crinacle's IEM Ranking List
Sep 10, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #826 of 3,338
Simple and clear reply, thx.

I own the Andromeda at the moment, I'm just thinking of exploring around a bit, since I have made a commitment be an IEM only guy.
Does the A18 sounds similar to the Andro?
I really like the Andro, but has been craving customs for a while and possibly better SQ as well.

Thanks again.
I had the U18 Tzar (universal version of the A18) and it trumps the Andro pretty easily in regards to details and sound quality (soundstage is wider on the U18 and the resolution is better). I found the signature overall to be a great all-rounder and pleasant. However, I found myself yearning for more micro-details and sold it to get myself the Flamenco.

Sep 12, 2018 at 1:57 AM Post #828 of 3,338
Hi @crinacle

which of the S class iems would you say is the most resolving? I assume it's the kse1500 which I have never heard.

I'm still kind of shaken by my listen to a 2 channel system. It's resolution and detail made my A12t sound dull and overly smooth...

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2018 at 4:46 AM Post #829 of 3,338
Hi @crinacle

What are your thoughts on the FIBAE1, FIBAE2, and FIBAE ME from Custom Art? I saw that you have measurements for all 3, but of their current models, ratings/impressions of just the FIBAE3 and Harmony 8.2. Are they similar to the older Music One/Music Two?

Thanks!

Sep 12, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #831 of 3,338
Hi @crinacle

What are your thoughts on the FIBAE1, FIBAE2, and FIBAE ME from Custom Art? I saw that you have measurements for all 3, but of their current models, ratings/impressions of just the FIBAE3 and Harmony 8.2. Are they similar to the older Music One/Music Two?

Thanks!

With quoting from Piotr on the website the Fibae 2 and Music Two are somewhat different beasts. "merging energetic and full-bodied bass of Ei.3 with high resolution and detail retrieval of Music Two." Big fan of Custom Art, excellent customer service and nice priced models in these days of multi $$ flagships. Think the Fibae ME could be my endgame.

Sep 12, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #833 of 3,338
ER3SR.

Sep 12, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #834 of 3,338
Hi @crinacle

which of the S class iems would you say is the most resolving? I assume it's the kse1500 which I have never heard.

I'm still kind of shaken by my listen to a 2 channel system. It's resolution and detail made my A12t sound dull and overly smooth...

I'd say maybe a tossup between Flamenco and KSE1500. But I find that the hard compromise for sheer resolution in IEMs even in the TOTL realm is usually timbre (due to emphasis on speed and transients over a more natural decay) and/or tone (due to focus towards higher frequencies to increase perceived detail).

Over the years I've learnt to dampen my expectations for different types of gear. A headphone isn't going to beat a good 2ch system, an IEM isn't going to beat a good headphone, a discrete desktop amplifier + DAC stack isn't going to beat a DAP etc. etc.. No IEM I've heard thus far comes even remotely close to a HD800 w/ SDR modifications and EQ'd to my specifications (that particular sound would probably be rated at a S+++ tier in this context) but I don't mind since I'm trading off a little bit of fidelity for less source pickiness, actual isolation and something that doesn't need to be constantly tethered to a desktop position.

Hi @crinacle

Thanks!

I have a hazy memory of the old Music lineup but I think the new FIBAE is a lot less warm and clearer. The ME has a rather intense downslope that I quite disliked. FIBAE3 is a nice model for someone looking for a forward, mid-centric-ish sound.

What amp would you recommend with the UE18+?

I like something colder or more "reference" as a foil to the 18+'s signature.

Sep 12, 2018 at 11:07 PM Post #835 of 3,338
I'd say maybe a tossup between Flamenco and KSE1500. But I find that the hard compromise for sheer resolution in IEMs even in the TOTL realm is usually timbre (due to emphasis on speed and transients over a more natural decay) and/or tone (due to focus towards higher frequencies to increase perceived detail).

Over the years I've learnt to dampen my expectations for different types of gear. A headphone isn't going to beat a good 2ch system, an IEM isn't going to beat a good headphone, a discrete desktop amplifier + DAC stack isn't going to beat a DAP etc. etc.. No IEM I've heard thus far comes even remotely close to a HD800 w/ SDR modifications and EQ'd to my specifications (that particular sound would probably be rated at a S+++ tier in this context) but I don't mind since I'm trading off a little bit of fidelity for less source pickiness, actual isolation and something that doesn't need to be constantly tethered to a desktop position.

I have a hazy memory of the old Music lineup but I think the new FIBAE is a lot less warm and clearer. The ME has a rather intense downslope that I quite disliked. FIBAE3 is a nice model for someone looking for a forward, mid-centric-ish sound.

I like something colder or more "reference" as a foil to the 18+'s signature.

I actually thinks the Flamenco got the best compromise of natural decay against its ultimate resolution. As you said, still not the best balance you can get amongst all sound systems regardless of type, but the best among iem systems so far.

Sep 13, 2018 at 12:40 AM Post #836 of 3,338
I'll give Atlas the benefit of the doubt, but I'm more or less certain with the Fourte's ranking. My initial listen of the Fourte were very positive but after a while there were some issues that make me doubt that it was worthy of a top tier position. Particularly, the tone of the midrange is very odd (timbre is fine) and it has an artificial stretching effect on the imaging where everything sounds wide and open.

Sep 13, 2018 at 2:09 AM Post #837 of 3,338
I'll give Atlas the benefit of the doubt, but I'm more or less certain with the Fourte's ranking. My initial listen of the Fourte were very positive but after a while there were some issues that make me doubt that it was worthy of a top tier position. Particularly, the tone of the midrange is very odd (timbre is fine) and it has an artificial stretching effect on the imaging where everything sounds wide and open.
I had the Fourte for a week and I have to say that the big open sound, with it's deep and full bass is what probably impressed me most. But I see your point, at least from my memory of them.

Sep 13, 2018 at 2:59 AM Post #838 of 3,338
I think the Tia Fourte/CFA atlas/FLC8s are underrated and the Sony EX1000 is greatly overrated...

I had the Fourte for a week and I have to say that the big open sound, with it's deep and full bass is what probably impressed me most. But I see your point, at least from my memory of them.

I wholeheartedly thinks the Fourte was OVERrated in the shootout.

It is just like a showcase of all the brand's know-hows and techs, but was too embarassed to find that they actually doesn't work well together.

tia is a good start - but it's too far from the end product. It gives lots of highs, LOTS, and much more than what the natural extension and overtones require. And rather peaky too.

As @crinacle had mentioned, the mids are odd and, I'd add, inaccurate. I won't even consider the timbre is right.

Bass is fine but the overall tone in the mids and highs render the fine-but-not-outstanding-by-today's-standard bass obsolete.

Soundstage is wide yes I'll give them that, but who cares about soundstage when the overall tone is off. And while the stage is wide, the positioning and relative size and tonal accuracy of nearly all instruments are off.

(curiously the cheaper trio doesn't suffer from this many deficiencies and I consider it to be a superior iem purely on sonical aspects)

Atlas on the other hand is a showcase of just one premium, old-school technology that had been refined and done right, ONLY TO BE RUINED COMPLETELY by a meticulously BUT WRONGLY DONE housing with no considerations on fit and retention in the canal. It sounds best when you sit still and hold it with your hands (or when the two shiny earpieces clinged together)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back