crinacle's IEM FR measurement database
Jan 9, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #76 of 1,335

The main point of my setup is to have something as portable as possible. Sure I can have a much more advanced rig with more powerful software on PC, but that wouldn't be feasible to bring around to measure gear willy-nilly.

The portability of the IMM-06 and its compatibility with mobile apps does basically the same thing, allowing me to measure up a lot of gear at various audio shops at my convenience. I'm not saying that what I measure will be 100% accurate (hell, nothing is 100% accurate even with all the couplers and standards available on the market) but at least it serves as a valid reference simply by virtue of a large volume of data.

Oh I didn't know you were doing it as portable. Very interesting stuff. So how do you emulate ear? What coupler do you use?

Jan 9, 2017 at 9:45 AM Post #77 of 1,335

Oh I didn't know you were doing it as portable. Very interesting stuff. So how do you emulate ear? What coupler do you use?

Here's my setup, from the first post:

SetupDayton IMM-06 with makeshift vinyl tube coupler, "FFT Plot" app on iOS

With this portable measuring rig, I was able to run around the country to take measurements off demo units. Will be updating this post and the imgur album as I get more and more opportunities to do so in the near future. Due to the nature of this setup, I will only be measuring IEMs.

Disclaimer: my measurements are not meant to be totally accurate or conformed to any standard. Do look at my Etymotic measurements as a frame of reference instead.

Every unit will undergo a right channel preliminary check at a 5-second averaged curve. The IEM tip will be forced into the tubing with as much of the bores exposed as possible, with the distance from mic to tip set at 12mm for standard inserts, 14mm for shallow inserts and 10mm for deep inserts.  
Left channel will then be checked. If the two curves are 90% similar (by observation), proper measurement will commence on the right channel.

Measurements are done on the "FFT Plot" app with the following settings:

1. Lossless white noise (.wav)
  2. 16384 data points
  3. HAMM window
  4. 60 second average under "Infinite"
  5. Mixed graph
  6. Decade scale

If inconsistencies are detected, measurements will be repeated on either the left or right channel (depending on situation I.E. channel imbalance), until a curve can be properly reproduced.

The coupler is simply a vinyl tube. Still in search for a industry-standard coupler that is compatible with this particular microphone.

Jan 9, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #78 of 1,335
AudioTools only supports octave smoothing which is more accurate on pink noise AFAIK. On FFT Plot the data input is raw and decale-scaled so white noise is used.

But to address your concerns, all measurements on the first post are all done on FFT Plot with white noise. 

piotrus-g: Yup, easy portable solution for doing quick and dirty IEM measurements. Pink Noise seems to work best with with AudioTools app, and White Noise world best with Spectrum Analyzer app. AudioTools app has better features, but Spectrum Analyzer gives better results.

Jan 9, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #79 of 1,335

Here's my setup, from the first post:

The coupler is simply a vinyl tube. Still in search for a industry-standard coupler that is compatible with this particular microphone.

Cool. You could probably have one made to order it's just a piece of steal after all, or if you're handy DIY on lathe. Making such coupler without going into too much precision is probably 30-50 bucks.

Jan 10, 2017 at 8:14 AM Post #81 of 1,335
Where can we get that? What materials?

Find a local workshop that has lathe and ask them if they are willing to do side project, the idea of coupler is pretty simple I'd say it's maybe an hour of work, tops, provided you have good design beforehand. I'd suggest stainless steal for material you need something that has as little vibrations as possible.

Jan 12, 2017 at 12:33 AM Post #82 of 1,335

Where can we get that? What materials?

Find a local workshop that has lathe and ask them if they are willing to do side project, the idea of coupler is pretty simple I'd say it's maybe an hour of work, tops, provided you have good design beforehand. I'd suggest stainless steal for material you need something that has as little vibrations as possible.

Just a metal tube is all? Or do I need to custom-order an IEC coupler with 8mm inner diameter?

Jan 12, 2017 at 7:00 AM Post #85 of 1,335

Just a metal tube is all? Or do I need to custom-order an IEC coupler with 8mm inner diameter?

