crinacle's IEM Ranking List
Jan 18, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #1,577 of 3,338
Hi,

Currently using Etymotic ER3XR's mainly for their sound isolation for when I am outside. My one complaint is that they sound a bit too bright (? not sure if that is the word). I just got word that the Massdrop Plus is back in stock and I am considering getting that instead. Would it be worth the upgrade?

Jan 20, 2019 at 1:23 AM Post #1,578 of 3,338
thanks crinacle, but i wanted to know in little more detail why do you think trio is better than the flagship fourte and from your list it shows that u12t seems to be better than both trio and fourte how is that possible that a third or evern fourth ranking inear is able to be better than the flagship just curious, anyway I wanted to say your list is brilliant and I am only asking about 64 audio iems because I have not listened to them but for the rest of the iems I have had a listen ,your list is pretty accurate so thanks for your trained ears and hard-work

Trio's tonal balance is more correct than the Fourte despite the smaller staging and resolution. 12t is great in general; the bass isn't DD but still rather exceptional for a BA. Price and flagship status does not correlate to sound quality.

@crinacle between Sony M9, SD5 and PP8, which has the most detail retrieval? or is there one particular one that sticks out the most in your opinion.

i currently have a 1650 which i enjoy very much due to its energetic nature,

looking for something abit more similar to my ER4SR but not as "dead"

shortlisted FitEar Parterre but feedback seems like it excels for acoustic/classical most

cheers

PP8 is the most resolving to my ears but also the driest. M9 is the middle ground of the three. If you want something not as "dead" as the ER4SR, avoid the PP8.

@crinacle Will you be demoing the new AAW lineup? It seems quite promising

I'll shoot them an email and see how it goes.

Hi,

Currently using Etymotic ER3XR's mainly for their sound isolation for when I am outside. My one complaint is that they sound a bit too bright (? not sure if that is the word). I just got word that the Massdrop Plus is back in stock and I am considering getting that instead. Would it be worth the upgrade?

MD+ is warmer than the ER4. Haven't heard the ER3 so I can't comment. More of a sidegrade than upgrade IMO.

Jan 20, 2019 at 2:06 AM Post #1,579 of 3,338
The price to sound relation could not be truer more expensive does not equal better, same with having hundreds of drivers does not equal to better sound, like I asked before crinacle what is that one iem that does it for where you can just sit down put the iems in and just float away, like the one iem or a few iems that really catch your eye, as your probably they few people that have actually listened to many iems, also another quick question regarding the comparison between the u12t and trio which would be all rounder which also focuses more on detail, clarity and nice soundstage and some nice body not too thin.

Jan 20, 2019 at 2:57 AM Post #1,580 of 3,338
Re

You may also consider a MH750 which is a normal length iem that comes with a mic and is the free earphone that comes with the Sony Xperia smartphones while the MH755 is a super short IEM which comes with sony's bluetooth player.

MH750 is slightly different from MH755, there was a graph somewhere which says the MH750 has a bigger bass boost compared to the MH755.

There are 2 ways of getting the MH755.
1) Getting one of the sony bluetooth player and you can be 100% sure that it is genuine MH755.
2) Getting one from the resellers. From what I know, sony was making these in huge quantity. Therefore the only way to get them is in huge boxes like these:
O1CN011UF5T6Fu74feLfM_!!3996652487.png

More information from one of the sellers from taobao for the white MH755(selling at 20rmb):
1) These required burn in.
2) The white version is new old stock from 2013 ( I finally understood what the seller really meant after reading the sentence for a few more times)
3) One order can come in 10 thousand earphones, that's why the price is cheaper than cabbage. Super good price to performance ratio.
4) Really have to respect Sony's manufacturing and choice of raw material. These have been in the warehouse for 5 years, no yellowing and no stickyness.
5) BUT!! the black version of MH755 is very very rare, which is why i sell them at 80rmb. So whoever is selling lower than this, you should know (implying that it is fake)
6) One way to see if it is genuine/authentic, look at the date and serial number:
O1CN0126Xp4mewWNIrpZQ_!!41587672.jpg

Authentic ones should have the same number at 3 places:
1) 13W36 (made in 2013 week 36)
2) the first 4 character of the serial number is 1336
3) there is another 1336 on the wrapping packages.

