Critical "darlings" and over-rated artists you just can't stand....
Oct 14, 2002 at 2:23 PM Post #31 of 66
Quote:

Originally posted by scrypt

Guided by Voices. He must mean what he's saying -- after all, the production's calculatedly low budget and the execution's inept.

I had almost forgotten about these guy. Thanks for bringing them up. I grew up in their area of origin, but I can't bring myself to say one nice thing about them. I guess I can appreciate the irony of their name, unless it was a reference to the voices in their head telling them to make crappy music.

Oct 14, 2002 at 11:08 PM Post #32 of 66
Add another +1 for Moby.

There was a time that I liked him... Then I started listening to real electronica, real rock, and real trip-hop and realized he was a pale combination of the three that doesn't do justice to any of them.

Oct 15, 2002 at 12:37 AM Post #33 of 66
R.E.M. after they lost Bill Berry. It's not even close to being the same band but the critics are still fawning over them for some reason.

Avril Lavigne
Alicia Keys
The Strokes
Radiohead
Bjork (all already mentioned)

Michelle Branch

Vanessa Carlton I also hate her for being a Chantal Kreviazuk lookalike as well as ripping off the piano playing going down the street thing from Chantal in her video.

Red Hot Chili Peppers Yes they have some good songs, but so do many other bands. Why the critics gush so much over their new albums I don't understand.

And yet another vote for Moby. Moby must die!
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 15, 2002 at 12:42 AM Post #34 of 66
Just wanted to add, that a number of the names on this list are among my personal favorites. Ouch!
wink.gif

Radiohead
Bjork
Nine Inch Nails
The Pixies
Blur
Lou Reed
Bruce Springsteen
Guided by Voices
Pink Floyd
U2
Rolling Stones
Wilco
Spiritualized

Also, there are a lot of people that I waould not classify as "critical darlings"; they may be popular with their own audience, but in fact they're mostly lambasted by critics:

Kiss
Kid Rock
Kenny G
Celine Dion
Mariah Carey

Mark

Oct 15, 2002 at 2:33 AM Post #36 of 66
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
Just wanted to add, that a number of the names on this list are among my personal favorites. Ouch!
wink.gif
Mark

I pray to the foamin' baby jesus ye aren't tellin' us our choices were unexpected. Ye wouldn' be violatin' the hilarious tone ye've set up, now would ye, lad?

I think I know what you mean -- though I haven't experienced the same sense of people hammering my taste because, well, I hate everything already.

Don't worry. We all read the fashion don'ts column in Vice Magazine.

Oct 15, 2002 at 2:59 AM Post #37 of 66
scrypt,
As anyone, I'm quite secure in my personal taste. I have no problem posting my opinion. It may not always be popular but that ceratainly doesn't affect the way I feel.

And obviously, from my point of view, the folks that slagged my personal favorites are "wrong", but certainly entitled to their opinion, after all, I asked for it!

Carry on.

Mark

Oct 15, 2002 at 4:11 AM Post #38 of 66
I hate everything you guys like.

Oct 15, 2002 at 2:47 PM Post #40 of 66
Quote:

gloco said...

I hate everything you guys like.

Seconded.

Oct 15, 2002 at 2:48 PM Post #41 of 66
Eventually, the conversation grew flaccid and ostentatiously humble: someone mentioned Moby.

I used to hate myself for hating everything but then I learned to love my hateful side (until self-hate-love grew tedious, of course). Then, suddenly, I was able to stand outside myself and rose to a lofty vantage, where I watched Moby spend a quiet evening at home feeding his Himalayan Setter, "Quietude," an entire dish of tea-flavored vegan mock-pork. The animal was appreciative but hideously malnourished. After that, M. spun techno-lite in the tepid Ken Ishi vein.

After that, Greek poetry.

Oct 15, 2002 at 5:02 PM Post #42 of 66
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
i hate everything i like.

p.s. dave sucks.
biggrin.gif

Don't get me started!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 15, 2002 at 5:07 PM Post #43 of 66
Quote:

Originally posted by eastsidemetalhd

Tool
Opeth

Why?

Oct 15, 2002 at 10:20 PM Post #44 of 66
U2
REM
Sex Pistols
Nirvana
Ramones. (I know I am going to get hate mail for this choice)
Moby
Dave Mathews Band
Bjork
Celine Dion
Gratefull Dead
Shania Twain
Radiohead
Dixie Chicks
Nsync
Korn
Rolling Stones(A few great songs but overall...)
Garth Brooks
Micheal Jackson
Madonna
Is that enough for ya
eek.gif

Oct 15, 2002 at 11:17 PM Post #45 of 66
Quote:

Originally posted by Scrypt:

Then suddenly, I was able to stand outside myself and rose to a lofty vantage, where I watched Moby spend a quiet evening at home fellating Spot. The animal was so appreciative. After that, M. spun techno-lite in the tepid Ken Ishi vein. And all the while, Irish setter fluids crystallized on his chin.

Ummm, does that mean Moby sucks?
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back