crinacle's IEM Ranking List
Dec 4, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #1,352 of 3,338
This is a failed attempt on replacement cable for the MH755, the left channel is now around 5 to 8db lower than the right one.
Gonna swap the driver around to see if the cheap cable I'm using is the problem or I broke the driver somehow.

a1889b8f-4246-4899-aac8-3d3d496636a3.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #1,354 of 3,338
Is this a place to ask for recommendations? I've been struggling with find an IEM for a while and Im understandably afraid to spend money on something I may not like so id like to reduce the possibility as much as I can. I am aware that the only way to reduce that completely is to listen to the IEMs in question but this doesn't seem to be a practical thing to do for me.

Also I use these at work so I need to keep the price somewhat reasonable in case they walk off it won't hurt too much.

Here is where I'm at....Ive been using Zero Audio Carbo Tenores for a while now. I like their clarity and their forwardness....I've never liked their bass though...its a bit light for my taste.

I went to them from the monoprice 8320s? I can't remember the exact model the "bass enhanced ones" that were the budget rage around here a while ago. They were decent and had good bass but they were mostly congested and muffled a lot of the time and the mids and high to an extent were a bit recessed.

so Im looking to step up from these two...I want the clarity, I want the forwardness but I also want the bass..I don't want anything to be that recessed.

I tried a set of LZ-A4s and while they did appear to be a marked improvement over both the Tenores and the Monoprice IEMs, they were incredibly uncomfortable in my ears. Part of the body of the IEM was resting on part of my ear and after about 10 minutes it started to hurt. So I haven't really listened to them a ton. So yes they are better than the two but I cant tell how much better it really pinpoint what was better.

My price range may be difficult...its 1 to 200 dollars.

some IEMs in my price range from the list VSonic GR07 Classic or Bass well rated here but build issues, probably not surprising at this price point though, and there seems to be some weird treble issues with it? Then I'm not even sure Id notice or care if I did honestly though.

someone recommended the iBasso IT01 but there are those that say its too v shaped....I don't want something really v shaped. I dislike hearing things like vocals that sound distant....

then there is the jump to the MD+ IEMs. These seem like they could fit the bill but are out of my price range, that said if they are exactly what Im looking for and where I may ultimately end up if I can't find something satisfactory in the hundred dollar range then spending the money now would be smart because Ill spend it eventually anyway.

Anything else I should be looking at that Im missing? Also if this is wrong out out of line in anyway sorry you can remove it....

If you want something bassier than the Tenores, you'll probably have to go pretty far in terms of bass... perhaps the Oriolus Finschi in that case.

Hi @crinacle i hope you won't mind if i ask more questions regarding the MH755.. could you help ask your friend with the modded pair, what replacement cables did he use on the MH755? I am trying to find cables that will not change the (already good) sound signature of the earbuds..

Thanks so much!

I'm not sure what is the exact cables he used but I swapped it with my own quite often. I'm not very sensitive to cable changes so I'm not the best person to ask about this, sorry.

Dec 5, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #1,355 of 3,338
If you want something bassier than the Tenores, you'll probably have to go pretty far in terms of bass... perhaps the Oriolus Finschi in that case.

Maybe I had a bass light pair then because I remember there being some variation with them with people were buying them a lot. The other issue I had with the tenores was the seal..it was so good that it would feel like the put a vacuum on my ear drums at times and it could get very uncomfortable. I don't know if that's a normal thing with IEMs but it wasn't anything I had experienced before. Also it seems to negatively affect the sound with they were like that, I would have to re insert then to get it right so it the pressure was relieved.

I broke my pair messing with the a while back so maybe I could just try another pair of them or is there anything better than the tenores in the 1 to 200 dollar range?

Dec 5, 2018 at 8:05 PM Post #1,356 of 3,338

I'm not sure what is the exact cables he used but I swapped it with my own quite often. I'm not very sensitive to cable changes so I'm not the best person to ask about this, sorry.
What is your opinion on the Oriolus Finschi? I don't remember seeing you comment on it.

Dec 5, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #1,357 of 3,338
Dec 6, 2018 at 4:58 AM Post #1,359 of 3,338
I have the iFi BL and I have to say, the X-bass is indeed a magic switch and the best part; it's not overly bassy. I avoid 3D+ switch like a plague though as it alters the sound-signature to something that my ears do not like listening to. That black box is a great All-in-One solution under $750 (you can even find em for $350 - $600) for IEMs & Desktop Headphone, something I will be using for a while as I slowly upgrade my sources and gears.

