crinacle's IEM Ranking List
Aug 31, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #781 of 3,338
I received my sony ex-1000, and I have discovered that with a seal formed by a tip only large enough to fit past the first narrowing of your ear when you tug your earlobe lightly, and with tidals normalize volume on (these iem's give new meaning to the definition of sensitive) sibilance disappeared (for me).
If you can't get the correct seal with any tips, realize that you haven't actually heard what they are supposed to sound like.

Aug 31, 2018 at 10:24 PM Post #782 of 3,338
Kind of a bit off topic but does anyone else enjoy single driver IEMs?

They don't have the coverage multi-drivers do but their coherency is very good. Not to mention they're lightweight and comfortable too generally.

Aug 31, 2018 at 10:28 PM Post #783 of 3,338

They don't have the coverage multi-drivers do but their coherency is very good. Not to mention they're lightweight and comfortable too generally.
I do enjoy my poverty yes. Been enjoying my Soundmagic PL50, Vsonic Gr07, Fiio F3 and iBasso it01 :D

Aug 31, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #784 of 3,338
I received my sony ex-1000, and I have discovered that with a seal formed by a tip only large enough to fit past the first narrowing of your ear when you tug your earlobe lightly, and with tidals normalize volume on (these iem's give new meaning to the definition of sensitive) sibilance disappeared (for me).
If you can't get the correct seal with any tips, realize that you haven't actually heard what they are supposed to sound like.

I completely agree, I usually use spiral dots m but the ex1000 has a slightly longer and narrower sound tube so a deeper fit with spiral dots ms was best with these for me. They sound fantastic and do not lack bass with the deeper fit.

Aug 31, 2018 at 11:33 PM Post #785 of 3,338

I enjoy my Vega outside than Andromeda due to better bass performance under urban noise

Aug 31, 2018 at 11:37 PM Post #786 of 3,338
I enjoy my Vega outside than Andromeda due to better bass performance under urban noise

Pretty normal. I take the subway everyday and sub-bass/mid-bass is the first thing to go.

Basically why I use No Surprises as my test track for IEMs. If I can’t hear that sub-bass and upper treble sparkle, I’m done with it.

Sep 1, 2018 at 12:03 AM Post #787 of 3,338
Pretty normal. I take the subway everyday and sub-bass/mid-bass is the first thing to go.

Basically why I use No Surprises as my test track for IEMs. If I can’t hear that sub-bass and upper treble sparkle, I’m done with it.
Or it's just a damn fit with the atmosphere on the subway in the morning.

......A heart that's full up like a landfill
A job that slowly kills you
Bruises that won't heal
You look so tired, unhappy

Sep 1, 2018 at 12:11 AM Post #788 of 3,338
Or it's just a damn fit with the atmosphere on the subway in the morning.

......A heart that's full up like a landfill
A job that slowly kills you
Bruises that won't heal
You look so tired, unhappy

Never thought of it that hahahah

Sep 1, 2018 at 12:42 AM Post #790 of 3,338
Can anyone tell me about the Tia Trio apart from just being "the more correct and meatier version of the Fourte"? I plan to buying it blind but I never tried the Fourte either. Many reviews I have read online seem to focus on bass and treble but what about the mid? How is the overall tonality in comparison to something like the Andromeda?

Sep 1, 2018 at 12:50 AM Post #791 of 3,338
Glam shots courtesy of @Snekismyfriend, whenever his Head-Fi account comes online I guess.

n8pic1.jpg

n8pic2.JPG

(Note that I still don't have them, but they should be with me next week.)

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2018 at 12:56 AM Post #792 of 3,338
@crinacle , it would be nice if there is an extra column indicating whether the iems listed are universal, custom or both. And do you (or anyone here) have any experience with custom eartips? Because i can't seem to have a good fit on iems causing a pretty obvious imbalance, a problem i don't have with headphones.

Sep 2, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #794 of 3,338
So I bought the Sony MDR-EX1000 from another user here based on @crinacle 's ratings (which I mostly agree with).

The imaging, staging, detail and soundstage of this IEM is ridiculously good. The only IEM I've listened to that has similar levels of detail and presentation are Zeus XIV and ER4SR but the ER4SR does not have the same level of imaging and extension, especially in the bass as the EX1000 and the Zeus XIV does not have the same bass texture and naturalness or realism in vocals. The EX1000 just sounds so vivid. It does a great job of presenting and portraying an image of where the singer(s) and instruments are spatially located and their boundaries and relative distance and also providing a very clear and detailed image. The music also has a nice natural and life-like texture to the sound and doesn't sound boring or clinical.

I'm currently using: TIDAL offline + Spiral Dots + EX1000 + 3.5mm stock cable + Cayin N5ii (medium gain). I find the earphone very unforgiving and very sensitive to the quality of the recording. The better the song is recorded, the better the song sounds and the opposite is also true in a very noticeable manner.

However, this is definitely not a warm or easy going IEM. It's a bit fatiguing because amount and depth of information being relayed. Comfort is surprisingly good considering how scary the cable + hooks look. I suspect it's because of the single dynamic driver and light weight of the shell. Isolation is very poor. It's definitely for home or office listening and it would be terrible on the subway.

This one is a keeper for me!

Sep 3, 2018 at 12:17 AM Post #795 of 3,338
So I bought the Sony MDR-EX1000 from another user here based on @crinacle 's ratings (which I mostly agree with).

The imaging, staging, detail and soundstage of this IEM is ridiculously good. The only IEM I've listened to that has similar levels of detail and presentation are Zeus XIV and ER4SR but the ER4SR does not have the same level of imaging and extension, especially in the bass as the EX1000 and the Zeus XIV does not have the same bass texture and naturalness or realism in vocals. The EX1000 just sounds so vivid. It does a great job of presenting and portraying an image of where the singer(s) and instruments are spatially located and their boundaries and relative distance and also providing a very clear and detailed image. The music also has a nice natural and life-like texture to the sound and doesn't sound boring or clinical.

I'm currently using: TIDAL offline + Spiral Dots + EX1000 + 3.5mm stock cable + Cayin N5ii (medium gain). I find the earphone very unforgiving and very sensitive to the quality of the recording. The better the song is recorded, the better the song sounds and the opposite is also true in a very noticeable manner.

However, this is definitely not a warm or easy going IEM. It's a bit fatiguing because amount and depth of information being relayed. Comfort is surprisingly good considering how scary the cable + hooks look. I suspect it's because of the single dynamic driver and light weight of the shell. Isolation is very poor. It's definitely for home or office listening and it would be terrible on the subway.

This one is a keeper for me!
Oh btw, how's your fit with it? I find it sounding even better the deeper the fit goes. I used Sony S tips and then stuck it in real deep inside my ears. Other than that, I also removed the foam filters placed on the nozzle. I find the foams limiting the dynamics quite a bit. It does get a bit brighter but there's no ugly distortion to speak of

Users who are viewing this thread

Back