crinacle's IEM Ranking List
Oct 29, 2018 at 9:08 PM Post #1,171 of 3,338
Yeah, I initially thought I had a sinus or ear infection as I have pretty bad environmental allergies (mainly attributed to working in an office where the carpeting was older than I am), but it all checked out. Sinus washes suck, but they do help.

Oct 29, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #1,172 of 3,338
Managed to try the U12t and U18t today and think I actually preferred the 12. I’ve got an order in for the custom A12t - hoping my preference for the U12 doesn’t mean I would prefer the N8! Main reason for my preference was the U12 sounding a bit fuller especially with vocals. Not sure how the N8 would compare in that respect? Unfortunately no demo seems to be available here.

Oct 30, 2018 at 3:20 AM Post #1,174 of 3,338
Managed to try the U12t and U18t today and think I actually preferred the 12. I’ve got an order in for the custom A12t - hoping my preference for the U12 doesn’t mean I would prefer the N8! Main reason for my preference was the U12 sounding a bit fuller especially with vocals. Not sure how the N8 would compare in that respect? Unfortunately no demo seems to be available here.

I tried all three of them and got the N8. I always liked hybrid designs, and the Bassins just fuller with the N8, while the U12t was more linear but still interesting (which the U18t to me was not). The N8 does emphasize bass more than the U12t, but not in th midbass, i.e. it's not about hitting harder but sounding just fuller, more powerful. Voices are very round with the N8, but I don't feel the bass intruding on the mids so I attribute this more to the softer treble of the N8.

Oct 30, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #1,175 of 3,338
@crinacle, have you heard the Focal Elegia or Clear at all? My jaw problems keep me from using the headphones for very long...

Do you know any IEMs similar, or if you haven't heard them, any IEMs that are more neutral toned with full male vocals? My IEMs and MDR-Z1R all have that Japanese tuning, so something with a more western tuning is preferred, where male vocals shine.

For comparison, I guess something like my Hyla's, but without the thinner mids. Same quick bass, if possible. Maybe a faster Oriolus mk2 would make more sense... My budget would be around $1K. These would be for rock and metal, which I felt the Elegia was best at. Else, I can look into a warmer cable

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2018 at 12:31 AM Post #1,177 of 3,338
Hey @crinacle, quick question for you: who did you get your se5u reshelled by? Or if you didn't end up making that purchase, who were you planning to go with? I know this probably isn't the right thread, but the (non-SE6U) spiral ear generals are all quite dead, and you're the only user I know who has recently looked into the process. I'm worried in particular about who could be trusted to do that penta-bore configuration and, moreover, how much it matters that it's neigh but impossible to get a reshell in its native silicone. I've seen some suggestions that the material is a contributing factor to its sound signature. Sorry to take this off-topic, but I figured I'd ask here as it's probably useful public knowledge to those who care about the caliber of iems you thoughtfully review.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2018 at 12:43 AM Post #1,178 of 3,338
@crinacle, have you heard the Focal Elegia or Clear at all? My jaw problems keep me from using the headphones for very long...

Do you know any IEMs similar, or if you haven't heard them, any IEMs that are more neutral toned with full male vocals? My IEMs and MDR-Z1R all have that Japanese tuning, so something with a more western tuning is preferred, where male vocals shine.

For comparison, I guess something like my Hyla's, but without the thinner mids. Same quick bass, if possible. Maybe a faster Oriolus mk2 would make more sense... My budget would be around $1K. These would be for rock and metal, which I felt the Elegia was best at. Else, I can look into a warmer cable

I'd consider the CE-5 to be more female-biased. Things like the Phantom, UE18+ Gen 2, VE8 or N8 would be male biased (with the VE8 being the most vocally-neutral of the lot). At $1k there's also used TG334s you can scout out for (actually I'm trying to sell mine, conflict of interest alert!).

Hey @crinacle, quick question for you: who did you get your se5u reshelled by? Or if you didn't end up making that purchase, who were you planning to go with? I know this probably isn't the right thread, but the (non-SE6U) spiral ear generals are all quite dead, and you're the only user I know who has recently looked into the process. I'm worried in particular about who could be trusted to do that penta-bore configuration and, moreover, how much it matters that it's neigh but impossible to get a reshell in its native silicone. I've seen some suggestions that the material is a contributing factor to its sound signature. Sorry to take this off-topic, but I figured I'd ask here as it's probably useful public knowledge to those who care about the caliber of iems you thoughtfully review.