Disclaimer: I just try to translate what I see to share information for all those who are interested in the MH755. I am in no way related to the seller. Some of the information do seem fishy to me, but this is one of the top sellers for sony accessories in taobao.
I did order from taobao using taobao forwarding agent and the MH755 is on the way to me. I do also managed to find a used sony bluetooth player that comes with the black MH755 in my local marketplace(yet to receive them).
I love the Sony mh 755, cheap and sounds great. I bought a cable extension to go with it. I found the mh 750 to be basey for me

Jan 20, 2019 at 3:37 AM Post #1,581 of 3,338
The price to sound relation could not be truer more expensive does not equal better, same with having hundreds of drivers does not equal to better sound, like I asked before crinacle what is that one iem that does it for where you can just sit down put the iems in and just float away, like the one iem or a few iems that really catch your eye, as your probably they few people that have actually listened to many iems, also another quick question regarding the comparison between the u12t and trio which would be all rounder which also focuses more on detail, clarity and nice soundstage and some nice body not too thin.

That IEM would be the UE18+ 2nd Gen for me. The 12t would be a better all rounder I guess, but the Trio has slightly thicker notes.

Jan 20, 2019 at 4:26 AM Post #1,582 of 3,338
sorry i noticed you described the EX800 as a warmer version of the EX1000,

by that do u mean that the EX800 retains the similar level of detail and imaging as the EX1000 but with a tad more of warmth?

thanks

Jan 20, 2019 at 5:07 AM Post #1,585 of 3,338
That IEM would be the UE18+ 2nd Gen for me.
The UE website shows 18+ 3rd Gen, any significant differences in your opinion with 2nd Gen? Thanks

Jan 20, 2019 at 6:15 AM Post #1,586 of 3,338
sorry i noticed you described the EX800 as a warmer version of the EX1000,

by that do u mean that the EX800 retains the similar level of detail and imaging as the EX1000 but with a tad more of warmth?

thanks

EX800 is warmer and easier to listen to, though at the cost of sheer resolution.

The UE website shows 18+ 3rd Gen, any significant differences in your opinion with 2nd Gen? Thanks

Wrote about it here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cri...ies-19-08-update.857498/page-38#post-14340149

Jan 20, 2019 at 6:28 AM Post #1,587 of 3,338
Jan 20, 2019 at 7:16 AM Post #1,588 of 3,338
Woo! I just found this thread. This is really interesting.

Personally I am Final audio fans especially to their recent E-series and MAKE series. I am kind of happy to see them being so priced competitive with the other IEM which falls into the same rank! Yay! :gs1000smile:

Jan 20, 2019 at 7:33 AM Post #1,589 of 3,338
Hey crinacle I also wanted to know your thoughts on the latest campfire solaris did it not live up to the hype as from your list its seems to be in a lower category compared to the likes of trio or u12t ,what was lacking in the iem, I personally think the midrange is very important so between the three which would have the strongest midrange and some general thoughts on the solaris as it was supposed to be like a budget totl compared to the current crazy prices of totl iems, the reason I brought up solaris was becuase I loved the andromeda but the fit was bad and then the solaris turned out to be even larger, I still dont want to spent tia fourte money tbh

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #1,590 of 3,338
Hey crinacle I also wanted to know your thoughts on the latest campfire solaris did it not live up to the hype as from your list its seems to be in a lower category compared to the likes of trio or u12t ,what was lacking in the iem, I personally think the midrange is very important so between the three which would have the strongest midrange and some general thoughts on the solaris as it was supposed to be like a budget totl compared to the current crazy prices of totl iems, the reason I brought up solaris was becuase I loved the andromeda but the fit was bad and then the solaris turned out to be even larger, I still dont want to spent tia fourte money tbh

If you're buying based sorely on midrange then the trio is probably the way you should go. I liked it but went with the A12t. The A12t has better slam and if you listen to music with fast and hard hitting bass, it excels in that area. But to keep up with the speed you give up on natural decay sounding bass. The music I listen to doesn't really need natural decay sounding bass so I'm ok with it. It's not bad, but if you like the natural decay sound of a DD, then you have to go hybrid.

Also, the CIEM version sounds a bit better than the universal version as the seal is better and always there unlike the universal version. If you don't get a good seal with the U12t, you might miss out on hearing how good the bass slams with quality.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back