crinacle's IEM Ranking List
Nov 1, 2017 at 7:37 PM Post #136 of 3,338
I can only chip in regarding the U6 which is what I have, and I really enjoy them. When I first got them I thought they were overly warm, but over time you learn to appreciate that the sound is whole and true sounding with excellent layering and separation. It is definitely a warmer, smoother sounding IEM but it still has good detail in the treble.

I use mine with the M15 module to bring out a little more air in the sound, and they sound best with this module in my opinion.

Thanks for giving out your opinion :)

For your preference, I highly recommend getting the Spartan ADEL. I have mine with MAM module, and I use it fully-opened. The Spartan for me is a highly balanced IEM. It has a neutral tonality, not sounding too bright, nor too warm. Its technical abilites IMO is its strength, and highlight. Great separation/layering, transparency, and resolution. Listening to it also feels very immersive, because of its huge soundstage. Arguably larger than my DITA Dream, which is big enough. The details are clear, and apparent. It presents each notes with good dexterity, individual instruments are distinguishable, and coherent playing together. It is a good IEM for listening many kinds of music, due to its balanced tonality. Most instruments sounded just right with the Spartan, portraying decent timbre accuracy. It is a little bit more to the warm side, because I feel that female vocals could be slightly leaner, and brighter to sound accurate. Male vocals are pretty realistic though.

Hmm that's what they said to me, friends and Pinkypowers of THL.

First I would really like to love the andromeda but hearing them for 3-4 hours, it is just 10-15% better than my new primacy, they sounded somehow distant to me like im sitting at the front seat of a concert but, I am would like just to be me and them, performing for me personally.

Spartan is somehow mid forward, or slightly forward I guess but never auditioned it really.

Or wait until Feb to buy the EE Hermes. But I would really consider spartan for this. :)

Thanks!

Nov 1, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #137 of 3,338
IEM "stores" where you can "audition" them. Is this a foreign concept to anyone else that follows this thread? Here in the MW USA we have BestBuy and that's about it. Closest I can come to auditioning items is at a head-fi meet or live-sound workshop where companies like 64audio may be. Any other ideas on how I can hear more IEMs in Central Illinois?

Best(and maybe only way) is to go on short trip to Tokyo, SIngapore or Hong Kong.
\

Fortunate for us in the Philippines, we have a lot of stores offering a lot of choices. You just have to be cautious in buying because having a lot of stores doesn't mean that they offer the same quality of items. There are stores here especially in "Divisoria" where you can find most of the counterfeit items sold, most of them from China.

Nov 2, 2017 at 1:50 AM Post #138 of 3,338
\

Fortunate for us in the Philippines, we have a lot of stores offering a lot of choices. You just have to be cautious in buying because having a lot of stores doesn't mean that they offer the same quality of items. There are stores here especially in "Divisoria" where you can find most of the counterfeit items sold, most of them from China.
Which stores are you talking about? Divisoria, please don't start there. Nobody cares about counterfeits.

Japan still has the best headphone/audio store I have seen. It's like all items/all brand are there in one place. When in Tokyo don't miss e-earphone, Fujiya Avic and of course Yodobashi.

HK is similar to Japan, Singapore has plenty of stores but not as big as the ones in Japan or HK. It's also a little bit more expensive.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017 at 5:56 AM Post #140 of 3,338
Hi Crinacle,

Your IEM list is insightful to say the least. I wanted to know your opinion of the RHA CL-1 vs A&K T8i. Basically, I'm looking for the most suitable sub $1000 IEM to use with my Astell & Kern Kann. Any specific advice on that front?

Thanks.

I go with the opposite philosophy, I look for the most suitable source to go with my IEMs, not the other way round. From reading, it seems like the CL-1 is treble murder so unless you have that very specific preference, don't go for it.

Hi! I would appreciate everyone's help here..

I am this point of choosing.
Should I go with Empire ears spartan IV ADEL UNIVERSAL OR 64 AUDIO U6.

