the thread be negative?

People who live to defend Bob Dylan should post to the secular worship thread: Artists Whom Critics Routinely Service Verbally and Why I, too, Reverence Their Crinkly Rectums.

I've spent years enduring Dylan's multi-leveled ineptitude. I've even watched him try to play on a Ron Wood album during what had to be the easiest recording session ever to ensnare professionals. Everyone around D. gave up -- the engineer, even Wood himself -- and no one used D's track because, in the cold gray Trailways bus depot of life, the guy proves talentless. Critics identify with him because, like Reed, he can't sing.

People who revere D.'s lyrics should read the poets who inspired him and stop settling for his Hallmark greeting chorus neo-hobo distillate. Strip away the stagy rebellion and there's no nihilism beneath, just regular-guy misanthropy and xenophobia. Dylan's just a Christian apologist with a five-o-clock shadow. Shave and go home.

Wow. Fire in the hole.

Oct 18, 2002 at 6:24 PM Post #60 of 66
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
You mean, he "writes good songs", eh?
wink.gif

You'd be hard-pressed to personally signify what one-one-hundredth of what Bob Dylan means to other people-- yes? You may not "approve" of Dylan in all his incarnations, but you must at least respect that he means A LOT to A LOT of people.

So, yeah, I think he's well within his means to instruct us all on what it means to be "a man".

Mark

Thanks for your POV. I get a lot of humor from your absolutism on these pages.

I think that being a man means being a good father to your kids. It's pretty tragic how little he was/is involved with his own children. I think that Dylan really meant to a lot of people but that was a long time ago.

To me Dylan is really a cartoonish figure. I think of him in a similar way that you think of Elvis. Another person that meant a lot to a lot of people, and judging by the crowds at Graceland still means something to a lot of people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back