Critical "darlings" and over-rated artists you just can't stand....
Oct 9, 2002 at 1:45 PM Post #17 of 66
You guys are just too cruel.

Oct 9, 2002 at 5:44 PM Post #18 of 66
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
ALL Rap
ALL Nu-Metal
ALL Pop

make mine:

All Rap
All Metal, period
All Pop

Oh, and i don't even have enough puke to accuratly express what i think of barbara streisand.

Oct 10, 2002 at 6:31 AM Post #21 of 66
Most forumulated commercial stuff.
Most commercial R&B
Most rap (there's some good stuff out there, it's very hard to find.. I'd never buy a cd, but I don't change the station if I hear it)
All 'Nu-Metal' that sits in the "Alternative" section at K-Mart.
For that matter, anything that sits in the "Alternative" section at K-Mart.
Celine Dion
Maria Carey
Anyone who can't hold a single note without adding REALLY annoying warbles to it.
Anything with bloopy synth melodies (alice deejay) that's played on radio stations 5 times a day.

Hm.. my list is too long.

There's plenty of stuff that I love despite being cheesy, being a fan of 80s music and all
wink.gif

Oct 11, 2002 at 7:39 AM Post #22 of 66
Categories:

-Just about anything played on the radio
-All hip-hop/rap
-Most metal
-Most so-called alternative
-Nearly-all techno

Individual artists:

-Metallica: a few good songs, but most suck big time
-Bill Leeb's projects: Front Line Assembly produced one good album (Tactical Neural Implant) and Delerium had some commercial success, but damn! This guy makes way too much music and the various projects are just redundant.
-Rammstein: why do people like this group so much? it's like Metallica and FLA combined and added German lyrics. Yuck.

Oct 12, 2002 at 3:53 AM Post #23 of 66
Too many to list, so I'll keep it concise.

All Nine Inch Nails derivatives
Pearl Jam knock offs (Creed can go to hell)
All Rapcore
All Rap
All Nu-Metal
All Bubblegum pop acts
All Latin noise
All Boy Bands
All prefab groups
Anyone in it "just for the money" or "for the broads" ie Kiss, Motley Crue, every commercial act of the last decade.

Oct 13, 2002 at 12:52 PM Post #24 of 66
Quote:

Originally posted by kerelybonto
Radiohead. I really think their music is terrible. Usually, even if I don't like a band, I can tell whether they're good.

Now that's an honorable quote. Good way to put it. I do dig on Radiohead big -- it took me a little bit, but even their electronic sounding stuff (i.e. Amnesiac) has almost become my favorite -- don't give up on them quite yet.
biggrin.gif

Oct 13, 2002 at 12:54 PM Post #25 of 66
I have to vote +1 on Moby. I like some of his stuff, but he's not nearly as good as the media makes him out to be. Someone tell him to stop singing, and if he follows through, I may just delete this post.

Oct 13, 2002 at 4:32 PM Post #26 of 66
Bjork
Radiohead
Tool
Godspeed You Black Emperor! and all of their 50 side projects
Orbital
The Orb
Underworld
The Hives, The Strokes, The White Stripes, etc.
Avril Lavigne
Depeche Mode
Nine Inch Nails
Bad Religion
The Pixies
Blur

punk in general
pop-punk
trance

Oct 13, 2002 at 7:42 PM Post #28 of 66
Aphex Twin. Sure, I like Richard James's music -- don't get me wrong. But it makes me physically ill when IDM reviewers dub him a genuis and a great composer. He makes loops and four-measure patterns, for Christ-cvnting sake.

Lou Reed. He can't sing, he has the intonation of a rest-home smoker *after* the operation, his music's rudimentary unless produced *really well* and besides, Mr. Edgy Integrity learned how to play guitar in a Jersey cover band.

Bruce Springsteen. He's dripping with concern for his fellow man and writes insufferably cheesy songs with titles like Born to Run and Hungry Heart. Just talking about him in the wrong way will incur the ire of men in plaid flannel shirts who brandish tire irons but still vote as democrats.

Yo La Tengo. Just can't get enough of that humble Hoboken mystique.

The Jesus and Mary Chain. "I know on some level they were pabulum but please don't talk about them that way because I'm thirty-four now and have kids and work in a floundering graphic design department and listening to them in high school was the last time my life had meaning (sob)!"

Guided by Voices. He must mean what he's saying -- after all, the production's calculatedly low budget and the execution's inept.

Every Floridian female singer who "redefines gender roles" by shaking her hiney and singing insipid pop songs. So you *can* be a fully autonomous individual and play with your sexuality? Get out. If only they'd known that in the days of George Sand and Marlene Dietrich.

Oct 14, 2002 at 11:47 AM Post #30 of 66
Radiohead
Coldplay
Blur/Gorillaz
Alicia Keys
Dave Matthews Band
Tool
Opeth
"symphonic/gothic" metal in general
black metal bands that decided to 'experiment' and ended up as crappy goth/techno bands
(newer) Emperor
Ozzy Osbourne
The Sex Pistols
the new breed of overhyped female singer/songwriters (ie. Michelle Branch, Avril Lavigne etc)
The Strokes
The Fugees and their subsequent solo projects
Moby (he should have stuck with the Vatican Commandos hahaha)
Fatboy Slim

and the list goes on...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back