I want to take care of my hearing and got interested in the 2 mentioned abbove

My referrence would be mids, seperation transparency, layering.
Warm or bright Im ok with it.. but I do prefer a warm or slightly warm sig..

Thanks in advanced sine crinacle was able to listen to heaps of iem :) thanks again!

64 Audio tends to be on a smooth, intimate side of the house sound. Granted, it's been a while since I heard the U6 but I wouldn't recommend their products in general for someone who values separation and transparency. Then again, you prefer a warm-ish signature which is what 64 does best so I don't really know...

I'm considering getting a pair of ultimate ear pro 18+, however, compare to products with 64 audio which the claim to have apex technology with reduce ear pressure. I wonder comfort-wise, how you compare UE pro 18+ with 64 audio products? Do you feel any ear air pressure issue when trying out UE Pro 18+?

APEX is basically just a glorified vent. I guess it can work in relieving pneumatic pressure but I see it as a roundabout way of increasing soundstage.

You ears may vary. I don't know if you are sensitive to pressure build-up or not (I'm not). If you are, I guess ADEL/APEX or a dynamic-driver IEM would be best.

Nov 2, 2017 at 6:35 AM Post #141 of 3,338
Same here. You try out various sources with all the best iem candidates. You consider the ones that brings out the best in them your reference when trying out other iems.

It's valuable to have a reference source on hand to gauge iem performance.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #143 of 3,338
Can you explain this please '' Audeze LCDi4:

Low distortion, high resolution and excellent clarity marred by poor tuning which destroys timbre ''
Thanks,

The Audeze iSine 10 and the iSine 20 have a weird boost at 1000Hz which is very audible and just sounds odd. The i4 still has this weakness that has to be fixed by EQ.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2017 at 12:41 AM Post #144 of 3,338
So I got to borrow a friend's Sony 7550 today. Maybe it's a preference thing for me, but I sure don't see how they're so high on the list.

Is their current tier list ranking based on a mod or something?

Nov 3, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #145 of 3,338
So I got to borrow a friend's Sony 7550 today. Maybe it's a preference thing for me, but I sure don't see how they're so high on the list.

Is their current tier list ranking based on a mod or something?

for my taste, I also think Periodic Audio Be (B) should be rated little higher. I actually prefer it over almost any other DD IEMs including my CA Vega and IE800.

Nov 4, 2017 at 4:37 AM Post #148 of 3,338
Can you please elaborate what you like better? I've heard of but never heard a Periodic Audio iem.

You should definitely give them a listen.
Compare to the vega, periodic BE is more neutral yet it retains musicality of the vega. The Periodic Be comes really close to the Vega in terms of technicality and subjectively beats it in terms of timbre, but only with Silicon tips (i use spiral dots), therefore, it isn't quite capable of great sound combined with the isolation you get from foam tips; however if isolation didn't matter or I preferred silicon, I'd be tempted to save $1000 and just use the Be, however the build quality on the Vega is really good and sometimes i crave little boosted bass while commuting.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017 at 4:59 AM Post #149 of 3,338
AAW AXH
I've had a few friends tell me that this was treble murder before I had my opportunity. So I braced myself, ready for the daggers to pierce my ears, and... well, it wasn't that bad. It's definitely bright, but it's not murder. I guess for reference, the Kinera H3 is my personal definition of treble murder so the AXH was definitely not like that. The AXH has extremely good clarity and sparkle up in the treble, and you would think that it has thin mids, but it doesn't. The midrange is decently rounded and has enough warmth in it to escape sterility.

Grade: B

Sennheiser IE80S

The IE80S is the long awaited updated to the original IE80. At least, long waited by the mainstream masses, not by me. To memory, the IE80S sounds similar if not the same as the original, which is... well, bad is too strong a word, but I guess it's a literal "average". I would sooner pick some of the established chifi like TFZ or VSonic over this.

Grade: D

Shure SE215

The OG $100 powerhouse, known for being "value for money". Not exactly the case now but it's not that bad sounding, all things considered. A warm-ish V-shape with soft notes and muffled treble, but not much to complain about given low expectations.

Grade: D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back