Good/decent pairing with my ZMF Atticus and Sony N3 IEM so no qualms.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2018 at 8:41 PM Post #1,360 of 3,338
Hi @crinacle -- I read, a couple pages back (well more like 60 pages back), that you listed the Inear SD5 as one of those IEMs with really good vocals. Also I saw your comment on reddit about the Canalworks U77 and how the midrange is the star of the IEM. How would you compare the two in terms of vocal presence and midrange in general?
What I'm looking for in an IEM are as follows: Vocals that are warm and hefty and are forwardly positioned. Bass that north of neutral but still clean and mid-bass that is not too in-your-face (i.e. not too mid-bassy like the Empire ears X series). Some sparkles in treble -- not too sharp not too laid-back.
Or do you and any other suggestions other than the two mentioned above?

Really appreciate what you've done for the community here! I figured I would ask you since most of your one-line impressions are similar to mine (e.g. ESR, W900, FIBAE3 and so on).

Dec 6, 2018 at 8:56 PM Post #1,361 of 3,338
Hi @crinacle -- I read, a couple pages back (well more like 60 pages back), that you listed the Inear SD5 as one of those IEMs with really good vocals. Also I saw your comment on reddit about the Canalworks U77 and how the midrange is the star of the IEM. How would you compare the two in terms of vocal presence and midrange in general?
What I'm looking for in an IEM are as follows: Vocals that are warm and hefty and are forwardly positioned. Bass that north of neutral but still clean and mid-bass that is not too in-your-face (i.e. not too mid-bassy like the Empire ears X series). Some sparkles in treble -- not too sharp not too laid-back.

Really appreciate what you've done for the community here! I figured I would ask you since most of your one-line impressions are similar to mine (e.g. ESR, W900, FIBAE3 and so on).
My current set up is just as you described (zeus xiv>8 core silver cable>sony nw wm1a).

Dec 6, 2018 at 11:11 PM Post #1,362 of 3,338
Bought the SBH56 from seller "Allizwell2k10" total impulse buy after reading about it shortly. Figured it was safe and after you factor in a bluetooth adapter and a USB-C cable it was worth the extra cost to make sure I received a legit one. Definitely sub-bassy which is ok for fun ones. I quickly looked through the ones I have measured and came up with several earphones that border on the Harman target curve but each with slightly differences, mostly in the bass region.

-KZ ED9 gold and brass filters
-GGMM C800 (relatively unhyped around here, but some heavy chi-fi users said these were ones to get. Can be had for $10 most of the time.
-MW755 (mine are bassier ~5db more than what @crinacle measured, but my measurement system is not calibrated)

See graphs here, I don't have any qualitative impressions at this time.
upload_2018-12-6_22-4-18.png

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2018 at 12:30 AM Post #1,363 of 3,338
Bought the SBH56 from seller "Allizwell2k10" total impulse buy after reading about it shortly. Figured it was safe and after you factor in a bluetooth adapter and a USB-C cable it was worth the extra cost to make sure I received a legit one. Definitely sub-bassy which is ok for fun ones. I quickly looked through the ones I have measured and came up with several earphones that border on the Harman target curve but each with slightly differences, mostly in the bass region.

-KZ ED9 gold and brass filters
-GGMM C800 (relatively unhyped around here, but some heavy chi-fi users said these were ones to get. Can be had for $10 most of the time.
-MW755 (mine are bassier ~5db more than what @crinacle measured, but my measurement system is not calibrated)

See graphs here, I don't have any qualitative impressions at this time.
Can you post graphs for the t2 and the KC2, I would like to know the bass on these iems relative to each other. If not, can you tell me which is bassier from your experience.

Dec 7, 2018 at 12:40 AM Post #1,364 of 3,338
Can you post graphs for the t2 and the KC2, I would like to know the bass on these iems relative to each other. If not, can you tell me which is bassier from your experience.

T2 has a drier bass (I call it sub-bass roll off). It doesn't have quite that last bit of umph. The treble is brighter too on the T2. If you are treble sensitive then the KC2 is a better choice. The KC2 has a little more sense of sub-bass. The Chi-fi threads are probably a better place for discussion for it, but here is the graph. Sorry I cannot turn off the last measurement which was the MH755.
Pink is KC2, T2 is orange
upload_2018-12-6_23-37-55.png

[/spolier]

Dec 8, 2018 at 1:50 AM Post #1,365 of 3,338

The author of the post with the Canalworks U77 is @toranku, I unfortunately haven't got the opportunity to try Canalworks models since my first time a couple of years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back