I know a friend who does DIY IEMs who's experienced enough. He's done it before for a different friend into a silicone-filled acrylic shell; he doesn't do pure silicone shells. Said friend claims that he prefers the silicone-filled acrylic, but that's in comparison to a force-fit silicone custom so grain of salt and all that.

I think most reshell companies out there would be able to reshell a SE5U into an acrylic shell anyways, silicone being a different matter. I personally don't really care about material acoustics, I just want to listen to a SE5U. If Grzegorz refuses to provide universal samples or an ownership transfer policy then I'm taking whatever I can get.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2018 at 12:59 AM Post #1,179 of 3,338
I know a friend who does DIY IEMs who's experienced enough. He's done it before for a different friend into a silicone-filled acrylic shell; he doesn't do pure silicone shells. Said friend claims that he prefers the silicone-filled acrylic, but that's in comparison to a force-fit silicone custom so grain of salt and all that.

I think most reshell companies out there would be able to reshell a SE5U into an acrylic shell anyways, silicone being a different matter. I personally don't really care about material acoustics, I just want to listen to a SE5U. If Grzegorz refuses to provide universal samples or an ownership transfer policy then I'm taking whatever I can get.

Ah, thank you for your prompt reply!

I see, I see, well pointed on the possible compromise of silicone-filled acrylic, hadn't even thought of that. I'll review the options out there and see if any of those can do a hybrid design as you say.

What a dismal scenario really, especially for someone like myself a little light on monies for risky ciem purchases. I'm hoping for more than just the possibility of hearing the damn thing, but instead to be sticking with it exclusively as a daily driver for a few years. And yet here it seems I'm at the hands of an uncertain reconstruction process unless I can find it in my budget to buy it new. Perhaps it's best I find an alternative. Well, never mind my moping, thank you for the insights!

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #1,180 of 3,338

A&K x JH Audio Roxanne II rock (ha) with rock and male vocals.

Fit is a bit iffy though. It's quite heavy on the ears. Best to demo for an hour.

Nov 1, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #1,181 of 3,338
Ah, the good old NS-10 monitors! :) Only a few weeks back I talked to an award winning recording and mixing engineer and he told me he can´t get enough of the NS-10 sound and still uses them for mixing, because he cares most about getting the mids "right".
So yes, the PP8 definitely sounds like a nearfield monitor. Maybe, if the new Sony Z1R holds up to its promises, I´ll get that "floor box" as a complimentary sounding IEM (at least if somebody kindly donates 2 grand on my bank account)
I also talked some time ago with an experienced audio engineer (don't know about award winning, but he used to work at Abbey Road Studios) and he told me that the real reason why so many recording studios ALSO use NS-10 monitors, which is not a particularly good sounding speaker, is that they need to make sure their recordings sound good even on average equipment, as most users are not too sophisticated in terms of the equipment they use. I guess we are sort of a crazy minority (but growing every day).

Nov 1, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #1,182 of 3,338
I also talked some time ago with an experienced audio engineer (don't know about award winning, but he used to work at Abbey Road Studios) and he told me that the real reason why so many recording studios ALSO use NS-10 monitors, which is not a particularly good sounding speaker, is that they need to make sure their recordings sound good even on average equipment, as most users are not too sophisticated in terms of the equipment they use. I guess we are sort of a crazy minority (but growing every day).
I would prefer the term enthusiast :sunglasses:

Anyways, speaking of recording studios. Does anyone know why Japanese recordings sound better in general compared to the average recording?

They sound cleaner with better tactile impact and dynamics imo.

Superior equipment or better mastering?

Nov 1, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #1,183 of 3,338

Anyways, speaking of recording studios. Does anyone know why Japanese recordings sound better in general compared to the average recording?

I've heard some crappy J-recordings. I've also heard very good Scandinavian recordings. Good NL recordings, German, etc.. It's about how knowlegeable with recording and mastering. It's all there in the album, studios and producers of recordings that sound best.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #1,184 of 3,338

It depends. There are lots of crappy sounding J records, mostly jpop though IMO. The good ones are actually English/foreign songs remastered to SHM CDs

Nov 1, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #1,185 of 3,338
Exactly. When I was in the studios to check on the mixes, I always said "WOW" when the engineer switched from the NS10 to the BIG ones, but after about 10 seconds he switched back and I was like: "No no no, please, why do you do that? Do we have to mix it on the small ones? Because it sounded so great on the other boxes." And he was like: "Yeah, but it´s rather easy to mix something that sounds good on the big ones, but if you mix the record in a way that it sounds great on the NS10 then the song will sound exceptionally out of the big ones."
That being said, the PP8, for me, doesn´t sound like the NS-10, but like really good near-fields.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back