I can send you a picture of how coupler looks like inside, but it's just a metal conically shapped tube, that connects to metal base part which has microphone mounted in it.

A picture would be great. I have a few contacts who does metalworking, though I'm not sure how precise their equipment are...

Jan 13, 2017 at 6:23 AM Post #86 of 1,335
Alright, will be heading out tomorrow for what may be my last big measurement session. Here's what on the agenda:

[size=12.8px]Noble Audio K10[/size] [size=12.8px]Noble Audio Katana[/size]
[size=12.8px]Noble Audio Django[/size]
[size=12.8px]Noble Audio Dulce Bass[/size]
[size=12.8px]Noble Audio Sage[/size]
[size=12.8px]Noble Audio Savant[/size]
[size=12.8px]Noble Audio Savannah[/size]
[size=12.8px]Noble Audio Trident[/size]
[size=12.8px]Audeze iSine 20[/size]
[size=12.8px]Audeze iSine 10[/size]
[size=12.8px]AKG K3003i[/size]
[size=12.8px]Shure KSE1500[/size]
[size=12.8px]Unique Melody Maestro V2[/size]
[size=12.8px]Unique Melody Miracle V2[/size]
[size=12.8px]Unique Melody Merlin V2[/size]
[size=12.8px]Unique Melody Martian[/size]
[size=12.8px]Westone W80[/size]
[size=12.8px]Westone W60[/size]
[size=12.8px]Westone W50[/size]
[size=12.8px]Westone W40[/size]
[size=12.8px]Westone W30[/size]
[size=12.8px]Westone W20[/size]
[size=12.8px]Westone W10[/size]
[size=12.8px]Westone UM Pro50[/size]
[size=12.8px]Westone UM Pro30[/size]
[size=12.8px]Westone UM Pro20[/size]
[size=12.8px]Westone UM Pro10[/size]
[size=12.8px]Sennheiser IE800[/size]
[size=12.8px]Klipsch X20i[/size]
[size=12.8px]Klipsch X12i[/size]
[size=12.8px]Klipsch XR8i[/size]
[size=12.8px]Klipsch X6i[/size]
[size=12.8px]Klipsch X4[/size]
[size=12.8px]JVC HA-FW01[/size]
[size=12.8px]Audio Technica ATH-LS400[/size]
[size=12.8px]Audio Technica ATH-LS300[/size]
[size=12.8px]Audio Technica ATH-LS200[/size]
[size=12.8px]Audio Technica ATH-LS70[/size]
[size=12.8px]Audio Technica ATH-LS50[/size]
[size=12.8px]Audio Technica ATH-E70[/size]
[size=12.8px]Audio Technica ATH-E50[/size]
[size=12.8px]Audio Technica ATH-E40[/size]
[size=12.8px]Audio Technica ATH-CKR100[/size]

No guarantees that all can be measured of course, but I'll try my best. Also just posting here for my reference (it can get really hard to keep track of everything sometimes 
tongue.gif
)

Jan 13, 2017 at 7:25 AM Post #89 of 1,335
  Rhapodio Galaxy v2, please

Unfortunately the store that I'll be going to does not carry Rhapsodio products. I'm trying to remember which store does in Singapore... the Solar and Galaxy V1 demos were in Zeppelin & Co. but the V2 still remains as elusive as ever.

Any locals got a clue?

Jan 13, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #90 of 1,335

It should have a diameter of 7.5mm an an effective length of 12.5mm. The latter should be the distance between the mic's membrane and the bottom of the earphone. Of course it's not possible to precisely positioning an earphone 12.5mm away but sort of. A V-shaped structure on top will be very helpful to fit the earphone. Some acoustic putty will do the rest.

A real 60318-4 coupler has some more complicated specs, but a metal tube with a nice mic should do the job.

Maybe it even would be possible to attach a chinese 711-clone to your mic: https://world.taobao.com/item/523280856235.htm?fromSite=main&abtest=12&rn=47b489241904fd83fc37500b57f0b898&sid=c19e09f7d5b74db020077125d0e89e96

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back